Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to sell my tall windshield. Still in factory box with no defects. PM me if you're interested or have any questions. Cheers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I thought i might be interested

I thought I might be interested but now I'm not so sure. I have not heard from anyone who likes the tall windshield. I'm 5'8" and get a fair amount of wind noise but not much buffeting anymore since I got a new Arai helmet that fits real good.

I'm doing a 2,000 mile trip in a couple weeks and wondered if the tall windshield might help. I can live with the short windshield so the to me the tall one would just be a luxury.

Any thoughts out there?????????

Bill

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill, I'm the same size as you and found it did help. I dealt with alot of side winds as well, and obviously nothing is going to help that other than being enclosed. For those too much taller, it would probably be a detriment, as it raises the deflection point to their head rather than their chest.

I was not crazy about the look, and thus the reason I'm selling mine. For those looking for functionality over style, it's a non-issue. It doesn't look horrible, but I still wanted that sportier look...

·
Registered
9 Posts
No question that the taller windshield helps when at highway speeds but seems to me to do nothing around town. It doesn't look as good as the shorter one, IMO. I'm 5'9. I got caught in a little shower and stayed pretty dry, too. It took so little time to switch the screens so I hung the tall one on a padded hook until I decide to put it on. Two minutes, tops.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm leaving today

I'm leaving on a 2,000+ 2 week trip today with the shorter windshield. Hope it works ok. If not I may be in the market for the taller one. I'll report in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Any tall dudes with the tall windshield?

I've been wondering about the tall windshield myself. I'm 6'3" and I love my FZ6, but.... the wind noise is truly deafening on this thing over 35mph.

I also have a 2000 CBR600F4 (for sale BTW), and suprisingly, the wind noise is less on the F4, even though my helmet is totally in the airstream on that bike. I did a back to back ride the other week and was amazed at the difference in wind noise. I have to wear earplugs all of the time when I ride the FZ6.

Does anyone know if the tall windscreen would help with the wind noise at my height? If so, I NEED to buy one. Any tall guys out there with the same problem that I'm having? I'll take additional wind blast if necessary, but I need to get the wind noise down. Weird stuff.

JimE
http://jrevans.fbody.com

p.s. - This is my first post to sb.net. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and am impressed with the knowlege around here. I'm an old "mailing list" person, but this is a pretty good board. :)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
dbuchanan said:
I'm looking to sell my tall windshield. Still in factory box with no defects. PM me if you're interested or have any questions. Cheers.

I am interested. I sent you a PM.

Robert

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you tried wearing earplugs? I wear them about half the time.

jrevans said:
I've been wondering about the tall windshield myself. I'm 6'3" and I love my FZ6, but.... the wind noise is truly deafening on this thing over 35mph.

I also have a 2000 CBR600F4 (for sale BTW), and suprisingly, the wind noise is less on the F4, even though my helmet is totally in the airstream on that bike. I did a back to back ride the other week and was amazed at the difference in wind noise. I have to wear earplugs all of the time when I ride the FZ6.

Does anyone know if the tall windscreen would help with the wind noise at my height? If so, I NEED to buy one. Any tall guys out there with the same problem that I'm having? I'll take additional wind blast if necessary, but I need to get the wind noise down. Weird stuff.

JimE

p.s. - This is my first post to sb.net. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and am impressed with the knowlege around here. I'm an old "mailing list" person, but this is a pretty good board. :)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Looking to reduce wind noise

NamingException said:
Have you tried wearing earplugs? I wear them about half the time.
Not to be a smarty :) , but yes, as I stated in my original post, I wear earplugs almost all of the time when riding the FZ6. I wish that I didn't have to.

I'm thinking of buying one of those Njo "quiet rider" things that fits on the bottom on my helmet. I notice that if I'm wearing my high collar jacket and scrunch my shoulders up were the collar is in contact with the bottom of my helmet, the wind noise is greatly decreased. From that experiment, I'm guessing that the wind noise is coming from the bottom of my helmet, thus my hope that a taller windscreen would help out.

jrevans said:
I have to wear earplugs all of the time when I ride the FZ6.
JimE

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also wear earplugs most of the time also. I enjoy how the devils sound with them in. Its almost like a jet engine when you get on it.
Another thing that I think has been mentioned on other parts of this forum is Koss 'The Plug' head phones. These things kick ass for a $20 set of headphones! They are like earplugs but have a little tube that goes down the middle. It cancels out mostly all of the wind noise and jams tunes from your mp3 player straight to the ears. I keep it a little low so I can hear sirens or a horn if around but it makes just riding a whole diff experience. The only problem is I enjoy some hard rock sometimes and it tends to make me twist that throttle a little more.
:headbang

·
Registered
193 Posts
do not get the tall windscreen, it is horrible, the Puig racing screen is the solution, much less noise and the wind is distributed to your shoulders not your head

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
jrevans said:
Not to be a smarty :) , but yes, as I stated in my original post, I wear earplugs almost all of the time when riding the FZ6. I wish that I didn't have to.

JimE

I have not ridden a motorcycle yet, that did not require earplugs and that includes two BMWs with touring windscreen. They were worse without a taller screen.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cavi said:
do not get the tall windscreen, it is horrible, the Puig racing screen is the solution, much less noise and the wind is distributed to your shoulders not your head
Have you tried both? Just curious, as I saw someone else post (somewhere) that the Puig was not the solution either.

Bottom line is that the FZ6 is a horrible turbulence machine. I think the solution is to just take the windshield off. I did some local cruising and that seemed decent, but I didn't take it on the highway like that...hmmm...may be worth a try...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cavi said:

Puig, tall, stock, no windshield, whatever you have is going to produce the same result on our bike. The variable is the RIDER! Height, inseam, riding sitting up or leaning over all play an important factor. What works great for one person may not work well for another and vice-versa. From what I have read and my opinion from experience is that the tall windshield moves the turbulence higher (no kidding, look at the lip) and rattles my head on the e-way. I am 6' with a 32" inseam and sit up. The stock windscreen keeps my helmet in relatively "clean" air, therefor is flows over/under/around my helmet as opposed to swirling smack at my forehead. Now on the otherhand, someone thats 5'8" or 5'9" may have excellent results, and someone that 6'3" may find it works well for them too (unlikely in my opinion).

If you want wind protection buy a Goldwing (hell, I smoked a cigarette on one in February when I rented it in Phoenix) because this bike wont provide major wind protection. I tried everything on my last bike from tall/aftermarket shields and wind directing lips until I realized it was pointless, because it wasnt going to do what I wanted no matter what I did.

As for earplugs, no matter what helmet or windshield they are a great idea. Of course cruising around town at low speeds they may not be needed, but e-way or long jaunts they are imperative. You can hear traffic and sirens just fine. I never ride w/o them because I want to be able to hear my grandkids!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, unless you're 4'6 with a 40" inseam, having no windscreen would pretty much assure the wind is not buffeting your head ;)

I do a lot of freeway riding in traffic, as well as in the back country. I can definitely say that if there is any turbulent wind in front of me (e.g. from all those "blocks" moving through the air at 80MPH, otherwise known as SUVs) this bike does not deal with it well at any speed. However, if I'm in open country doing the same speeds, wind buffeting is much, much better.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
dbuchanan said:
Bottom line is that the FZ6 is a horrible turbulence machine. I think the solution is to just take the windshield off. I did some local cruising and that seemed decent, but I didn't take it on the highway like that...hmmm...may be worth a try...

As always, your windage may vary :)

I would not call the FZ6 horrible. For me the stock screen is adequate for my height, using earplugs and my Nolan N100 Flipface helmet. I just wish it were a bit more quiet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My last bike of comparison was a YZF600R, and I never even thought about wind buffeting. This problem is definitely a disappointment for me, as I think it detracts from what should be an awesome sport bike.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Wind noise sucks....

I'm really quite happy with the wind protection from the FZ6 as it blocks almost all of the blast from my body, but the wind noise drives me crazy.

This morning while riding to work (I love riding to work) on the highway (around 75mph), I noticed that if I sat up really tall, the wind noise decreased. Odd, but I guess this relates to what I experienced with my F4. (e.g. head fully in the windstream reduces wind noise)

Based on that, it seems like a taller windscreen probably wouldn't help, but I'm still willing to try one. I've wasted money on worst things before. :) How much are the tall factory windscreens? Anyone still have one for sale?

Has anyone tried those laminar-lip type products (or just some rubber weatherstriping) that go around the edge of the windscreen to supposedly reduce turblence? I seem to recall reading about FZ1 owners doing that.

JimE

·
Registered
4 Posts
I currently own a Seca II, probably buying a FZ6 this weekend.
I've ridden bikes with no windscreen and a tall windscreen (Seca is taller with a hole in it) The bikes all felt the same.
The one thing I noticed is my $30 Bieffe helmet is MUCH quieter than my $350 Arai helmet. The arai rcoks however and is very comfortable otherwise.
So for me the helmet seems to make the biggest difference.
I'm 6'1" 34" inseam.

I like the idea of noise cancelling headphones. Do they work without music on??
perhaps a dumb question, but what the hell...

Jim

1 - 20 of 31 Posts