Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just took my CWP last night and stopped by the local shop today. I have read good things about taurus but wanted to get some more opinions.

This will be my first pistol, i feel its size, price, and extra features are appealing. I plan to shoot 50-200 rounds a month to keep fresh.....

I looked at the glocks but they were either too big or too expensive.

the taurus was going for 339.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
I have a PT-145 and my dad has a 24/7 9mm, both in stainless. I love the pistols to death, you really can't go wrong. I just put another 200 through mine today and didn't have a single failure. It ate it up. I'm doing a lot better shooting at 25 yards too, I worked on my stance and now I can bullseye a small target 50% of the time. My dad's 24/7 9mm is a tack driver, he gets nice small groups at good distance. The 17 round mag is nice too, the grip is perfect, the slide is easy to actuate in 9mm, the stock sights are not my favorite, but they do work.

I've had about 1500-2000 rounds through mine, it functioned flawlessly besides one box of obviously bad ammo. That single box of 50 had about 20 weak primer strikes, but every other brand has been perfect.

Oh, and .45 is about $15 for a box of 50 at wal mart..

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wont shoot walmart ammo after last night, the cwp lady was telling us how they use second grade ammo that they label for themselves.

but as far as the 24/7, all i can find is good reviews. can you ask your dad how much he paid? The one i was looking at had a smaller clip i think, 12+1 if im not mistaken. Has he ever had a jam with it?

and post a picture of it! :D

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
you get what you pay for, particularly with ammo
i wont shoot walmart ammo after last night, the cwp lady was telling us how they use second grade ammo that they label for themselves.

but as far as the 24/7, all i can find is good reviews. can you ask your dad how much he paid? The one i was looking at had a smaller clip i think, 12+1 if im not mistaken. Has he ever had a jam with it?

and post a picture of it! :D
I have heard that same story about the ammo at Wal-mart being sub standard shit, and everytime it was from a person/store who sold the exact same ammo for 25% more.

I have bought over 1000 rds of Remington UMC 9mm (big yellow box) in the 250 rounds box, never had a single problem.

I now have found a gun shop that sells some cheap 9mm ammo ($8 for 50 rds), and I bought a case of it. Shot all 1000 rounds, not a single problem. Going to buy another case Monday.

For target shooting, there is nothing wrong with cheap. Especially if the ammo is sold in the US. For personal protection, opt for premium rds.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard that same story about the ammo at Wal-mart being sub standard shit, and everytime it was from a person/store who sold the exact same ammo for 25% more.

I have bought over 1000 rds of Remington UMC 9mm (big yellow box) in the 250 rounds box, never had a single problem.

I now have found a gun shop that sells some cheap 9mm ammo ($8 for 50 rds), and I bought a case of it. Shot all 1000 rounds, not a single problem. Going to buy another case Monday.

For target shooting, there is nothing wrong with cheap. Especially if the ammo is sold in the US. For personal protection, opt for premium rds.
hmm my mindset is for the piece of mind id rather buy a shops cheap of the cheap as opposed to walmarts. Nice to help out a mom and pop anyways.

for personal protection i was considering magsafe but i have also now been thinking about possible legal issues if i ever used it in an altercation.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
hmm my mindset is for the piece of mind id rather buy a shops cheap of the cheap as opposed to walmarts. Nice to help out a mom and pop anyways.

for personal protection i was considering magsafe but i have also now been thinking about possible legal issues if i ever used it in an altercation.
You'll most likely have legal issues whenever you shoot to stop, even if you were perfectly justified by self-defense. The civil legal system sucks.

My instructor for CCW, who shall remain nameless, told us to have several different brands of ammo in our weapon when carrying. That way if you had legal troubles, you would have lawyers from all of the different ammo manufacturers which were used in the shooting. I have no idea if it is true, but something to consider.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
That sounds like silly advice, and not something i would want to do considering most guns appreciate a specific brand. Just make sure you kill the person youre shooting

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Walmart Winchester ammo is bad ammo? Tell that to the 1000+ rounds of it that I've popped off flawlessly in my .45.

The only box of ammo that I had problems with was recommended and sold to me at a gun shop. If I had tried to protect myself with them, I'd have ended up having to pistol whip the guy down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts