Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an easy way to prop up the front of my bike so i can take off the wheel to have it painted? I have an F2... if it matters, and I don't want to waste my money to get the front fork stand. Do i need to take off the header and exhaust to get something under the engine block or is there any easier way. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have never taken off a wheel with out a front and rear stand. Sometime if you only use one it makes the bike unstable and it could fall over. I would suggest taking everything off of your bike before you atempt it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
First off, stands are a great tool to have and I would recommend you get some if you have the money. If not that's cool too. What I did was I took a couple of tie downs and tied one end to the handlebars/clipons and then pull it over something strong and high (I used the rafters when I used to work for a shop) and tighten up the tie downs/strap until it lifted the front end up. Easy and cheap if you have access to the items i mentioned.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... I heard that you will need both front and rear stands and I don't feel like spending that much money. I also heard of the way to use the rafters. I think that I am going to have to try that this weekend if I can't find an easier way to do it. Thanks so far... any other ideas???

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Devin, is that an F2 or F3 and if so, where did you put the jack... mine didn't fit unless I took the headers off (not enough room on the right side under the engine). I am considering taking them off becuase I am giong to have to soon take off my rear tire and the side stand eventually.

·
Registered
912 Posts
one word Photoshop

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
do you have a garage or some building w/ rafter's that could hold 400lbs?

just put a noose around the upper triples and hold it up w/ that......

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I have a garage, and it was just built a couple years ago so it should be sturdy, but i still don't know if it could hold 400 lbs. I have the tie downs and everything, and I probably will end up trying it this weekedn, but I am still trying to find out if there is an easier way that won't cost much money.

·
Banned
293 Posts
I jus jacked it up beside the header man. I dunno ..Didnt seem to have a problem ...The bike thats jacked up is an F2. Heres another pictures sence its so photoshopped

dont mind the tank in the way

·
Registered
912 Posts
ok maybe not

·
Registered
46 Posts
ocbasbalburg said:
I don't want to waste my money to get the front fork stand.
Yea a front fork stand would be a real waste of money :lame but I have money to make it look cool painting the front tire. :spank

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my bike after it was already customized. The wheels are purple with a polished lip, so I am painted them black and keeping the lip polished. I bought the bike becuase it was in perfect shape and it was a good price and I was planning on doing some original stuff to my bike anyways. I am having the whole thing painted this winter and I wanted to get a jump start on some of the stuff I can do myself. Paint for the wheels cost my about 5 bucks a wheel. A front and rear stand will cost at least $130. And I will only use them once a year, if that. So waste of money for me??? yes, but maybe not to you

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
back to my question, anyone have any pics of their bike hanging from the rafters. I tried last night, but I only used 1 tie down becuase I only had one pully crank thing. It worked, but the bike swung back and forth a little. I am thinking I can put a block of wood underneath the bike to keep it from swinging, but I just wanted to see what everyone else did. Thanks

·
Void where prohibited
248 Posts
Well, I have a rear stand, so the back was pretty stable. I jacked the bike up on the right side, pivoting on the side stand as shown above. Then I put a jackstand under the frame horn on the side, and jacked up the other side to match. I also have 2 jacks, BTW.

It was completely stable for when I took the forks off to upgrade and get a new tire.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I have I beams in the gurage so I just stap the front up and the bike is in the air no way for it to fall.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ocbasbalburg said:
back to my question, anyone have any pics of their bike hanging from the rafters. I tried last night, but I only used 1 tie down becuase I only had one pully crank thing. It worked, but the bike swung back and forth a little. I am thinking I can put a block of wood underneath the bike to keep it from swinging, but I just wanted to see what everyone else did. Thanks
Get 2 rachet straps...it will be more stable(spread them out like a 'y' at the hang point). Put one on each side of the triple and raise it up. You don't need it that high off the ground.

If the bike is gonna hang on this for very long(don't know how long it's gonna take to paint it)....block up the bottom of the forks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I only have one ratchet strap. So I am thinking of making a Y from two beams, then the ratchet strap, then another Y to connect to the triple tree, then put something under the exhaust to keep it from swinging

·
Registered
522 Posts
Devin, where did you get that license plate holder on your CBR? that thing is Hot!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts