Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to the forum and I would just like to say that the amount of knowledge here is awesome, so figured I would see If any tall riders had any suggestions. I 've read all the windsreen posts and still don't have a clear answer on what screen would help my buffeting. I'm 6'3" 215lbs w/a 34 inch inseam, and w/the stock screen the amount of buffeting around 70-80 is cause for concern. I put ALOT of miles on my bike and love it, but after 60 miles I get off the bike with bobblehead syndrome :lao. I use my bike as a daily driver and as a very sporty touring bike. I believe the bike and windscreen is designed for somewhat shorter riders so I can live with little tweaks such as this to "fit" the bike to my size. This is the most useful bike that I have ever owned, you can build it to whatever your rider style may be. My first 600 miles took only 2 days and the 1000 took only two more days, this is the easiest bike to work on that I've found. Anyway.. now that I broke the ice I guess I can stop just looking around and start contributing. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Have you tried changing your seating posture at all yet? Stick your butt at the back of the bike, if that isn't how you're already sitting and you should lose a couple of inches up top because you'll be leaning into the screen a bit more.

Oh, and it could just be your helmet being designed poorly, what do you use? I think all of our heads clear the stock screen by quite a bit now that I think about it.

I know, it's an obvious thing but I figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!! I use an HJC CL-14, which is not a high end helmet by any means but I think its probably a middle of the road lid. I found that if I stand up ever so slightly to make myself a few inches taller that my head is in clean air, and of course when I lean on the tank that pretty much puts me in clean air as well. Where should I shoot for getting the air flowing to? chin, overhead, chest,visor, or just any way that cleans up the air. I usually ride in an upright position so that I sit on the wider part of the seat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am six foot and just put a puig on mine. It seems to do a little better for me at the head but not the shoulders, but you have 3 inches on me and I can definetly understand how you are getting a lot of wind. I have looked for a touring shield with a lip on top but don't know of any made for the FZ6 at this point but I could be wrong, I didn't do a detailed search. I do recall a device that is like an extra little shield that attaches to the top edge of the stock shield. It creates a gap between the shield and this piece, causeing the air to circulate up and over the rider. The big problem is I can't remember the name of the thing to tell you where to look. I know there have been discussions about it here in the past so it may come up in the search feature. I did not buy one because I did not like the looks of it but you would have to decide for yourself if you would want it. If anyone remembers this thing and knows the name please help me out, otherwise I will keep trying to find it and let you know when I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I believe your talking about the laminar lip. I did look at them...but like you I wasn't sold on the looks. I called Cee Bailey and they said they were 30 days away from having a touring screen ready, I guess we'll have to wait on that. The looks of the Puig are sure hard to beat though!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yea I really like the look of the puig. I got the blue one and I am really happy with it. I ride almost every day for commuting as well and so I may consider a lipped touring screen once they come out.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fz6rider04 said:
Yea I really like the look of the puig. I got the blue one and I am really happy with it. I ride almost every day for commuting as well and so I may consider a lipped touring screen once they come out.
If you get the touring shield and want to get rid of the Puig, let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would the factory taller screen help with my height, I know with shorter riders it can cause some buffeting, maybe just the ticket for me though. If so does anyone have one they would like to sell.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Didn't really help for me

slvrblt416 said:
Would the factory taller screen help with my height, I know with shorter riders it can cause some buffeting, maybe just the ticket for me though. If so does anyone have one they would like to sell.
I'm 6'3" and although the tall windscreen blocks more wind (appreciated when it's cold out) it made buffetting much worse for me. I'd like to find the solution too!

p.s. - the tall windscreen also created a freaky handling problem above 90mph for me. Almost like the front end weighting was changed drastically or something. Very spooky when it happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks jrevans for the reply, I spoke with Rifle about a week ago and what I got from them wasn't favorable. So.... when I called Cee Baileys I expected more of the same thing, but to my surprise they said "about thirty days just keep your eyes on the website" Until they're screen will be ready. So I am looking forward to seeing what they have to offer. I was on twisted throttle.com and found a MRA Vario Touring Screen but no pic on our bike. I NEED to see it on an FZ-6 before I pull the tr***** on one. I know the larger touring screens aren't near as sexy as the stocker or Puig but my touring screen will be on for long trips only (100-500miles roughly) so I can live with a little fugliness. :lol

Has anyone seen or have a pic of the MRA Vario Touring Screen on an FZ-6? If so send it my way!! I'm not sure about the wing.....I've never had a screen w/an adjustable wing. Anybody have experience w/a winged windscreen.

P.s. jrevans NICE webpage!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
6'/ 212lbs...
i have an egro problem, but that's due to me laggin on the bar raisers and a better seat.
I was going to suggest the same thing on the Helmet model. Unless there's high winds, i don't get any 'bobble head'. i change my seating position constantly on long distance riding, and rarely does the wind impact change.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm 6'5'' and am pretty happy with the Puig bouble bubble, it really flows the wind around my helmet. As a previous whiplash sufferer it was pretty hard to turn my head sideways to look over my shoulder on highways with the stock screen. The Puig cured all that. Downside is that there some buffering around my shoulders, making the bike feel a bit less stable at very high speeds, but with the strikt speed limits over here, that doesn't happen too often.....

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
I'm 6' 0" 200 lbs. I have a Puig windscreen an a Arai Quantum/f helmet. I don't have any problems with buffeting. Maybe its the windscreen or maybe its the helmet. Might be a combo of the two.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm 6'0" and use the HJC AC11 helmet; at speeds over 70 I had some issues with my head bouncing around. By leaning a little forward and tilting my head down slightly I can catch a smooth ride.. accept for those cross-winds.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
One way to tell if you have a lift-related problem is to just place your finger on top of your helmet at speed. Up until I got my RF1000 (with the big duckbill) I'd use small plastic bumpers to upset the lamimar flow on my helmet. I can give you more information about it if you'd like. BTW, I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam.

Otherwise, I guess your only other option is a different windscreen. You can experiment with a piece of cardboard or foam taped in different configurations to see if it will help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim, I am curious about the plastic bumpers and where to place them. I've never heard of this but I'm willing to try it. I absolutely LOVE my FZ6 & I'm just trying to clean up the air around my helmet as much as possible. Does placing the bumpers divert the wind in some way to reduce turbulance. My bike runs sooooo smooth on the highway its scary. But I believe due to my height I have an amount of turbulance that I think can be reduced. I can't wait to see the Cee Baileys screen that will be out soon. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
slvrblt416 said:
Thanks jrevans for the reply, I spoke with Rifle about a week ago and what I got from them wasn't favorable. So.... when I called Cee Baileys I expected more of the same thing, but to my surprise they said "about thirty days just keep your eyes on the website" Until they're screen will be ready. So I am looking forward to seeing what they have to offer. I was on twisted throttle.com and found a MRA Vario Touring Screen but no pic on our bike. I NEED to see it on an FZ-6 before I pull the tr***** on one. I know the larger touring screens aren't near as sexy as the stocker or Puig but my touring screen will be on for long trips only (100-500miles roughly) so I can live with a little fugliness. :lol
That's great news that we might have another windshield option for the FZ6. The tall yamaha screen doesn't look that great on the bike, and I'd be willing to suck it up if it worked better that it does. Oh well.

slvrblt416 said:
P.s. jrevans NICE webpage!!!!
Thanks for the compliment. I need to update all of my pages someday but I have no time right now.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
slvrblt416 said:
Jim, I am curious about the plastic bumpers and where to place them. I've never heard of this but I'm willing to try it. I absolutely LOVE my FZ6 & I'm just trying to clean up the air around my helmet as much as possible. Does placing the bumpers divert the wind in some way to reduce turbulance. My bike runs sooooo smooth on the highway its scary. But I believe due to my height I have an amount of turbulance that I think can be reduced. I can't wait to see the Cee Baileys screen that will be out soon. Thanks for the help!!
A lot of times, turbulence and buffeting expresses itself at the point where airflow leaves your helmet. For most people, that's about a third of the way down the back.

What I'm talking about is plastic bumpers like you might put on the bottom of something to keep it from scratching your table. They come in round or square (pyramidal) shapes, in several sizes and are self stick. What you are trying to acomplish is to dirty up the airflow so it leaves the helmet in wisps rather than waves.

On my HJC, CL12, I settled on a single row of 5 3/8" high bumpers. When I bought the RF1000, I discovered that its spoiler was in the exact same place as the row I'd attached my spoiler to the HJC.

If you'd like to try something different, make a pattern in a triangle (of shorter round bumpers in clear that is a triangle with a wide base something like this:

(Imagine this as an equilateral triangle, the message board makes it flush left.)
* * * * * (endpoint)

The pattern starts about on top and ends roughly 1/3 of the way down the back of the helmet (or just after the part that is highest on your normal riding position.)

Sounds goofy but it works, particularly in reducing problems caused by lift. It's also removable.

I beleive you can also buy the RF1000 spoiler and doublestick tape it to the back of your helmet. This might be a more elegant solution.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
jim schmidt said:
A lot of times, turbulence and buffeting expresses itself at the point where airflow leaves your helmet. For most people, that's about a third of the way down the back.

What I'm talking about is plastic bumpers like you might put on the bottom of something to keep it from scratching your table. They come in round or square (pyramidal) shapes, in several sizes and are self stick. What you are trying to acomplish is to dirty up the airflow so it leaves the helmet in wisps rather than waves.

On my HJC, CL12, I settled on a single row of 5 3/8" high bumpers. When I bought the RF1000, I discovered that its spoiler was in the exact same place as the row I'd attached my spoiler to the HJC.

If you'd like to try something different, make a pattern in a triangle (of shorter round bumpers in clear that is a triangle with a wide base something like this:

(Imagine this as an equilateral triangle, the message board makes it flush left.)
* * * * * (endpoint)

The pattern starts about on top and ends roughly 1/3 of the way down the back of the helmet (or just after the part that is highest on your normal riding position.)

Sounds goofy but it works, particularly in reducing problems caused by lift. It's also removable.

I beleive you can also buy the RF1000 spoiler and doublestick tape it to the back of your helmet. This might be a more elegant solution.
:needpics

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an old street bike helmet (I think it was my dads) with some kind of spoiler on the back, I might try to play with that a bit if I can get it off. I will try to find a pic of your helmet and mimick the placement.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts