Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple friends and I went to one of the Harley dealers this morning. They were having some big summer sale with everything in the store 20% off (still overpriced), served lunch, and were having some demo rides. The only Harley I've ever rode before was a 1200 Sporster I rented one time while in Colorado. Well, they had four bikes there to try out, so I picked out the orange V-Rod and took it out for a good spin. No waver to sigh, no hassle. They just handed you the key and you took off by yourself with it.

Basically a brand new bike with only 30 miles on the clock. Took it down the highway a ways, got on it a few times and had a little fun with it. For a cruiser, it had some pretty good go behind it but nothing to really write home about. Hit the rev-limiter a couple times just because first gear was pretty short. Not really a bad bike, but nothing I would give up my Busa for. At least I can say I tried one though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Justin726 said:
A couple friends and I went to one of the Harley dealers this morning. They were having some big summer sale with everything in the store 20% off (still overpriced), served lunch, and were having some demo rides. The only Harley I've ever rode before was a 1200 Sporster I rented one time while in Colorado. Well, they had four bikes there to try out, so I picked out the orange V-Rod and took it out for a good spin. No waver to sigh, no hassle. They just handed you the key and you took off by yourself with it.

Basically a brand new bike with only 30 miles on the clock. Took it down the highway a ways, got on it a few times and had a little fun with it. For a cruiser, it had some pretty good go behind it but nothing to really write home about. Hit the rev-limiter a couple times just because first gear was pretty short. Not really a bad bike, but nothing I would give up my Busa for. At least I can say I tried one though.

It's always good to try new experiences. If I had the opportunity to ride a Harley, then I would definitely go for it. How was it comfort-wise and how did it compare to the comfort of your Hayabusa?

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Orange said:
It's always good to try new experiences. If I had the opportunity to ride a Harley, then I would definitely go for it. How was it comfort-wise and how did it compare to the comfort of your Hayabusa?
Well, I had a Honda VTX (a cruser) before I got my Busa. It was a damn sexy bike that could be really fun to ride. The only trouble I had with that bike is the seating position and the seat. After only about 40-50 miles of the wind hitting my chest and pushing my butt down into the seat, my tailbone would absoloutely start to KILL me. A 100 mile ride was pure torture for my ass. I could have put a windshield on it and that would have kept the wind from pushing me down onto the seat, but I just couldn't bring myself to put a screen on the bike. I just didn't like the looks of them with windshields on them.

The V-Rod seemed like it would have been about the same way. I only rode about 12-15 miles on it, but I could already get that little tingle in my tailbone that I was getting on my other cruiser. It was a very smooth running bike, but there is no way I would ever get it just because for some reason, me and cruisers don't get along too well. My Busa and me will do an easy 500 miles in one day without any problems. I've had two other sportbikes and got along with them real well too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Justin726 said:
Well, I had a Honda VTX (a cruser) before I got my Busa. It was a damn sexy bike that could be really fun to ride. The only trouble I had with that bike is the seating position and the seat. After only about 40-50 miles of the wind hitting my chest and pushing my butt down into the seat, my tailbone would absoloutely start to KILL me. A 100 mile ride was pure torture for my ass. I could have put a windshield on it and that would have kept the wind from pushing me down onto the seat, but I just couldn't bring myself to put a screen on the bike. I just didn't like the looks of them with windshields on them.

The V-Rod seemed like it would have been about the same way. I only rode about 12-15 miles on it, but I could already get that little tingle in my tailbone that I was getting on my other cruiser. It was a very smooth running bike, but there is no way I would ever get it just because for some reason, me and cruisers don't get along too well. My Busa and me will do an easy 500 miles in one day without any problems. I've had two other sportbikes and got along with them real well too.

I've always wanted to ride a Hayabusa. Not simply because it's the fastest motorcycle put into production in the world (although that wouldn't dissuade me), but also to feel the comfort and ergonomics of one. It seems the Hayabusa has it all. If you want to cover long distances and relax, if you want to rail thru some curvy roads or maybe do some track days, or I guess if you just like going 180mph.

:D

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
yeah, i'd take full advantage of that. i don't believe the Harley dealer here does that sort of thing tho, but they do with the buells.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
1200's are a blast, never rode a V-Rod, they look fun though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I did the same thing here in Ottawa last year. I also took the V-rod, I thought it was a great bike, very comfortable. I am pretty used to riding Harleys since my dad has two. I really like the riding position of them, and the V-rod I could easily ride all day long. The only thing I noticed was the fat boy wheels. It felt very weird, the cross wind was alway pushing the bike sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
My father has a 94' Softail Custom...all decked out in bling bling...its one heavy beast and i've only ridden it up the driveway a couple of times. He just recently dropped it making a U-Turn on a dark street...he was going and didnt have the clutch in and the bike stalled, my little brother was on the back and jumped off causing to put more weight than my father could handle...they went down and came up clean. Only damage done was a small scratch on the fender, hairline, a few scraps on the passenger peg and a small scrap on one of the mirrors. It could have been alot worse thank goodness it wasn't!

Chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
Never been on a harley, but rode my sisters shadow around for an hour the other day. It just felt plain wierd. She said the same thing when she rode my ex500. Well, the shadow was comfortable, but there was no get-up-and-go. I'll stick with my ninja, thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I test road a Vrod last year with my roommate. He was looking at "trading-up" from his 95' Vmax. I thought the bike was quite nice and especially liked the attention it got. However, it wasn't nearly as quick as my rommate's Vmax (3k miles, PERFECT shape) and the, get this, $1000 TRADE IN they offered him sent us on our way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts