Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
I like white pants
Joined
·
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a decent ride this weekend, did just over 1100 miles and have found out that the tall windscreen sucks! I am only 6 feet tall and Yamaha lies about it being a "tall" shield. The only thing good is that I only needed to duck 4 inches to be outta the turbulence, which isnt a very comfortable position. When cruising upright its downright violent and when your behind a car or truck its horrendous! The amount of buffeting and turbulence it not tolerable for the price that would have been paid for the shield.

Being up in the clean air with the stock windshield is 10 times better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
For that reason I was happy to stick with the shorter stock screen.

You might want to check out an aftermarket addon, I think its called a "laminar lip". It supposedly raises the boundary layer. (My guess it will only raise it 1 or 2 inches).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
did 740 miles behind my tall shield yesterday/this morning. Agree whole heartedly. Putting my original shield on again to test it out once more.
 

·
TD Survivor
Joined
·
944 Posts
was wondering bout the taller shield. im 6'4" but the wind has not bothered me much. glad i didnt fork over the cash just to get worse turbulance.
 

·
Ride Naked
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
That's pretty much what a lot of people have said about the Puig. Man I wish someone would make an aftermarket sheild that was stock height!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Wow. I was almost given one for the Xmas after I got my fizzer. Now I am really glad it didn't happen.

The bike is already easily buffeted when trailing a pickup. Semis are just horrid. I certainly don't need a windshield that makes things worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Help may be just around the corner.... Maybe. Cee Baileys should have their touring windshield ready for our bikes in a little less than a month. I spoke to them personally and was told to keep checking the website. I'm 6'3", 34" Inseam and I've noticed the windblast is not placed in the right spot for me. I almost made the mistake of buying the Yamaha so called tall screen but after a little more research I'm glad i didn't. I haven't heard very many riders that said it helped them. As soon as I get my hands on the CB's screen I will take photo's and post a write up. :cheers
 

·
Theres no I in threesome
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
Kneedragger said:
Wow. I was almost given one for the Xmas after I got my fizzer. Now I am really glad it didn't happen.

The bike is already easily buffeted when trailing a pickup. Semis are just horrid. I certainly don't need a windshield that makes things worse.
Thats only because you aren't following them closely enough. I assure you, there is probably no wind 3' behind a semi trailer :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
skeleton said:
For that reason I was happy to stick with the shorter stock screen.

You might want to check out an aftermarket addon, I think its called a "laminar lip". It supposedly raises the boundary layer. (My guess it will only raise it 1 or 2 inches).
I just wish they'd make a lip that didn't LOOK horrid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I tried the SA ENG "swirl edging" the other day

DEFINITELY not an improvment!!
I ran up to 70mph and inbetween, buffeting just seemed to raise
about 3-4 inches (worse on my helmet than before).
Also the lip does not fit the edge of the stock screen very well.

Now I'm after a refund , wish me luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I may be odd, but I love my tall windshield! I am only 5' 10" so maybe it is helping me more than you tall ones. I wouldn't trade it!
 

·
Theres no I in threesome
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
I dont have a windshield at all, and there is no buffeting at any speed :) Just even pressure on the chest, thats about it.
 

·
NOT SURE
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
slvrblt416 said:
Help may be just around the corner.... Maybe. Cee Baileys should have their touring windshield ready for our bikes in a little less than a month. I spoke to them personally and was told to keep checking the website. I'm 6'3", 34" Inseam and I've noticed the windblast is not placed in the right spot for me. I almost made the mistake of buying the Yamaha so called tall screen but after a little more research I'm glad i didn't. I haven't heard very many riders that said it helped them. As soon as I get my hands on the CB's screen I will take photo's and post a write up. :cheers
Thanks for the tip. I sent an email to them:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,948 Posts
energyrail said:
this disscussion is totally dependent on rider height

Yep.
It's great if your a shorty (no offence) and if your 6'4" like me the wind blast hits you in the neck instead of the chest. Keeps me a bit warmer during the colder months, then I switch back to the stock screen in the dogdays of summer to get more air flow on my chest. Never had any problems with bad wind with either screen.
 

·
Engineering Pathologist
Joined
·
598 Posts
crx81 said:
That's pretty much what a lot of people have said about the Puig. Man I wish someone would make an aftermarket sheild that was stock height!
I have a Puig light smoke shield that is stock height, no double bubble. Same shape as stock, just tinted and blacked out at the bottom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Tall shield just sucks....

slimjim said:
Yep.
It's great if your a shorty (no offence) and if your 6'4" like me the wind blast hits you in the neck instead of the chest. Keeps me a bit warmer during the colder months, then I switch back to the stock screen in the dogdays of summer to get more air flow on my chest. Never had any problems with bad wind with either screen.
I'm not sure if it is related to height. I swear that at high speeds (above 75mph) the buffetting was shaking the front end, not just my helmet. But, I guess that could have been my perception. I really didn't like the tall windshield, but I have to admit that it did provide better wind protection in the cold weather. I'm much happier overall with my Puig Double-Bubble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
kneeforu said:
I may be odd, but I love my tall windshield! I am only 5' 10" so maybe it is helping me more than you tall ones. I wouldn't trade it!

From another 5' 10" guy... I agree with kneeforu. No problem here! It is more noisy than the stock but no buffeting.
 

·
needs a job
Joined
·
739 Posts
I agree totally-- the tall windscreen just increases noise and buffeting (I'm 5' 9"). What I did was take a jigsaw to my tall screen and cut it about 4-5" below the stock screen height. I take more wind to the head and chest, but the wind at my head is mostly *quiet*, which is nice. I should post up a thread about my little mod...

OTOH, I'm happy to hear that there are plans to produce a true touring shield for our bike. If it were high enough to put the wind over the head, I'd buy one in a millisecond.
 

·
NOT SURE
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
I'm 5'8" and I'm a user of the Yam taller windscreen. I've tried the 12-step program but I still get blasted by turbulant wind from the neck up at speeds above 55mph. When this happens the bike seems less stable and the noise wears me out. The only upside is that this shield keeps me from speeding. It's completely up to a higher power to get me off this shield.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top