Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was looking into getting more fit for when I start riding really hard at a track. Anyworkouts you do to keep yourself fit? Specific muscles and stuff? I have read that having big thighs help supports most of your body wieght by squeezing them on the tank. But other than that what are some main exercises you do and why? Right now Im doing basic crunches/situps/and back extensions for my lower back and torso. How about working your forearms for throttle control/brake control/clutch? Any input for that kinda stuff as well would be great.

Chris

·
Registered
352 Posts
I mainly concentrate on upper body:
Monday: Chest/Triceps/abs
Tuesday: Maybe some cardio if i'm in the mood
Wednsday: Back/Biceps/abs
Thursday: Chest/triceps/abs (plenty of recovery time from monday)
Friday: Shoulders/legs
Sat/Sun: Might just rest or Abs/Cardio Depending on how i feel.

*edited for spelling*
It's 2am and i'm tired... That's also something you should never do, make sure to get about 8 hours of sleep 'cuz it's when you grow the most.
Also diet is very important, read up on it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Umm since you're kinda young and still growing fast don't lift too heavy.
Lifting can encourage growth but if you injure yourself it can also stunt.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I don't plan on lifting very heavy, not to mention I am looking more for Endurance than bulk as the end result...thanks for the workout plan Anymore guys?

·
Registered
605 Posts
for the forearms get like a 1-1/2 to 2 ft pole, piece of rope thats a little shorter than your height and a 5 lb wieght. On one end of the rope tie the weight, on the other side of the rope tie it to the middle of the pole, broom stick, etc. Then grab with each hand on the sides of the rope and roll it up using your wrists.
Kinda hard to explain in text but I think I did a good job...get the picture Im trying to make?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I have an idea, you have to roll the poll to make the weight come up on the string therefore working your forearms right?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Monday: work
Tuesday: work
Wednesday: work
Thursday: work
Friday: work
Saturday: sometimes work, ride, spend time with family
Sunday: sometimes work, ride, spend time with family

Like my routine?

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah...looks easy. Its one of those that you make a crazy face to and work hard and anyone looking at you goes "whats wrong with that guy"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do a pretty fair amount of cycling, mountain and road. Probably 5-7 days/week. It's good for conditioning and muscle development, not just legs but arms and shoulders, too.
Food for thought

Koz

·
Registered
30 Posts
hope this helps

To the guy who does abs 4 times a week: You must be doing something wrong because you are either over-training or not doing enough weight. Lifting does NOT stunt growth, this is a popular misconception.

If you want to be strong, get in the gym. Body weight excercises are good to a point, but you will stop gaining strength very quickly and only gain endurance (you want strength, not endurance). If you want strong legs, do squats. Strong back do deadlifts. Strong upperbody do bench, weighted dips, weighted pullups. Do high weight, low reps(4-8) to build muscle.

There's more to it than that but that just to give you an idea. Of course, cycling/running will keep your overall endurance up and a combination of that and lifting is best.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good starting workout:
You decide weight.
Two work outs alternate between them..

Workout 1.
Chest
Bench 5 sets of 10
Incline Bench 5 sets of 10
Decline Bench 5 sets of 10
Back
Pull ups 5 sets of 10 or 10 sets of five if you cant.
Seated Rows 5 sets of 10
Abs 100 reps however makes you happy
Calf presses (you guessed it 5 set of 10)

Workout 2

Arms & Legs
3 tricepet exercises of your choice 3 sets of 10 each
3 Bicept exercises of your choice 3 sets of 10 each
3 shoulder exercises of your choice 3 sets of 10 each
Squats (be carful with squats big injury potential) 5 sets of 10
Calvs 5 sets of 10
Abs 100 reps however.

Do workout for six weeks minimum. Increase amount of weights slowly, you will see results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why do 100 reps of abs? You work abs like any other muscle. 3 sets of 10, start off with a 25lb plate or more on your chest to make this hard. 5 sets of anything is way too much, 3 is max. typically you only need to 1 or 2 exercises per muscle group. 3 is overtraining and will hurt you in the long run. I can post a good, full body program up here if you want.

and yea, Im addicted to lifting if you could not tell already haha.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I ride a stationary bike with adjustable resistance that also has cross training bars to work the arms. I ride on my toes since this is how I ride on the track. This is what I find to be the most beneficial to my endurance on the track.

Upper body stuff isn't too complicated. I just do dips/weighted chain, free weights for shoulders, triceps/bi's.

Abs.. Three set workout. vary the method, 3 days a week.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well Guys and Gals i have been doing some homework and here's what i found so far that will benefit me in aggresive motorcycle riding....
Calf Raises
Squats
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Situps/Crunches
Bench Press
Seated Cable Rowing
LAt pull Downs
Military Press
Curls/tricep and Bicep
Wrist Curls....

I don't have access to a gym so can i do most of this stuff with free weights I have home...Is there anything there that you guys see is a bit of an overkill? And most of all what are some of your techniques for building forearm strength for Clutch/Brake/Throttle, more for endurance so you don't get the so called "Arm Pump" (Something Besides zx7rs Idea for forearm workout)

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Forearm strength is normally built up through doing various other exercises that do not focus specifically on forearms (such as deadlifts). Hammer curls and Farmers Walk will greatly strengthen your forearm muscles though. Hammer curls are curls with the dumbbell parallel to your body. Farmer's Walk is where you find weights that you can barely hold on to, hold them at your side, while you walk around. Do this until you have to drop them and repeat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Benny, I disagree on you coment that abs are like any other muscle. No I'm not a trainer, but in my opinion 30 reps on your abs is not enough even for someone starting out.
As for the 3 set being enough... I think this is the rule alot of the people at my gym use, but they never seem to get anywhere.....
I'm also an addict.... to weights duhhh :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Legs are definitely important in riding cause they enable you to move your body side to side. On the track you'll need them to support a lot of weight and work while adjusting your body. In my opinion squats are absolutely critical in any workout, but especially if you need lower body strength and endurance. I'd do at least 4 sets with light to moderate weight doing any where from 8 to 15 reps. That would be good to build some stamina and strength with the ephasis on stamina.

I'd also do a bit of cardio just to have a little more endurance at the track. It will call for a lot of energy.

The most important thing is to eat right. Eating healthy foods will give you the energy you need when riding. Drink plenty of water before you go and during the track day because your body will need it more than the bike needs fuel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Also remember (This is VERY important) there is no one routine that does it for everyone. You'll have to experiment and find out what works best for you and what doesn't work. My routine is specific to my body and it takes time to find out what will work for yours. Don't just listen to one person and copy their routine. Try a piece of peoples advice (if they are actually fit) and incorporate it for a bit. If it works keep it. Some people will swear by their routine and see everything else as wrong. You have to find what works for you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Gotta agree with sungwei! Just try alot of stuff out....see what the biggest or most fit mofo at the gym you go to does.... steal a few ideas...see if it works

·
Registered
30 Posts
pelican: abs ARE like any other muscle (you are going to have a hard time explaining how they're not) and if you want stronger abs, that's the way you do it. I do abs once a week and they still grow that way. Maybe you should even try what I recommended. I think you would be surprised. The 3 sets thing does somewhat vary, but we've got bodybuilders here doing only 2 so I think it may be many more factors then just the sets that are affecting the peeps in your gym.

Sungwei is right in that its different strokes for different folks. Rest is just as important as lifting. If you rest enough so that you can go 100% and can't feel the strain from the last workout, then you are good to go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts