Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any direct or slightly direct formula in figuring out how much power you gain or loose due to changes in temperature? I've heard all kinds of crazy things like for every 10 degrees colder you gain a horsepower.... blah, blah, blah, etc. I know there are way more factors like absolute barometer, humidity, and other variables. The reason I'm asking though is so I can better utilize the weather data on my time slips when I go to the 1/4 mile. I wanna see how much that plays a part in my times. I would have posted in the drag racing forum but there's about five people who frequent that forum including me. Plus I thought it was an interesting topic.

If anyone knows about how other factors affect performance like barometer, humidity, and other things that would be nice to know about as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
basically, you want cool, dry air for optimum performance. at a certain point though, the cold air makes the pavement so cool that you might have more engine power but less heat to transfer power from your tires to the pavement.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I heard that with all carbuerated(sp?) vehicles that colder weather gives you more horsepower. DO NOT ask me why. I forget. But maybe somebody can complete that part for me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
cold, dry air holds more O2 which = more horsepower

BTW, doesn't matter if you are carbed or FI, you will still gain the power. Now settings like jetting and fuel maps will make a difference in how much of an advantage you can take.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks. I'm just wondering why my times weren't better last time I ran cause I finally started breaking under 2 seconds for my 60' time, but my times weren't much better. So many variables. Guess I'm trying to blame anything but myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts