Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at the popular science web page (while hard at work mind you), and came across this little experiment they did. Using a (or a few) 9V batteries and the phosphoric acid found in cola's, you can permanently etch the surface of titanium. Not sure I would do this if I had a titanium exhaust, but if you had some practice I bet you could get some cool stuff on there. (ie. flames, tribal stuff, etc...). Someone post pictures if they actually try and do this! Enjoy!

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,1076497,00.html

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
that looks really neat. i have a Ti exhaust, but I'm scared to try. maybe on the backside where you can't see would be a good place to start.

that web link doesn't do a very good job of explaining how to make and apply a template.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mucho Gonzales said:
that web link doesn't do a very good job of explaining how to make and apply a template.
Masking tape, shelf paper/contact paper, etc. Draw your pattern, cut it out, then apply the stencil to the can and brush on the acid.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
but they mention using tin foil for something. and i think that one picture where he's puting some kind of flower design doesn't have a cut out pattern...could be wrong tho.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
The tin foil is just a conductor that spreads the curent over the acid and allows it to etch.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Basically what you do is make your design out of masking tape, apply it to the metal surface, paint on the soda being careful not to go outside your masked lines, tape the tin foil over it tightly, and apply a current to the whole setup. Positive on either the tin foil or the can, negative on the other one.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
I already branded my girls can, so this is not nessesary.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
balahahaha... then you got what got....

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts