Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my first ride on a true-blue racebike tonight. I borrowed said bike from a co-worker and took it for a spin in the parking lot. WOW. I didn't realize it was possible to wheelie clear into 4th gear, but apparently it is. I know, an awfully squid-ly thing to do, but luckily I nor the bike was damaged in any way. Yes, I had FULL gear on and I was simply applying a touch too much throttle. Brian (the owner) was laughing hysterically during this little exercise in terror...when it was over, I laughed too, albeit with shaky knees and poor bladder control (haha!). The bike was a Gixxer1000 with some different gearing (wondered why I had to shift so much), and a slightly shorter swingarm than stock (maybe that explains it!).

What have I learned, dear reader? NOT to play grab-ass with a no-shit bike, despite my years of experience riding. Beginners' error, I guess. No, I wasn't intentionally trying to wheelie, least of all in a parking lot where there were lots of very pricey autos around.

The kicker? Brian didn't tell me it was a racebike until AFTER I was through embarrassing myself. The bike was simply decked out in its street skins.

Silly me, ah well.....why is it I want to do that again? Arrrgghh!!

*Anti-flame suit ON!!*

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why's that, man? Because I made an error in judgement? At least I can laugh about and I'm not busted up, you know?

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
that's funny...so out of curiosity, what ws the pucker factor on that ride? 10 out of 10? I would LOVE to ride a serious race bike...maybe in the next year or so...

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
silent_R1 said:
that's funny...so out of curiosity, what ws the pucker factor on that ride? 10 out of 10? I would LOVE to ride a serious race bike...maybe in the next year or so...
Yeah, 10 out of 10 sounds 'bout right!! I still can't figure out just what in the hell I was doing wrong. Oh wait, I know!! Being a dipshit by riding a bike that was a tad out of my league like I knew what the hell I was doing!! Ah well....glad you all got a laugh out of it, though.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Chauncey said:
Took my first ride on a true-blue racebike tonight.
Sorry to break your heart, but a GSX-R1000 street bike is not a "true-blue" race bike, it's not anywhere close. I'm not saying the bike wasn't fast, but it takes more than a wheelie in 4th gear to make a race bike. :confused:

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still, even if it wasn't a racer, it sure as shit felt like one :eek: to a noob like me!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Well, I'm just glad your ok. Funny story tho. I can just imagine the look on your face :eek: and your wet boxers! :lol I prolly would of done the same!!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
so a gixxer1k isnt a race bike? why do they say that that these bikes can be pretty much entered into races off the showroom floor? huh fireboy? :confused:

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
well in chauncey's defense, which guy was it took a bone stock R1 off the showroom floor (complete w/mud flap) and qualified for one of the AMA races a couple of months back? I seem to recall reading that w/each race they have done some upgrades to it. like the next race, it got a full system, the following it got suspension, etc...IIRC, the guy not only qualified w/it bone stock, but placed 13th in the overall finish...I can see where the Gix would've felt like a "true" race bike...

·
Registered
109 Posts
silent_R1 said:
well in chauncey's defense, which guy was it took a bone stock R1 off the showroom floor (complete w/mud flap) and qualified for one of the AMA races a couple of months back? I seem to recall reading that w/each race they have done some upgrades to it. like the next race, it got a full system, the following it got suspension, etc...IIRC, the guy not only qualified w/it bone stock, but placed 13th in the overall finish...I can see where the Gix would've felt like a "true" race bike...

I believe the guy actually finished in 11th and it did have 1 modification, a rear shock. However, he was racing with the rear fender/mud flap/license plate holder still on! Was truly amazing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
12RPilot said:
When I set down a second gear power wheelie on my ZX-10R I'm going about 120 mph. I can't imagine what speed a fourth gear power wheelie is. 150?
Yeah, and he did it in a parking lot.

Sure. Take your :bs elsewhere.

·
Registered
533 Posts
4th gear power wheelies in a parking lot?

shorter swingarm?

in a parking lot wondering why you had to shift so much?

i have a hard time believing this story

·
Registered
29 Posts
Me thinks.......that was Larry Pegram. That mud flap was a classic, for sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts