Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, about tank covers....
Full or partial? Clear or leather/vinyl? These are some of my questions before I purchase a tank cover. Does anyone have any experience to share? Any pictures? I have read somewhere that some tank covers come off very easily and start slapping around. I don't know if it was a partial or full cover either. Does/can this happen? Does dirt get under these things and scratch up the tank? Sorry for the potentially dumb questions. I have never had a tank cover before nor have I ever known anyone with one. So, I have nothing to go on to assist my desire in purchasing a cover. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have owned a few and the worst thing is that the little plastic tabs that hook under the bottom of the tank will rub right through the paint and primer and the barer metal will start to rust. Dirt also finds its way under them. I wont own one again.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
I wouldn't dream of coving up this sexy tank. My oppinion is to save your money for something useful that will enhance the look of your bike instead of take away from it. I have the zipper tank protector (check out the pics in the thread about the seat cowl) and it adds a little bit of something to the looks of the bike, but doesn't look like a bra or piece of clear tape stuck on there. It only matters what your taste is and there are probably plenty of people who probably hate how my bike looks. I love it and that's what matters.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The vinyl/leather tank protectors are nice but yes, dirt does get underneath them. If you have one, it is best to clean under it regularly.
Other options are magnetic tank covers. They are quite expensive compared to most but they are quality product. Just make sure your tank is very clean before putting it on.

There is also the tankslapper. Not sure if they make this for the FZ yet but I had one on my last bike. It is a clear vinyl protector that is inexpensive and works great. Also, if you do use a vinyl half cover, you can put it over the tankslapper to help with scratches from debris etc.

Check out these links...

http://www.mag-knight.com/
http://www.thetankslapper.com/

Color matched magnetic bra....looks trick.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the links! Wow, what a price diff. between the 2 products. $20 vs. $100. Yes, the tankslapper is out for the FZ6. Since you have/had one, can you tell me a little about it? Did it hold up well to high winds? Would it come off if riding in the rain? Would you buy it again? I too like the color matched magnetic ones too. Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
62 Posts
krbprogrammer said:
Thanks for the links! Wow, what a price diff. between the 2 products. $20 vs. $100. Yes, the tankslapper is out for the FZ6. Since you have/had one, can you tell me a little about it? Did it hold up well to high winds? Would it come off if riding in the rain? Would you buy it again? I too like the color matched magnetic ones too. Decisions, decisions....
I only had one problem with the tankslapper. That was due to sheer stupidity. It was the one time I had to lay my bike down because I didn't have the kickstand down all the way. When I was lifting the bike back up, my jacket grabbed the center piece an pulled it off. It was no biggie. I just put it back on.

I'd wash right over it and wax over it. It's a little tricky when first applying it, it takes some patience but one it is on, it stays on pretty good. I never had a problem with it flapping in the wind etc. I had mine applied over a year and a half through rain and shine and never had to do anything to it beyond the first application. My bike got totaled and when I went to see it at the bike graveyard, the tank slapper was still in tact. I removed it for a keep sake. You have to spray water on the tank and take a litte squeegy which is provided to get the excess water from underneath. A smoth application leaves you without air bubbles etc. This is another product you want to make sure the tank is really clean. It will not cling well if you have a dirty tank.

Also, over time, some of the corners may come up slightly and get dirt under them, they will not stick again until you remove the section and clean it. You just repeat the same process for putting it back on.

I would most certainly buy one again, it's economical and does it's job well. If you don't like the look of a bulky tank cover then this is the way to go.

Hope this helps out a little. I totally had a good exerience with mine. It is worth 15 bucks. Although if I had the extra cash I problably would have gone with the magnetic cover. However, I think I'd be paranoid that someone may steal it. :)

oh, just wanted to add this too... it was another conversation that included folks opinions about the tank slapper. There were many postings about the slapper on SV rider and just like with anything, the opinions varied. I know there were more good than bad though.

http://www.svrider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=139465
http://www.svrider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=88955

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
I have covered extensive parts of my bike in **3M Clear Adhesive Urethane**

I feel this is superior to the Tank Slapper... and well so does the company when you visit their site. As they say it does give better protection and has a deeper shine.

Both are good though, and is the only way to go for me, why cover up your bike? You have to realllllyyyy look to see it on my bike, and as I said, I have covered a lot of the bike in it.

It has been through many washings, waxings, and high speed rides. All are firmly stuck on as if it were their first day. (Yes, they can be removed if one wishes, it's not permanent.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I just ordered the #M product for my bike. Should be here in a few days. I can't wait !! Now for the Top-Line belly pan and a Givi top case. I'm set...and broke :)

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
heres mine. its really for an fz1

:headbang

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have had the tankslapper on the 929 for about 4 years now. It just started to peel up this year. Not a bad investment for $15 (was the price at that time). Planning to replace it with another set. Wish they made a set for my 750 Turbo. Really great product.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that I purchased the 3M, I am wondering about the "adhesiveness" messing up the paint job. The dealer stated it would not be a problem on OEM paint. But...who knows. Hopefully I won't find out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
krbprogrammer said:
Now that I purchased the 3M, I am wondering about the "adhesiveness" messing up the paint job. The dealer stated it would not be a problem on OEM paint. But...who knows. Hopefully I won't find out.
You'll be fine. They use that stuff on the classic cars to keep paint chips off the edges of the hood. Have yet to hear of an issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a full tank cover a couple of days ago. BAgster makes it and it really looks very nice. I live in greece so I don't know where you guys would find BAGSTER over there in the states. I will post some pictures of the tank cover asap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
greece said:
I bought a full tank cover a couple of days ago. BAgster makes it and it really looks very nice. I live in greece so I don't know where you guys would find BAGSTER over there in the states. I will post some pictures of the tank cover asap.

Cool, I seen your pics. Very, very nice. Any complaints or comments on it yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts