Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through a few of these threads and couldn't believe the amount of misinformation! Most of it stems from magazine articles and internet bro science. It's so bad in fact, I feel I need to address it.

"Heavy weight/low reps will get you huge." Bullshit.
"Light weight/high reps will get you cut." Again, bullshit.

What will get you big or cut you up is diet. DIET. Nothing else. What does remain constant is that you should lift HEAVY no matter what your goals. In this way, you'll gain strength, which means adding poundage to your lifts. If you're trying to lean out, this will preserve the muscle you have (provided your diet is in check.)

Another thing, CARBS. Carbs are not the devil. Carbs are essential. These fad low carb diets are bullshit. Keep carbs higher and fats lower on days you lift. Cut carbs lower and up fats on days you don't.

Cardio. When trying to lean out, believe it or not, your weight lifting will be enough. You do not NEED cardio, unless you're part of the small group of people that struggle, and I mean REALLY struggle, to lose fat. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the most popular form of cardio. There have been a number of studies showing how effective it is, but take a second look at those same studies. Were the participants highly trained, olympic level athletes, or regular Joes? If you're trying to get leaner, you should be in a caloric deficit. Your muscles are already border line starving, assuming you actually are lifting. Add cardio, HIIT nonetheless, and you are really taxing your body. Now that being said, I do run, but only because I enjoy it and it's certainly not high intensity. If you really feel the need to throw some cardio into your program, keep it low intensity. Jog for 30 minutes or walk for an hour.

At home programs. P90x, Insanity, whatever the hell else... SCAMS. You do not NEED these! Some will make the arguement that "It really works! Just look at the people on the videos!" Well, yes. Those people are ripped. If I was selling a fitness program, I'd find the fittest people to put into my videos too. It doesn't mean they used my program to get to where they are. There is no such thing as "toning". You'll find most of these programs throw that word around a lot. That should set off alarms! You don't "tone" muscle. Steer clear of these at home programs. Now, if you really CAN'T make it into the gym, these programs are better than nothing. Even then, consider building your own home gym. It can be done rather inexpensively.

Here is a VERY informative website. Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health The guy doesn't try to sell you anything. If you have any questions about his intermittent fasting approach, I'd be happy to help. The informations IS all there, but is separated between entries. I've read most of them and have been able to piece it together.

As far as lifting goes, I'm going to recommend you read Beyond Brawn by Suart McRobert. This is almost a tell all to weight lifting. GREAT READ. Can't stress that enough. Martin (guy who runs the site above) also has an entry about recommended reads. I've yet to start on the list, but I can't wait 'til I do.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. Wish you all the best and, remember, don't believe everything you see/hear/read. This post included! DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I didn't see that thread. Excellent post! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Do check out the link though.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I've been reading through a few of these threads and couldn't believe the amount of misinformation! Most of it stems from magazine articles and internet bro science. It's so bad in fact, I feel I need to address it.

"Heavy weight/low reps will get you huge." Bullshit.
"Light weight/high reps will get you cut." Again, bullshit.

What will get you big or cut you up is diet. DIET. Nothing else. What does remain constant is that you should lift HEAVY no matter what your goals. In this way, you'll gain strength, which means adding poundage to your lifts. If you're trying to lean out, this will preserve the muscle you have (provided your diet is in check.)

Another thing, CARBS. Carbs are not the devil. Carbs are essential. These fad low carb diets are bullshit. Keep carbs higher and fats lower on days you lift. Cut carbs lower and up fats on days you don't.

Cardio. When trying to lean out, believe it or not, your weight lifting will be enough. You do not NEED cardio, unless you're part of the small group of people that struggle, and I mean REALLY struggle, to lose fat. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the most popular form of cardio. There have been a number of studies showing how effective it is, but take a second look at those same studies. Were the participants highly trained, olympic level athletes, or regular Joes? If you're trying to get leaner, you should be in a caloric deficit. Your muscles are already border line starving, assuming you actually are lifting. Add cardio, HIIT nonetheless, and you are really taxing your body. Now that being said, I do run, but only because I enjoy it and it's certainly not high intensity. If you really feel the need to throw some cardio into your program, keep it low intensity. Jog for 30 minutes or walk for an hour.

At home programs. P90x, Insanity, whatever the hell else... SCAMS. You do not NEED these! Some will make the arguement that "It really works! Just look at the people on the videos!" Well, yes. Those people are ripped. If I was selling a fitness program, I'd find the fittest people to put into my videos too. It doesn't mean they used my program to get to where they are. There is no such thing as "toning". You'll find most of these programs throw that word around a lot. That should set off alarms! You don't "tone" muscle. Steer clear of these at home programs. Now, if you really CAN'T make it into the gym, these programs are better than nothing. Even then, consider building your own home gym. It can be done rather inexpensively.

Here is a VERY informative website. Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health The guy doesn't try to sell you anything. If you have any questions about his intermittent fasting approach, I'd be happy to help. The informations IS all there, but is separated between entries. I've read most of them and have been able to piece it together.

As far as lifting goes, I'm going to recommend you read Beyond Brawn by Suart McRobert. This is almost a tell all to weight lifting. GREAT READ. Can't stress that enough. Martin (guy who runs the site above) also has an entry about recommended reads. I've yet to start on the list, but I can't wait 'til I do.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. Wish you all the best and, remember, don't believe everything you see/hear/read. This post included! DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.
All absolute statements are BS, including many of yours. You're basically saying nothing, I hope you realize the irony.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Your comment is vauge so I will disregard it until you explain further
You're 20 years old. You're barely discovering that you didn't know everything like you thought you did like all other teenagers before. When you grow up, you'll develop literacy skills will enable you to comprehend my simple reply.

But then again, you're from texass.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Hey! I'm from Texas and actually am 20 years old (not for long haha).

That being said, I think trolling is absolutism. Different things work for different people. Probably the only thing you're correct about is that you'll lose weight in a caloric deficiency.

A lot of what you say is bro-science from the interweb as well. The simple fact is every body is different, and you have to find what works best for you.

But, there are some good scientific biochemical reasons backing a lot of things, because a lot of things work just for different results than most people are wanting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts