Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a tank pad on to protect their tank from being scratched? I purchased the tankslapper but it is starting to peel back and not stick anymore.
I was trying to figure out if chrome or carbon fiber on the really fast blue colored bike.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I wear riding gear that doesn't have any exposed zippers or anything of the sort so I've got no need for a tank pad. I think they're kind of tacky/ugly looking in any case.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I wore dull spots into the paint within 500 miles: too much road grit blowing around in the winter. I use the MagKnight, and the color's a pretty good match.

A friend has great clear coat sticker type thing on his 'Strom, and it even protected the paint when he dropped in the dirt. It's totally invisible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, that is strange, I wear a joe rocket jacket and for some reason I noticed I was getting small scratches so I put the tankslapper but it stops sticking after awhile.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I installed a combination set from BMW; it is a front pad and two side pads. The side pads were my primary interest as they allow me to grip the tank through the colder winter months without freezing my thighs. The BMW pads are very thick, about 3/16"; which gives insulation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just put on my Harris tank protector, the only color for the fz6 is silver and it looks great even on my Blue bike. Sorry no pics!!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
huffti said:
hmm, that is strange, I wear a joe rocket jacket and for some reason I noticed I was getting small scratches so I put the tankslapper but it stops sticking after awhile.
Try pulling it off all the way cleaning it good and re-installing it ?? I have not had any problem with mine sine I put in on almost a year now. Then again its rather cheap protection to just get another set :lol I also do prefer the clear look since I hate to cover up the tank.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
moochie said:
I just put on my Harris tank protector, the only color for the fz6 is silver and it looks great even on my Blue bike. Sorry no pics!!!!

+1...

Got a Harri's on mine

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
For now, I've got static cling window tint at the bottom rear of the tank, and under the tail bag (zipper scratched up my old bike's tail :( gotta fix it before I sell it.) I just ordered the Fieldsheer Rio collection tail and saddlebag because Brockton had them on sale. I'm thinking about a Joe Rocket Manta - tank pad intregrated. Anybody have one - reviews, comments?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I'll put one on if and when I scratch it but not before. Won't that pad discolor the paint? I guess it won't matter 'cuz when it's put on, it won't be removed.

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
My bike is covered with custom-cut 3M Clear Urethane. They use this stuff on very expensive automobiles. It works great, and you really have to look to see it, which I like, since I like the look of the bike to be clean.

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
got the manta bag and is great for everyday use. i hated wearing a backpack for just a few things to ride with. also had a feildsheer rio tail bag from brockton cycle, cause it was on sale and cheap. the first time i put it on one of the clips for the bungee broke and emailed fieldsheer and brocton but no reply. somewhat fixed it and then a few weeks later another bungee clip broke and said the hell with it and bought the manta. i plan on buying the rocket velocity tail bag soon. guess in this case you get what you pay for.

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
manta pics

nice small bag if you're wondering the size it'll fit 2 24oz cans and a few packs of smokes in the main compartment.
[/IMG]

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've got the Yamaha CF protector and I'm very happy with it. It's real CF not just the CF look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Be super careful with magnetic tank bags! I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, and it might be obvious, but 9/10 of the marks on my tank are from my gd tank bag. Winter gravel has some magnetic bits. They get stuck on the bag, and then you score your tank every time you don't peel the magnets up instead of just grabbing the handle and pulling. Also the magnets will mess up your pod and probably your phone, so be careful.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Forget where I got it, but it does the job. Tank looked kind of "empty" without it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I bought a cheap tank bra from Dennis Kirk and used it for a template and sewed my own bra from heavier vinyl and lined it with thick flannel...my bike is black, so it matches and I made it quick release so It comes right off for cleaning the bike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts