Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have noticed it is a lot easier to stay on the throttle through an open turn that i can see all the way through as i enter it, compared to a turn that the sight line is blocked by a hillside. is it just comfort and confidence that will have to be developed to be able to throttle thru the blind turns?

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Nawww. That is just your survival instinct kicking in... If you cant see through the corner, take it slow.. Anything could be waiting around that bend that you cant see.
Deer, stalled car, cop... and my personal favorite, (that almost killed me last year), an washout from a rain storm that send dirt across the road.

Keep it slow around a blind corner, or make sure you medical insurance is paid up.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Do not ride a blind turn at a speed exceeding your line of sight stopping distance. Not if you aspire one day to join the ranks of old riders.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here are a couple of tips for blind turns:

First, use a late entry and late apex. Let's say it's a left, and the canyon wall rises sharply from the left shoulder. Stay wide--in the right third of your lane--and delay turn-in as long as possible. That way you get the best view possible through the turn when you commit to a line. It may still not be a great view, but it's better than it would be otherwise. When you do turn in, your late entry will naturally set up up for a late apex. So if the turn is tighter than you expected, you'll have extra room on your right at the exit to prevent an embarassing off-road excursion.

Second, slow down early. Get all your braking done while the motorcycle is still going straight--before you reach your late turn-in point. Then as the turn opens up you can match your throttle roll-on to visibility you have through the turn. If you see that the turn tightens up, you're in good shape because you can make a steering correction if you have to. OTOH, if you're braking deep into the turn and see that it tightens up before you've scrubbed off speed, you may not be able to correct your line.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Avoid staying wide late in right handed canyon turns. Yes, this affords the best view around the inside of the turn, but puts you in a vulnerable lane position for oncomming traffic crossing the dy.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Eyespy said:
Avoid staying wide late in right handed canyon turns. Yes, this affords the best view around the inside of the turn, but puts you in a vulnerable lane position for oncomming traffic crossing the dy.
+1...definitly good advice. Lost count the numbers time i've gone through a blind corner and a car, truck or another bike is across the DY. If i hadn't slowed down in those turns before hand i wouldn't have been able to react.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Not being able to see through the turn slows me down more than anything. I always imagine an RV making a U-turn across the whole road just beyond where I can see (it actually happened once).

·
Registered
791 Posts
RayOSV said:
Not being able to see through the turn slows me down more than anything. I always imagine an RV making a U-turn across the whole road just beyond where I can see (it actually happened once).
thats almost funny. I dont see why you guys dont take blind curves on a bike jsut like you take a blind curve in a car. Slow down, and prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
always be cautious when taking any blind turns, some thing could be in the road or an animal may run out in front of you, it's happend to me before.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
Blind turns are great, especially when theres a car half in your lane coming at ya. Had this happen to me a few days a ago, needless to say i wasn't speeding and never do on blind turns. Staying at right about the speed limit or even a little under on blind turns works for me. Just stay focused throughout the turn, no matter what.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
One common sense thing people seem to forget is to slow down. Some turns were not meant to be taken above a certain speed.

·
Registered
488 Posts
people assume that if it can be taken in a car at 35mph, then you MUST be able to take it on the bike at 75mph.. Common error that many times ends in some broken bones, lost life, and worse yet... lost bike.. lol..slow down around the blind turns.. ya wanna drop a knee, do it on the track..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts