Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Harley place is having the test rides this weekend. Yesterday was pouring rain but today is nice so I went out. I test rode the V-Rod for about 30 minutes or so. Well, the whole time I was thinking "When does the power kick in on this thing??" No matter where it was on the tach, the thing just didn't feel like it wanted to GO. Ugh... I was NOT impressed. Turned so bloody slowly, engine braking sucked, etc.

The controls were weird too. It felt really weird having the right-turn signal on the right-hand control. I liked how it automatically shut off though, but that's it. Also, it felt strange reaching down next to your right hamstring to put the key in.

I was going to stick around to try out a Buell but never had time. Had to come home to get some food. I may go back and try it out this afternoon but I doubt it. Just didn't seem worth the trouble.

Also, there were about 60 other guys there testing bikes, all on their own Harleys. I was the ONLY sportbike there. Felt so out of place. On the upside, it was friggin hilarious watching the guys pull away on their bikes and they were stalling constantly. I don't mean, the rider stalled the bike trying to pull away. I mean, they start up the bike and it would stall. It took every Harley there (the ones belonging to people, not the test ones) about 3 tries to start up and stay running!!! hahahahahaha

When I got back on my bike and was getting ready to leave I had about 50 sets of eyes on me watching me. I felt like doing a rolling burnout but decided that having a bike that runs is rubbing it in enough :eek:nfloor

I've never appreciated my bike so much as I did on the ride home. Whenever any of you are getting tired of your bike or thinks it doesn't have enough power anymore, just go hop on a Harley for a while. When you get back on yours, you'll feel like you're on a rocket again!

Anyway, sorry if I offended any Harley owners here, but what a pile of overpriced pieces of crap.

HARLEY :pisson

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ya, I dropped by the local dealer here and it was funny hearing a salesman tell this older guy why he should drop 24 grand on a fatboy screaming eagle because it was "american made" and more of a bike than a metric.

sigh

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I actually heard the V-Rod made lots of low end power and was a very strong and fast bike. Sorry you didnt get to experience it like others.

·
Registered
376 Posts
decius said:

When I got back on my bike and was getting ready to leave I had about 50 sets of eyes on me watching me. I felt like doing a rolling burnout but decided that having a bike that runs is rubbing it in enough :eek:nfloor
:pisson
:lol

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ca$h said:
I actually heard the V-Rod made lots of low end power and was a very strong and fast bike. Sorry you didnt get to experience it like others.

it's all about frame of reference. coming from a cruiser to the uber sport cruiser vrod, yes it would feel incredible. but jumping on a v-rod from a modern sportbike would be a let down power-wise. I rode a riding buddy's v-rod, while I appreciate what H-D is doing trying to modernize their lineup in a unique way...this bike does not have the performance for me, especially in corners. I'll get back to you when the street rod comes out, that promises to be much better for sport cruising...but we'll see.

If I want low end torque and fun in the curves I'll take a 2005 speed triple over any of these harley cruisers.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Makes some sense. I know people who go from sportbikes to the Rod and enjoy it but in a different way. Less top speed but more torque

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The torque didn't seem to be there for me. From a stop, it was slow getting going. From a roll-on, it was slow getting going. It was just slow.

The street-rods were there too. I never got a chance to get on one of them though. I think I would find it more comfortable. Same general styling as the V-Rod but with more rear-set pegs (also some mechanical differences too of course).

·
Registered
488 Posts
eh, if I was to go for that type of bike, I would be more of a chopper type of guy anyway.. I either want to be facing death head on at 200mph on a sportbike or cruisin at 55mph reclined in a rolling two wheeled ottoman...no room in between..

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
decius said:
I've never appreciated my bike so much as I did on the ride home. Whenever any of you are getting tired of your bike or thinks it doesn't have enough power anymore, just go hop on a Harley for a while. When you get back on yours, you'll feel like you're on a rocket again!
That's pretty funny. I have no desire for a Harley... but there IS one cruiser I'd really like to ride sometime... Kawasaki Vulcan 2000. A 2,000cc V-Twin just seems like it would have to be a rush (in a different way than a screaming I-4). So, I'm trying to talk my dad into getting one for his next bike. :lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Has anyone seen that Honda VTX Performance Cruiser they're thinking of making? I'd have to give it a good look... :banana

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
SpeedyQuaker said:
Has anyone seen that Honda VTX Performance Cruiser they're thinking of making? I'd have to give it a good look... :banana

THAT is flippin AWESOME.. I would def look at that..

·
Registered
347 Posts
njssli22 said:
THAT is flippin AWESOME.. I would def look at that..
They did this big article on it in Cycle World not too long ago...they asked people to write in supporting it, and they would forward the letters to Honda. The next issue, they said there were like 1000's of people who wrote in to support it. I hope they make it...

·
Flyin' Low
756 Posts
Anyway, sorry if I offended any Harley owners here, but what a pile of overpriced pieces of crap.

HARLEY :pisson[/QUOTE]

^What an ignorant statement, I feel sorry for you.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
cruiser said:
If you want a power cruiser, you should try a Triumph Rocket 3. this pic says it all
Yeah, the Rocket III is awesome. I'm not crazy about the look of the engine, but it's definitely the big daddy of the power cruisers right now. Still, it's the giant V-Twin that draws me. Not sure why. Currently, I think the Honda is on top in the looks dept.

Attachments

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
SpeedyQuaker said:
They did this big article on it in Cycle World not too long ago...they asked people to write in supporting it, and they would forward the letters to Honda. The next issue, they said there were like 1000's of people who wrote in to support it. I hope they make it...
Definitely a sweet looking ride. Futuristic cruiser look... kinda reminds me of the Suzuki B-King concept.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What kind of sportbike are your riding now, decius? I've ridden a 1200 sportster plenty of times and the only time I felt it was slow was getting on the throttle past 90mph. And that's coming off my zx9r. The Vrod would put that Sportster to shame so it's definately not that slow. Harley's aren't my type of bike either but I think you're exaggerating a little.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts