Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at slip-ons for like four months now and my main concern was that I would not have to but a whole shit lode of extra crap. I really liked the Micron High Mount Tit. So called a couple friends that own or work in bike shops and asked them if I needed anything else besides the exhaust and everyone told me Nope don’t need to do anything for a slip-on. So I call Micron and they say the same thing "Nope no extra's needed". So I order the exhaust and it comes in and I put on. I start the bike up and it runs ok. Then it starts to idle real badly and it start popping when I let off throttle. So I call my dealership and they tell me that I need to but a Power Commander and have the bike remapped. I was like WTF, so I called my buddy and he told me that I need the PC3 also. WTF once again. So I call Micron and they tell me that they don't have the problem that I explain to them and that it might be my bike and not their exhaust. So I ask them if they have a map for my bike and the exhaust that I bought. The Tec said "Ya we got one that will make your bike run right" So I ask him if their is not a problem with the bike exhaust combo why would Micron have a map for it? Well the Tec started to back peddle but he could not come up with a good explanation. So to make a long story I have to but the power commander and listen to the wife bitch about it! :mad:

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, unhook your battery. and reconnect after a min or so. you need to reset the ECU, and it has to relearn how to map the engine to the new flow charactersitics of the exhaust. if after a tank of gas or so, if it still runs bad, you'll need a pcIII, downloads some maps, if it's still fuked up, then custom map.

·
Registered
912 Posts
yep that is what happens with some FI bikes

·
Registered
533 Posts
it really depends on how the bike runs after the install, some will run fine but some need some more adjustments

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
yeh disconnect your battery for a min, then reconnect it. see if that helps. i put a devil 3/4 system on, my bike runs a little rich but it idles and runs just fine without a power commander.

·
Banned
72 Posts
RACER X said:
well, unhook your battery. and reconnect after a min or so. you need to reset the ECU, and it has to relearn how to map the engine to the new flow charactersitics of the exhaust. if after a tank of gas or so, if it still runs bad, you'll need a pcIII, downloads some maps, if it's still fuked up, then custom map.
WTF? can anyone confirm the ECU relearn? i was told by the bike mechanic wizard that bike ECU do not have the relearn capability like a car.

·
Banned
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Disconnected the battery and it didn't don much of anything. These new bike will just revert back to the factory map. The factory map is what is messed up with the new pipe.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
how many miles have you ridden since the disconnect?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just get the power commander. they are awesome..

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
woohoo....$300-400 for a can, $300 for a PCIII, $200 to custom map.........woohoo~3-4 hp.......:lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yea but can can hook your bike to your computer and remap your bike whenever you want. Hp is expensive on bikes. And you can download custom maps from the powercommander site for free oldtimer.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Motorcycle ECU's don't learn like most automobile ECU's. They have one map that does not adjust itself if you increase your airflow through the engine.

Sorry dude, you need a PowerCommander with a custom map.

·
Banned
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RACER X said:
woohoo....$300-400 for a can, $300 for a PCIII, $200 to custom map.........woohoo~3-4 hp.......:lol
You can pay the 200 for the map and I'll do the :lol You can download the maps!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
robbieace said:
Yea but can can hook your bike to your computer and remap your bike whenever you want. Hp is expensive on bikes. And you can download custom maps from the powercommander site for free oldtimer.
:lol, had a PC 2-3 yrs ago, about as long as you've been riding. wasn't worth the hp to $ ratio in my book. and to me a custom map is of the specific bike in question, cuz maps in CA vary from maps in TX. too many variables.

chesus said:
with a pipe pc3 and custom map i bet he could get 7-8hp
thats giving it alot.....this is a 600 not a 750 or liter bike.....IMO ~4-5 @ 10,000rpm, remeber the slip-on camparo, 2 hp variance w/ all of them.

the map is set, but it also has some perameters that it's it can vary from. most of the time it's enough for a slip on

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
marsolais said:
You can pay the 200 for the map and I'll do the :lol You can download the maps!
these are not custom maps your DLing, they might work, they might not.

they are for a bike, at X altitude, X% humidty,X temperature.....

a true custom map is your bike, in your area, and temp changes can make it vary alot......

so for the time being you can forgo the last $200 for the "custom" map, but if it doesn't work......cha ching.......

you'll still be in it for $5-600.........can & PC

·
Registered
569 Posts
RACER X said:
:lol, had a PC 2-3 yrs ago, about as long as you've been riding. wasn't worth the hp to $ ratio in my book. and to me a custom map is of the specific bike in question, cuz maps in CA vary from maps in TX. too many variables.

thats giving it alot.....this is a 600 not a 750 or liter bike.....IMO ~4-5 @ 10,000rpm, remeber the slip-on camparo, 2 hp variance w/ all of them.

the map is set, but it also has some perameters that it's it can vary from. most of the time it's enough for a slip on
PowerCommander's can be pretty useful otherwise. On my RC51 it fixed some nasty spots in the stock ECU. A PowerCommander really is nothing more than an electronic version of a jet kit... except it's a lot easier to adjust on the fly.

Yeah, 7-8 hp is a bit much... and I haven't read the slip-on article, but did they create custom maps for each pipe for each bike? Just throwing a pipe on a bike and not tuning it isn't going to give you much of anything, but if you tune it for increased airflow it should give you a noticeable power gain.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts