Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so what's the best way to remove the warning sticker on the gas tank from a new bike. If I try and peal it off it just rips and all the gummy stuff is left. Any tricks to get it off without messing up the paint finish....?

·
Registered
5 Posts
That may be difficult. On some bikes, the tank "clear coat" over it. If not, then try a heat gun. Afterwards, remove adhesive with a solvent ie: BESTINE.
PEACE :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
i picked at mine and got most of it off with just a finger nail and hair dryer... all that sticky stuff left behind i got off with wd40.

not a trace it was ever there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wasp Rider said:
Ok, so what's the best way to remove the warning sticker on the gas tank from a new bike. If I try and peal it off it just rips and all the gummy stuff is left. Any tricks to get it off without messing up the paint finish....?
Pick it off with your fingernail, keep the heat away from it. Once the sticker is off, use some WD-40 or similar, turning the cloth frequently, the adhesive will come right off.

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
i used my finger nail and some goo gone to get my sticker off...then i washed and waxed it cant even tell it was there

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wasp Rider said:
WD40 won't hurt the paint or clear coat????
Nope, nor your plastic winshield either when you remove that sticker too. Now Brake Cleaner (thats my favorite) used on plastic will craze it, however it removes sticky residue like a champ from painted surfaces. I usually dont bring it up on the board because if used on the wrong finish (like plastic for example) it can do damage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, looks like the finger nail and WD40 (or similar) is the way to go

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
I had written this up on the old board in the "How To" section.

**How To Remove Decals & Stickers.

Ok, for a decal or sticker, first make sure it does not have clear coat over it. If it does, then you can't remove it unless you wish to repaint. If you can get a fingernail under it, then it has not been covered over with clear coat.

With a decal or sticker, first peel up the protective clear plastic over it, then apply a wet rag and usually they will come right up with your fingernail.

If however, they are still tough, the application of heat from a blow dryer should do it. You can also apply a little WD40 or Goo Gone... (You will use those anyway at the end to remove any excess glue)

Emblems...

You have to heat the emblem up to loosen the adhesive, then take some dental floss, and work your way under it, while maintaing heat, and if you like also apply a squirt or two of WD40 under it as you go. Slowly the emblem should come up, and then once again like decals, remove excess adhesive with WD40 or Goo Gone.**

·
Registered
504 Posts
Fingernail and Goo Gone was how I did it. Not even a sign of it anymore!

-Q

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used 91% Alcohol (medical use) to desolve that glue and a flannel rag to wipe it away.
Hated that warning sticker almost as much as the airbag warning stickers on my visors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I peeled what i could with my finger and my debit card and then used mineral spirits to remove the glue. this will work on removing the whole sticker as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
let the bike sit out in the sun for a bit or use a hair dryer to heat up the area around it. Peel that sucker off. Use a little goo be gone to get rid of the excess stickyness.

Another thing that also works good is oil from your skin. Sounds gross but it works and of course only if you're having a oily skin moment. I picked up this trick from a friend:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
j080808 said:
Pick it off with your fingernail, keep the heat away from it. Once the sticker is off, use some WD-40 or similar, turning the cloth frequently, the adhesive will come right off.
Using a hairdryer is no problem and the sticker will come off easy. Of course: don't overheat .... :)

[email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I asked my dealer about this when I picked the bike up (having spent ages doing it on previous bikes) and here is his insider knowledge - Lighter fluid.

Works a treat and doesn't damage anything. Just don't smoke while you do it :blowingup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts