Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was going to change the oil on my cbr f3 that I got about a month ago. I have a manual, and I'm looking through it, I get an oil filter and a filter cap socket... Now I take the plastics off and there is no way to put any kind of oil filter wrench on the filter because the exhaust is too close. In the manual it says just slip the filter cap socket on and use an extension between the pipes, but the pipes are too close to the filter to get the cap on, and the one pipe is blocking room to get an extension to it anyways.

I tried out a strap style filter wrench, and couldnt get it on the filter either. The exhaust I think is stock cept for the slip on. wtf?

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean screwdriver through the side? You use a screwdriver to force the strap wrench over the filter?

·
Banned
245 Posts
im assuming hes saying punch the driver thru the oil filter and use the driver as a "wrench"

have you tried an open ended wrench, or using a u joint to change the angle.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
open ended wrench to do what?

I just dont understand because the manual says just put the filter socket cap on and use an extension between the pipes, but theres no way of doing that. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
the honda shop can get yopu the one that you need. it slips over the top and slides down to lock on the notches on the side ansd has a handle that extends out the side.

·
Banned
245 Posts
never seen the cap your talking about.

some automotive caps have a "bolt" that you can use a open end wrench to turn it if its in a tight spot.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Do what Gixxer told you if you can't get it off with your hands. There's really no need for special sockets/wrenches. To clarify, he means take a screwdriver, and hammer it into the side of the oil filter, then twist by using the screwdriver handle.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about for tightening the filter back on?

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
codenoid said:
What about for tightening the filter back on?
yeah, that is the problem with that method. i wouldn't reccomend doing it unless you can put the new one on. i used one of them grip wrenches with a strap on my R6 and it came off. you should be able to slip it on the filter and get a little bit of leverage. otherwise you are going to have to go to the dealer and get the wrentch. or take the exhaust off.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, I guess if I hand tighten it enough and as long as it isnt leaking it should be ok right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
little oil on the rubber seal and hand tighten. all i've ever done on my '97 f3 and its all she ever needed. comes of with a twist of the wrist when it comes time to change.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Hmm, a import size filter wrench worked on my F3... It has the three gripping teeth that tighten as you turn it.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
use the screw driver for removal and like they said hand tighten it 3/4 turn w/oil on the o ring next one wont be as hard to remove

·
Ducatista
1,812 Posts
dennisred69 said:
use the screw driver for removal and like they said hand tighten it 3/4 turn w/oil on the o ring next one wont be as hard to remove

What he said...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts