Sport Bikes banner
221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Here's what you said. The implication is there.
Sorry, I didn't mean it and don't see it. I used DUI as an example of something that someone could do repeatedly that still wasn't safe.

And, by the way, what about you being fine after not taking the MSF? Isn't that the same sort of illogical reasoning you don't like?
My best buddy just picked up a bike and I insisted he go through an MSF course before he starts riding it on the street. I also told him if I ever caught him drinking alcohol before riding I would render his bike unable to function ever again. 8 hours bottle to throttle. We're in an age demographic where guys get bike cruisers and kill themselves on them. Won't let that happen.

In the thread you mentioned I also counseled the wayward OP to attend one of those sessions. I just thought the vitriol in the thread had risen inappropriately.

As you yourself said, people are inherently distractable. The mind will find something to occupy it when it doesn't have enough to do. Driving down a straight, empty highway with nothing around isn't enough stimulation. You are either going to daydream, or find something else to do, or maybe even fall asleep if the trip is long enough. You need to be able to maintain situational awareness while avoiding boredom.

I never said I've never been distracted either. I did say that I find passengers to be very distracting, and that people should be able to manage the many distractions that come with modern life. Any time you look at your speedometer or dash lights/gauges, adjust your mirrors or change a radio station, look at your GPS, try to figure out where the sound of sirens is coming from, or check your blind spot, you are distracted from the road or some part of it.

Last weekend I nearly got hit by a truck who was looking for traffic coming from the opposite direction and didn't look back one more time before pulling out. He was distracted BY his attention to the road. He didn't hit me because experience, instinct and muscle memory (not conscious thought) made me prepared to countersteer quickly out of his way.

Answering or making a phone call for a few minutes at appropriate times (not, for example, when pulling out into traffic) doesn't take up very much of your $10 of attention, if you are an experienced driver.

Making up redundant laws doesn't change or resolve anything either.
Oh, I'm not in favor of any laws to address this, I think people should act responsibly. I just objected to your blunt assertion that a cell phone never distracted you while driving. You just can't know that.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Not sure I ever said that. I said I don't allow conversations to become a distraction, even if it means I have to ignore people talking to me. I'm not perfect, of course, contrary to popular belief, so of course things have distracted me before, but I am aware that I need to guard against it. None of us can say daydreaming, boredom, or being on auto-pilot never distracted us either and that has been going on for a lot longer than cell phones have been around.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
In the thread you mentioned I also counseled the wayward OP to attend one of those sessions. I just thought the vitriol in the thread had risen inappropriately.
I know, but I had to mention it since it contradicted what you were saying in this thread. I happen to agree with you there. I didn't take the MSF for a long time and only did it to encourage a new-rider friend to go many years later. I do think that it's the best way to learn the basics. I wasn't completely new to motorcycles when I started street riding, but it probably would have helped if I took it. I got some pretty solid instruction from an experienced rider at the time.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I wasn't completely new to motorcycles when I started street riding, but it probably would have helped if I took it. I got some pretty solid instruction from an experienced rider at the time.
I was pretty green when I got my first bike (in 1986!), but such training venues were rare and expensive where I was in those days. I suspect one would have benefited me quite a bit, but fortunately I was too poor to buy anything better than a small POS bike and too chickenshit to do anything dangerous on it.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Cause célèbre du jour - flyaway bounce houses. We have seen an alarming and significant increase in these horrific and senseless tragedies in the news. We have to do something. Not one more airbourne bounce house child left behind.

Bounce house goes airborne, spins high, seriously injuring two boysÂ*-Â*Los Angeles Times

Cell phone camera while driving? What if someone was texting here?

Obviously this person is texting behind the wheel, increasing this cataclysm.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
:rolleyes

The quality of your counterargument continues to decline.

PhilB

Reactions: lasermax

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
fuck.

I'm done.

Once again, hopefully y'all will remain lucky and neither of you will have to learn the hard way about how this works in real life, and about the very real effects of risking other people's lives and safety for your convenience.

PhilB
Oh, you're still here?

Somewhere, there's another layer of laws on top of laws already existing covering the same thing, that needs your support. I suggest looking into those concerning traveling in the breakdown lanes.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Oh, you're still here?

Somewhere, there's another layer of laws on top of laws already existing covering the same thing, that needs your support. I suggest looking into those concerning traveling in the breakdown lanes.
:rolleyes

The quality of your counterargument continues to decline.

PhilB

Reactions: lasermax

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
It's not even an argument any more, it's just someone refusing to shut up once the argument is lost.
Welcome to the internet.

Protip: we do not need more laws!

Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
We also don't need the ones we have regarding this topic. Ever look at the clouds when driving? Birds? Hot chick?

Congrats, you little danger to society you.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Little different, glancing at someone, or the sky, versus texting or reading texts on your phone. I just try not to divert my eyes or attention from the road for that long. I'm never coming back to this damn thread.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I never once said anything about any new law.

This is what the argument is about, just not whether you think so or not. Phil is so emotional about this topic that he goes after anyone who doesn't blindly agree with him like a rabid dog.

No one said texting and driving or any other form of distracted driving is good or desirable. We just don't need redundant laws making it extra illegal.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Little different, glancing at someone, or the sky, versus texting or reading texts on your phone. I just try not to divert my eyes or attention from the road for that long. I'm never coming back to this damn thread.
Wait, I thought texting was like drunk driving. Or worse. Once you look at your phone, you're drunk...

You mean to say you can take responsibility for your own actions, when you can take your eyes off the road and when you don't?

It's not even an argument any more, it's just someone refusing to shut up once the argument is lost.
"I'm done"... :rolleyes

Unless I'm not really done, and I have to resurrect this thread in another thread for internet cookies.
:grump

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
First let me say the I once broke a mirror off a car and dropped my bike right after because I looked at a hot chick that was looking at me. I did however avoid the big wreck I would have had if I hadnt taken action quickly once I seen I was comming up on a bunch of cars braking hard.

Second I can say that I absolutely have had talking on the phone save me from accidents. More than once I have been very tired and picked up my phone and talked to someone till I made it the rest of the way home. I have also had other times that I didnt talk on the phone and when I got home could not remember the trip to the house at all..... I am sure I was a much b***** danger when I couldnt remember even taking turns.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts