Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't find an answer, so here goes:

Can you use a carb sync to sync the throttle bodies on the little fizzer?

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
yes. exactly the same concept. same method. same, same, same. Motion pro economy carb tuner, ~35 bucks @ flatoutmotorcycles.com

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh. I just read another post about some BAD things with flatout. Doubt I'll be ordering from them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Homemade manometer-- Some 1/8 id vinyl tubing, couple of connectors and some auto tranny fluid. And something to mount the tubing onto.

Costs just a few bucks and the connections balance the vacuum against each other, not against atmosphere like the mercury guages -- more accurate.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kenfz6 said:
Homemade manometer-- Some 1/8 id vinyl tubing, couple of connectors and some auto tranny fluid. And something to mount the tubing onto.

Costs just a few bucks and the connections balance the vacuum against each other, not against atmosphere like the mercury guages -- more accurate.
This intrigues the Macguyver side of me. Do you have any pictures of it?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I second that! :needpics

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm intrigued too (not that I need another tool). How do you set the reference for the #1 TB if you're not measuring something against atmosphere?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just check that #1 falls within spec with a regular vacuum gage. Then I synch 1 to 2, 1 to 3, and 1 to 4.

I have to borrow a camera from work to get pics, but a google search for homemade manometer gives plenty of descriptions and pics. I like the ATF in case I suck it into the engine, and I don't have to worry much about spills.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is all it is, one pic is the manometer, the other is with it hooked to the test ports on the fizzer. I even spent the extra bucks on aluminum flat stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kenfz6 said:
This is all it is, one pic is the manometer, the other is with it hooked to the test ports on the fizzer. I even spent the extra bucks on aluminum flat stock.
Is that basically just a big loop of tubing with ATF in it?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What exactly does sync'ing the TB's do?

Are the TB's "sync'ed" when the bike is put together at the stealership?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Synching the throttle bodies helps ensure that each of the bodies is sucking the same amount of fuel/air. This means that the "explosions" in each cylinder are of the same magnitude. This helps to minimize vibration and wear on the engine parts. If one or more of the cylinders is getting more fill, they will be producing more power in those cylinders than the others, throwing the balance of power off.

It should have been synchronized initially, but a periodic synch is part of the maintenance.. break in, items getting worn, tolerances increasing.

Like most dealer service work, there is an acceptable range that the synch, or anything else, is allowed to be off, I believe mine is more precise. I try to do my own work, even if it means I may break it before I figure out how to fix it.

All this is is just a simple tube with transmission fluid in it. The color also makes it easier to see. The throttle body with the higher vacuum will draw the fluid towards it-one side of the manometer goes up, the other down. It is just a matter of tweaking the air bleed screws to get the levels as close together as possible. The manual has you synch them to the #1 throttle body.

The down side to this setup is that you need to shut off the bike when moving the tube to another throttle body or you will suck the transmission fluid into the engine. The "real" carb synchronizers will let you see all of the throttle body vacuums at the same time (I think). But once the bike is warmed and the tank is propped up, the whole procedure only takes a few minutes after you do it a couple of times. Just read in the manual p3-17.

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
Kenfz6 said:
The down side to this setup is that you need to shut off the bike when moving the tube to another throttle body or you will suck the transmission fluid into the engine. The "real" carb synchronizers will let you see all of the throttle body vacuums at the same time (I think). But once the bike is warmed and the tank is propped up, the whole procedure only takes a few minutes after you do it a couple of times. Just read in the manual p3-17.
Sounds like you have a pretty workable solution. And yes one advantage of the Motion Pro tuner is that you can do all four a once. I found it pretty valuable to monitor fluctuations in all four at once at slightly different idle rpm's. This allows you to verify that they are all indeed the same pressure simultaneously.

Also, I believe you are supposed to slightly "blip" (dont rev it or you will suck mercury into the engine) the throttle after EACH adjustment to seat the set screw for an accurate reading.

·
Registered
245 Posts
GUYS AND GILS ONE MORE TIME YOU ARE FREAKSSSSS OF FZ6, YOU ARE THE BEST.
I have no freaking clue of this, no that I care, but you guys are as freaky as I can be with computers. Damm you scare the crap out of me with all your mod's.
I showed this forum to a friend of mine that does not have a fz6 and he said the same, you guys are freaks, but the good kind do not get me wrong, keep the good work, it just amazes me how pasionate we can be about something. You guys and gils are the best.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fz6yamaha said:
GUYS AND GILS ONE MORE TIME YOU ARE FREAKSSSSS OF FZ6, YOU ARE THE BEST.
I have no freaking clue of this, no that I care, but you guys are as freaky as I can be with computers. Damm you scare the crap out of me with all your mod's.
I showed this forum to a friend of mine that does not have a fz6 and he said the same, you guys are freaks, but the good kind do not get me wrong, keep the good work, it just amazes me how pasionate we can be about something. You guys and gils are the best.
Why pay $50+ for something that you can make for about $10?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
What would happen if you used a four way connector at the bottom to have four feeds? Would it stand up?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
karst said:
What would happen if you used a four way connector at the bottom to have four feeds? Would it stand up?
I was thinking something similar, but with T's.

It may effect the flow to have the added length.
I'll check with some guys at work (damn physicists love shit like this).

But I made a crewd "drawing/schematic" with my idea.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts