Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some one please help me out? i have been reading alot around here and i just started riding sportbikes about 2 months ago(2700 miles) and i see some people mentioning this target fixation. can some one explane to me wut it is exactly

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Basically, you go where you're looking. If you see a hazard (target) along the side (or even on) of the road and stare at it (fixate) hoping you won't hit it, you will. Look where you want to go. Look around a hazard to avoid it.

For example, if you see some gravel along the side of the road, look where you want the bike to go not at the gravel. If you watch the gravel hard enough, you'll go wide right into it.

It's how skiers/boarders can hit the only tree on a slope.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Basically, if you are pushing harder than what you are prepared to handle, you might be in for a crash. If you realize this and look at what you might crash into, you are definitely gonna crash into it. Basically, the motorcycle will go to what you are looking at, and there is nothing you can do about it because you're freaked out. This is called target fixation, it has happened to me once. The trick is to keep your head and eyes looking around the corner and just keep leaning and cornering to avoid target fixation.

·
Registered
910 Posts
A couple of books for you to read, start with "More Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. After you have read and begun implementing the content of this street survival riding book, post back up with your impressions/experience for additional input and further recommendations.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Another couple of good books that I read:

- Motorcycles for Dummies (covers all aspects of biking, but a bit dated)
- Street Strategies

·
Registered
269 Posts
My MSF instructor told us that the phenomenon was observed during WWII. Bomber pilots would occassionally fly into the ground for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I doubt bombers would fall prey to that easily enough for there to be more than 2 or 3 instances of it ever, if that. Bombers (back then) fly at like 20,000 - 40,000 feet and carpet bomb cities.

Fighters though, I could totally see that happening in a dogfight.

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
check this pic out, it should help. Gibernau is looking around the corner at where he wants to go, not at whats in front of him.

Attachments

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
poulsen said:
check this pic out, it should help. Gibernau is looking around the corner at where he wants to go, not at whats in front of him.

+1.... good example.. usually happens when you overshoot a turn and focused on the rails instead of the street

·
Registered
456 Posts
Eyespy said:
A couple of books for you to read, start with "More Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. After you have read and begun implementing the content of this street survival riding book, post back up with your impressions/experience for additional input and further recommendations.

Most excellent idea!! READ READ READ. Then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

I am not responsible for any accidents that occur during "practice sessions", use your head and good judgement. Find a location where you can control the environment as much as possible.

·
...What speed limit sign?
244 Posts
I tend to "target fixate" when i'm crusing around clearwater or daytona. =o)

Oh wait, that's a different kind of target fixation. ::big grin::

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
+1... yeah, like when im at hooters .. my chick says i get a bad case of object fixation

1 - 14 of 14 Posts