Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else out there?

I'm terrified, mortified, petrified, and every other "fied" word out there. I can't even go to the damn air port to pick people up with out standing there, shaking like a leaf and knowing that one of those Coke can's with wings is either gonna drop outta the sky and fall on my head or fall with me in it. I'm not scared of heights, or small places, but for some reason I've always seen my death since I was kid dying in a plane crash.

Only reason I'm bringing this up is because in a few days, I'll be on my way to California to see the MotoGP races @ Laguna Seca. All expenses paid, room and board, rental and $2000 spending cash. The bf won it in a sales contest. I'd be stupid not to go! But the bf KNOWS how much I hate to fly. Seriously, if you want to see a rendition of Rainman, try to get me on a plane.. "Judge Whopner, JUDGE WHOPNER"!! AHHHHHHHHH!

I guess part of me wants to know WHY we have to take 6 different fights, there and back. The lay overs, I can understand, but the Charter to Monterey from San Fransisco, I don't get. Monterey is an hour or so south of San Fran. Why fly in when we can drive? Uggggggggggg!

I guess I just needed to vent. Anyone else out there that is scared to fly? And what do you do to get over it? I've done the drug thing, and I can tell ya, it doesn't work. I'm so scared that no matter how many sleeping pills, Vicodine etc etc I take, it only effects me the in the slightest. Once I get to my destination tho, I sleep like a log for 12-24 hours.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I'm only nervous when they first take off from the ground. That initial climb from the runway to flight level. Usually a few minutes of nervousness but that's all.

There's a ton of other folks out there that feel the same way as you do. There may be a medical solution to your issue that might help with the jitters you get when you enter airports. Might want to talk to your primary care giver and see what they say. Maybe they can sedate you so you're not going nuts out there.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hypnotherapy? I'd see a therapist if you're are concerned enough.

Me? I luv to fly!! Take offs are more fun than a roller coaster for me. I like to watch the scenery speed by ever faster and feel the G-forces build as the plane's acceleration pushes me harder into my seat back. Then, the plane smoothly rotates up and transitions from a 180 mph bus with wings into a flying machine! Woohoo. Everything on the ground shrinks in size when the plane gains altitude and from 25,000 feet even New Jersey looks kinda pretty.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I used to be that way. I just tell myself that if I'm going to fall out of the sky then I'm going to fall out of the sky. Nothing I can do about it. Takes a lot to bring a plane down. Not like a helo.
That being said, I'd rather fly military than civilian. On those planes you know there's nothing on there that shouldn't be and you have a chute. But flying is a lot safer now that it used to be. Don't worry about it.
If you're that bad try hypnotizm. I agree with pwang, It's a blast looking at things from above! I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck!

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Only at take off and landings

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I love to fly

Flying in a bush plane up here in bad weather is the shiznit...........bouincing all over the sky as the wind blows you around...........wind sheers blowing you left to right

Yep.....I love it.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Its not that bad. Takeoff/landing are really the only "exciting times" On takeoff there is a pretty good accelleration. It will push you back in the seat fairly well. And it keeps accellerating pretty good for a couple minutes. Your ears will want to pop a little as you increase altitude, thats normal. On landing they will start to drop air speed and lower the flaps, you can feel it pretty good, kind of like someone putting the brakes on in a car pretty good. The air plane will sometimes kind of feel like roller coaster as it varies altitude 30-40 feet at time, thats normal too, and nothing to get wound up about.. You should be able to hear the engine speed cut back as the pilot approaches. When the plane actually lands its usually fairly decent "bump" but again nothing to wild. Then the pilot should hit the brakes and reverse thrusters and speed the engines up again. It decellerates pretty fast and it will make you pull against the lap restraint some. A few seconds of that and your on the taxiway.

Oh and if you sit by the wing, its spose to flex up and down like that, entirely normal...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey hey hey easy on the "not easy to bring down like a helo" comment!!

Im currently learning to fly heli's commercially. I think it takes more to bring them down than people think. Also, say you have an engine failure, you can autorotate down and land relatively smooth. Not as big a deal as people probably think.

But anyways, as far as the airliners go, they are very safe. Statistically, your more likely to die on the way to the airport than in the airplane itself.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
come on JB, i know you better than that. you can do it! *said like guy from random adam sandler movies*

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am both excited and scared when I fly. When I am sitting there waiting to board, that's when I really get nervous. But when I'm strapped in and the plane takes off, I feel a little better. Man, I love the feeling of take-off.

There are lots of resources both online and offline for people with a fear of flying. I went to one website designed by a pilot that explained all the aspects of an airplane and the process of flying. It was very good, but I can't remember what site it was.

As far as statistics go, and if I remember correctly, I think that there hasn't been a major airliner crash in the US for over three or four years now.

