Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I used my day off today to go take a test ride on the Can-Am Spyder. Strange little beast but it was kind of fun to ride. Think of it like a quad that has been civilized. I talked to Trevor at Alba Action Sports in Poway before the test ride and he explained a bit about the computer control features they have built into the bike (trike?). According to Trevor, it would be just about impossible to get the rear wheel to kick out on dry pavement. Hell powersliding was half the fun of a quad!

I went on about a 3 mile test ride. Didn't want to buy a broken one so I didn't go crazy with it. I did wind it up in 1st and it got to about 50 before the rev limiter kicked in. I took a couple of curves and one 90° corner pretty quickly and you could feel something going on that I assume was the computer suspension/traction stuff doing its' thing.

All in all it was a fun little trip. I don't think I could see buying one but who know, maybe when I'm 90 and can't manage a real motorcycle, I'll get me one with training wheels like this!

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've seen these suckers on the highways a couple times...
Basically, you gain all the risk of riding a motorcycle and lose all the 'freedoms' of riding a motorcycle in CA (you can't lane split those things!!)

Now, I agree you do gain safety in less-ability required to ride, so dealing with corners, obstacles, and rain ain't such a big deal anymore...

They're a step above those 3-wheel scooters i've been seeing that have the two front wheels really close together - i don't know what they're called though.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I think the Vespa 3 wheeled scooter would be more motorcycle like (Piaggio 3 Wheel MP3 Scooter - The Kneeslider) because it leans. The Spyder is like a car, roll but no lean. I imagine if you pushed it really hard it could tip/flip but that's what the computer controlled suspension is supposed to prevent.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How fast does it go?:)
Motortrend magazine (go figure) said it is governed to 110. I had it up to about 70 and frankly I wouldn't really feel very comfortable much over that. Maybe you'd get used to it but it feels a little twitchy to me.

·
Wildcat Fanatic
1,519 Posts
Man, that's one crazy looking ride! But kinda cool, too. It would be fun to have alongside a motorcycle, but not in place of one. Pretty neat that you got to try one out, though!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I see a lot of these around the westside and south bay parts of L.A. Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo sells them.

I also see them go by on the 405 by our office quite a bit - shockingly often. Everyone I know who rides and has ridden one has been "ehhh ... whatever" at best and "f- em, they're lame" at worst, for the reasons others have mentioned.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree, I wouldn't be interested in having one as my only bike but I wouldn't mind taking one for a spin on the dirt track. That looked like too much fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts