Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· retired from here
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you katoom riders like your rides. I have been looking very hard at getting something. I started out looking at the Suzuki DRZ400sm but with me being a big person and the Zuki only pushing 35 or so hp I think that it is out. I like the Husky 610 as well as the KTM 625 but the closest Husky dealer that has a 610 is in Omaha, Neb. and none of the KTM dealers within 200 miles know how to respond to an e-mail. So I guess I want to know what you think of them before I drive 10 hours or so to get to look at them. Have you had any major problems with them. I have heard that a couple Huskies have blown their head gaskets and that there have been several KTMs blow out their base gaskets. These kind of problems are not a issue as I can do all the work and modding on eather one with no problem.

· retired from here
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got off the phone with a dealer that told me that the 06 525's and 625's will not be available till May. That does not sound right to me but what do I know.

· Registered
29 Posts
The Aprilia is awesome but that 550 will be WAY into five-figures. I have owned 2 KTM 625SMC's with no trouble and I love the bike! I have only heard of base gaskets blowing on 05's and like you said, it's a fairly easy fix. It is not too hard to find used 04's and 05's with less-than 2000 miles on them for $6,500 or less even though a new 06 will retail for $8,600. I got the 04 I ride now for $5,000. If you can scrape the money together, spend the extra $1000 on a used 05 KTM625SMC instead of a new Suzuki. You will thank me every time you ride it. I GUARANTEE it!

· retired from here
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bmxr said:
The Aprilia is awesome but that 550 will be WAY into five-figures. I have owned 2 KTM 625SMC's with no trouble and I love the bike! I have only heard of base gaskets blowing on 05's and like you said, it's a fairly easy fix. It is not too hard to find used 04's and 05's with less-than 2000 miles on them for $6,500 or less even though a new 06 will retail for $8,600. I got the 04 I ride now for $5,000. If you can scrape the money together, spend the extra $1000 on a used 05 KTM625SMC instead of a new Suzuki. You will thank me every time you ride it. I GUARANTEE it!
The Suzuki is not an option as it is way underpowered. The Husky is just more in my price range but I am going to the cycle world show this weekend in Fort Worth and Husky, KTM, and even Aprilia is going to be there. Who knows what I will get as I have not sat on any of the bikes yet. I am going to need a b***** bike as I am 6'6" and 300# but not aas large as the 950's.

· retired from here
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bpmull said:
I love motards. I wanted to get a new bike this winter but now that Aprilia is building a 550cc twin, I'm probably gonna wait until I can check that out. There's a lot of good info at:

http://supermotojunkie.com/
I hope to see and sit on one this weekend.

· Registered
998 Posts
I would go with the katoom 625. It's just slighty heavier than my 525 but way more streetable engine. I'd give Husky and Aprilia a year or so to work out any bugs. (man do I want that Aprilia) Buy used if you can to save some cash. You might hate it but I doubt it. However I've never been on a either the Husk 610 or the DRZsm.

I just got back from a nice ride on some back/gravel roads on mine. Only jumped one railroad X but it was a nice one, lots of air!

Attachments

· Registered
503 Posts
I've got a 2005 KTM 625. I am 6'3" and about 260 lbs(damn weightlifting!)

Anyways, I love the bike. The power is awesome, torque EVERYWHERE, enough to get my ass up and going in a hurry. It also has plenty of room for me, but after owning it for a little while, I've decided its just not the bike for the type of riding I do. I'm actually selling it to get something that I can take on long freeway rides(~4 hours or so).

If you're interested, I've got it posted in the For Sale forums of this site, along with pictures. Only 796 miles on it!

Arron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.