·
Registered
262 Posts
pwang said:
Hypnotherapy? I'd see a therapist if you're are concerned enough.
There was and epsiode of the simpson about marge sacre to fly and when she got hypno... she found out it was cuz of her dad being a flight attendent instead of a pilot hehe..... might just be funny to me but oh well,
As for flying jap stay away from the drugs i think it just makes it worse maybe there is a deepr problem with you flying than just fear of droping from the sky sounds like you done it before maybe you should try hypno ethier way gl and im envious you get to see moto gp :phatyo

·
Registered
426 Posts
i could care less how you feel about flying....

Your going to first motogp to be held on american soil in 10 years.... I'm not going so...

I hate you:-D

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
No advice for ya on the fear of flying thing, hon, but when you get to the races, look me up - just look for the tall fellow milling around the Ducati umbrella girls...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm with you. I've been on one plane in my life, and it wasn't a happy day getting on it. I don't know what it is, I just don't like the idea of being in a hunk of metal, thousands of feet in the air and thinking everything is hunky dory.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Ahh, relax... Flying is safer than you think. Like my flight instructor told me when I got to my first lesson with him. "Ok, Matt the dangrous part today is over. You are no longer driving to the airport." And it really is true, that is what I would be more concerned about, and I am sure that you are pretty relaxed getting in your cage compaired to getting on your bike, (hell, you are prolly relaxed getting on that as well.)

Enjoy the race, it is going to be awesome.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Flying is statistically safer than driving a car. There is no comparison to the statistics for riding a bike. Relax and enjoy it, you will be fine.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't like flying but in these days I feel I have no options I fly a lot between europe and the west coast.. long flights. I specially hate the little unannounced events that take place during the flight.. like for instance

Sometimes the pilot will make a heavy turn RIGHT after take-off. It gets me every time. Wtf? Can't they wait a little so I can get over the take-off scare before making you see nothing but ground out the window??

After take-off, when the plane has some altitude, the engine will rev down (or cut power whatever), which is fully normal. But this always gives me the impression the engine just died, and I'm like WTF!? -before the brain explains what just happened.

At landing I get nervous after touching down and feel the G force decceleration to the sides, not straight ahead as expected. Feels the plane is going to flip over to the side

Landings with strong sidewinds, the engine reving up & down, plane banking left & right.. I'm totally :urowned and thinking "well I had a good life". Then at the last moment before landing it straightens up and touches down smoothly. Right there and then I'm the happiest human alive

Air pockets during the flight don't scare me much anymore unless it's the real bad mofo 0 G experiences but they are rare thank god.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I feel safer in a car than in a plane but don't really mind it that much. I fall asleep pretty much every time. I like the take offs and landings the best. I don't like flying over water that much though.

I had to go to Arkansas on business last month and we hit some heavy turbulence for a few seconds and it felt like the plane dropped like 20 feet and slammed back down on the air again. My co worker was white knuckling the chair looking side to side at 100mph and I was sitting there laughing my ass off. :lol

Have you ever tried getting real drunk. I don't give a fuck about anything if I'm drunk. We could be going down and I would be screaming at the top of my lungs "YOU CAN'T SCARE ME MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!" :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's like what I was saying about the drugs, even drinking it seems the min I step onto a plane, I'm sober again and then have to pee! So whats the point. Some mentioned hypnotism, unfortunately, it doesn't work with me. I've tried if on numerous occasions to stop either #1 Panic Attacks #2 Smoking and #3 Flying.... Damn, I need a weak mind. Someone loan me one :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
japbike said:
Anyone else out there?

I'm terrified, mortified, petrified, and every other "fied" word out there. I can't even go to the damn air port to pick people up with out standing there, shaking like a leaf and knowing that one of those Coke can's with wings is either gonna drop outta the sky and fall on my head or fall with me in it. I'm not scared of heights, or small places, but for some reason I've always seen my death since I was kid dying in a plane crash.

Only reason I'm bringing this up is because in a few days, I'll be on my way to California to see the MotoGP races @ Laguna Seca. All expenses paid, room and board, rental and $2000 spending cash. The bf won it in a sales contest. I'd be stupid not to go! But the bf KNOWS how much I hate to fly. Seriously, if you want to see a rendition of Rainman, try to get me on a plane.. "Judge Whopner, JUDGE WHOPNER"!! AHHHHHHHHH!

I guess part of me wants to know WHY we have to take 6 different fights, there and back. The lay overs, I can understand, but the Charter to Monterey from San Fransisco, I don't get. Monterey is an hour or so south of San Fran. Why fly in when we can drive? Uggggggggggg!

I guess I just needed to vent. Anyone else out there that is scared to fly? And what do you do to get over it? I've done the drug thing, and I can tell ya, it doesn't work. I'm so scared that no matter how many sleeping pills, Vicodine etc etc I take, it only effects me the in the slightest. Once I get to my destination tho, I sleep like a log for 12-24 hours.
ah get your bitch ass on the plane and when you get there give me a ring. I'll see if I can get you in with the FlatOut crew to the Repsol booth to get authographs with Nicky and also the smashmouth concert. Lots of other good perks too.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts