Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a sportbike and im 6'5" I already ride a Yamaha v star 650 (which I feel quite cramped on) and am looking at getting a 600 sportbike in the near future. I know that when you buy a bike you need to actually sit on it and get a feel but I wanted to know if there are any other tall riders that have a sportbike that they recommend because it fits a taller rider or what they added on to their bike to make it more comfortable for them like lowered pegs raised bars. Any insight would be awesome.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I agree with Jim, Im a foot shorter than you and Im completely comfortable on these small bikes, so you'd probably be super cramped.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I'm 6'3" (and skinny, which helps) and am very comfortable on my zx6r. There's a pretty significant difference between 6'3" and 6'5" though IMO, so while I would DEFINITELY recommend trying sitting on or test-riding some 600SS bikes if that is the type of bike you're looking for, it might not work out for you. Luckily, there are plenty of viable alternatives:

- Suzuki SV1000/DL650/DL1000
- Ducati Multistrada, Hypermotard
- Kawasaki Versys, Z1000, Ninja 650/1000, ER6N, KLR650
- Yamaha FZ8, FZ1
- Aprilia Pegaso, Dorsoduro

And the list goes on. While they are not all "supersports", they provide 95% of the thrill in a more accommodating package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 6'4" and have found anything by KTM has comfy ergos for taller riders. I have RC8R and it is great, though it isn't a 600. A Super Duke or any of the LC8 bikes will be fun if you don't need a fairing.

Any other bike (that is under 500lbs) you can live with but it will require modifications to ever be comfortable.

If you are on budget the older triumph 955i Daytona 2002-2006 is a good bike for tall guys too.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am about the same height as you. 6'6 .... If your looking for 600 specific i will reccomend the bike i have currently Honda f4i, ZZR600, and zx6r all 3 were comfy for me and but the ZZR600 was just awesome. But i <3 Hondas :)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'm 6'6" and the most comfortable bike I've owned so far is the VFR. The old zx I had on track duty always felt like I was riding a tricycle.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm 6'4" and am pretty comfy on the VTR1000 Superhawk. I'm pretty skinny but if you're heavier the engine on this thing is a stump puller. They need stiffer fork springs though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You're gonna have a hard time fitting on a 600. They're tiny. Maybe look at an FZ-1, SV-1000, or a Ninja 1K.
WHAT?! :eek:nfloor A b***** engine is not going to make him any less cramped. The bikes are pretty much the same size.

IIRC the R6 has a higher seat than the other 600s. But because a lot will depend on your actual body proportions you just need to get your ass in some seats! :beer

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
The bikes he mentioned are sport standards not superbikes.... I'll second those and add the previous generation VFR. I'm 6'6" and mine is comfortable enough for 500 mile days. Wouldn't want to try an iron butt on it, but I can ride sunup to sundown and only stop for fuel and lunch with no issues. Couldn't fold myself onto an SS or superbike if I wanted to.

The ZX14 and Hayabusa are also very comfortable, but I wouldn't recommend them to somebody whose only experience is on a 650cc cruiser...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I'm 6'4" and am pretty comfy on the VTR1000 Superhawk. I'm pretty skinny but if you're heavier the engine on this thing is a stump puller. They need stiffer fork springs though.
You must have long legs and a really short torso then because I found that and the RC51 to be the most cramped bikes on the planet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
WHAT?! :eek:nfloor A b***** engine is not going to make him any less cramped. The bikes are pretty much the same size.

IIRC the R6 has a higher seat than the other 600s. But because a lot will depend on your actual body proportions you just need to get your ass in some seats! :beer
It's not engine size, it's ergonomics, the bikes listed just happen to all be 1000's. Also, a high seat height isn't what matters for tall people. It's the seat height to peg relationship. The r6 does have a tall seat height, but it also has really tall pegs.

To the op. How set are you on having a 600ss? And why do you want one? Unless your are specifically looking for a motorcycle to race with there are a lot more practical options for someone our height. If it's an emotional thing I totally understand.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Is that why at 5'5" I feel like I'm stretching on my Duke 2?!?

I love that thing anyways.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
20 years old, most comfortable on an upright bike at 6'5''. Love my 636 for track duty though!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts