Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my old and dependable Icon tank bag 'cause the magnets would always be scratching the paint. I refuse to let that happen to my CBR, lol. It's hard to keep the magnetic flaps clean when you use the bag everyday.

I am looking for something that I can strap down and not scratch the tank during normal use. My other option would be to install the clear 3M protector I see on eBay all the time, but I'd rather not. I have a tail bag now but it annoys me that it takes over the pillion seat and looks somewhat fugly too.

So what are my options? I could fit a helmet (very tightly) in the Icon, I'd like similar capacity or maybe something expandable. Water-resistant at least (I think they all are). Clear map pocket. Straps should be able to be made permanent on the bike, with a quick-release system. Carrying strap or even better, backpack straps.

I'd like to keep it at under $150. I'm still debating whether to go with this or the GIVI topcase/rack - my prob with that is that the rack is permanent, and looks like crap when it doesn't have the case on top. Plus it makes the bike top-heavy and handle a little differently.

TIA

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Well my Tour Master was OK as it had one long flap on each side, but it would pick up crap - like the rivet from exhaust can when I repacked it - from all kinds of places, then scratch the paint.When you're constantly jumping on and off the bike (I'm a commuter), you can easily miss dirt on the magnets. My Icon bag had four flaps, though, so that was even worse.

I figured a strap type would be better, as the only thing being placed on the bike is the actual bag.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not think of that. Thanks, Jim. I may just get a nice big bag and some of that clear film to put on the tank. Problem solved! I guess the 3M stuff is pretty unnoticeable, and even if it is, its function beats its form :)

Joe Rocket has a real nice magnetic one, good for a weekend trip... So does Givi...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
get the tankslapper film kit - I have it on my FJR and it's nearly invisible on the tank.

I use a magnetic Cortech tank bag on top of it.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike, I was thinking of the Tankslapper kit too. But hwat about duct tape? That's what the mag testers use when heading out on touring trips. I could put it on the magnetic flaps themselves - much easier to clean (and harder to get dirty) than the rubber or vinyl pads on the flaps. And it doesn't go on the bike itself, which is a major plus.

cajun, thanks for that link. I'd seen them before but couldn't remember where. A little pricey but worth it, unfortunately they don't yet have the size I am looking for.

I am considering bags from Nelson-Rigg, Chase Harper, and MotoPak now, once I resolve the attachment issue.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Maybe for a few extra bucks the can make a b***** one.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Here's a trick I learned from an old graybeard...

Go buy a sheet of reeeeally thin neoprene. Glue it onto your bag and cut it to fit and look nice. The neoprene protects your paintjob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go to Sears and get tool drawer liner (black). It is "grippy" and protects the metal drawers. Cut it to the shape of your tankbag and lay it down first. Not only will it protect the paint, it gives the bag a little more "grip" on the tank. If it gets dirty, chuck it and cut a new one. Comes in rolls to do multiple drawers. About $20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts