Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
me a "racer",i think not!
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, got a quick Q?
while i was getting gas i noticed my tank has a good amount of play in it, from side to side, :banana is this normal, just had my TPS replaced and not sure if they had to remove tank or not, thanks, robert

·
Registered
828 Posts
Um, no. Your tank bolts are loose (the ones right below the handlebar mount). They will vibrate loose and disappear on one of your rides. Or if you're lucky, they will fall into the battery box and you will have to fish them out with a part picker tool.

Check those bolts and tighten if needed!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
There's a wrench that fits those bolts in your tool kit. Check and make sure they're tight.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Wow, I thought that was just me. I've had it happen three times, so I keep spare bolts in my first aid kit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Check the bolt at the tanks pivot point! The dealer might of taken the tank off to make work easier.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
segue00 said:
Use threadlock on the bolts! Medium strength/blue color.

^^^^
YES good info. everything that you ever take apart on the bike should be locktited back on and retorqued to specs if possible. Threadlocker will save your butt rather than lose some screws. I always keep a bottle of the blue and the red in my toolbox in the shop. the only time to not use any threadlocking compound that i can think of is if the fastener is plastick or the nut is plastick like our windshield mounting points. :neener

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1 on threadlocker

Download the manual and check your troque #s. After puting my bike together last weekend I did a once over on the bike. So many bolts were out of torque. Fork, handle bar, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts