Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my Ninja 650, but I had an interest to eventually try a real race bike and finally got a chance to test ride a used R6 at the same dealer I bought my first bike.

I had my concerns of the pros and cons of a real sport bike would be, like will it be uncomfortable to ride in the aggressive stance all day or is it manageable for normal driving?

Well for comfort, it is a more aggressive stance. But I can ride a Trek road bike for 20 miles being on a tiny seat and hunched over and not feel like it's torture. The trade off for comfort seems very minimal compared to how much more control I have being in a more aggressive position, especially when it comes to split second decisions if I need to pass someone or get outta a bad situation. However I only took it less than 2 miles so I have no idea how it would be for like an 1-3 hour commute when that happens.

But then I did go faster than I expected and easily reached speeds of 75-80 mph without really trying. It got there pretty quickly and when I peeked at the speed, I was surprised going 75-80 mph can feel like a cruising speed.

This bike did feela lot more fun than the Ninja 650 and had a more playful feel compared to a sport touring bike. I thought I was not going to like the minimal fairing design which I liked on the Ninja 650, but after riding it, that design isn't really a concern to me anymore. I test a used one with an aftermarket exhaust (Yoshi-maru) and revving it sounds really bad ass, almost sounded like an exotic or F1 car, blew my mind.

So how is it to own a real sport bike rather than a commuter sport bike?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'm sitting on the phone with a client and I'm laughing my ass off.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I hate to ask a serious question in a JetFalcon thread, but the Ninja 650 isn't a real sportbike? It's not just JF that says that, others have said that. Seems wrong to me, but what do I know? I never test drove a BMW adventure bike and I don't help recording artists get paid at my job (temp/internship?).

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
I hate to ask a serious question in a JetFalcon thread, but the Ninja 650 isn't a real sportbike? It's not just JF that says that, others have said that. Seems wrong to me, but what do I know.
Its just not a Supersport.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
You answered all your own questions in your write up.

Supersports are faster, more powerful, less comfortable and have better suspensions than standard type motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I like my Ninja 650, but I had an interest to eventually try a real race bike and finally got a chance to test ride a used R6 at the same dealer I bought my first bike.

I had my concerns of the pros and cons of a real sport bike would be, like will it be uncomfortable to ride in the aggressive stance all day or is it manageable for normal driving?

Well for comfort, it is a more aggressive stance. But I can ride a Trek road bike for 20 miles being on a tiny seat and hunched over and not feel like it's torture. The trade off for comfort seems very minimal compared to how much more control I have being in a more aggressive position, especially when it comes to split second decisions if I need to pass someone or get outta a bad situation. However I only took it less than 2 miles so I have no idea how it would be for like an 1-3 hour commute when that happens.

But then I did go faster than I expected and easily reached speeds of 75-80 mph without really trying. It got there pretty quickly and when I peeked at the speed, I was surprised going 75-80 mph can feel like a cruising speed.

This bike did feela lot more fun than the Ninja 650 and had a more playful feel compared to a sport touring bike. I thought I was not going to like the minimal fairing design which I liked on the Ninja 650, but after riding it, that design isn't really a concern to me anymore. I test a used one with an aftermarket exhaust (Yoshi-maru) and revving it sounds really bad ass, almost sounded like an exotic or F1 car, blew my mind.

it is similar to having a ham sandwich.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts