Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK So tomorrow I'm going to ride about 300 miles down to central FL to visit a friend... it's going to be raining some of the way I'm sure (It's FL!). Does anyone have any good tips? I am a little worried about the bike mechanically so I think I might take every tool I own haha. Just strap a toolbox on the back. This seem like maybe a bad idea? My other idea was to put anything I want to carry in a backpack, and strapping IT to the bike... or if I decide to travel light, I'll just use my cargo net and put stuff under there. Whaddaya think??

·
Registered
252 Posts
With the SV's engine configuration the front cylinder head can encounter some problems due from water in very heavy rains. I rode to Myrtle Beach in a downpour most of the way and felt her sputter a few times along the trip. Never caused me to stop but I have heard of water affecting the front spark plug. I've ridden in normal rain and never had an issue. They do make SV front fender extenders to deflect some of the kick off from the front tire.

I would go the backpack route or get a tank/saddle bag. The biggest things are probably take good rain gear (riding soaked through is not fun) and watch the wet road conditions. Tool wise and pre trip, find out what tools you need instead of taking every one you own. The SV doesn’t need a large number of tools to be worked on. Make sure you have a fully charged cell phone to use as well.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm actually not taking the SV for two reasons - One is that my Ninja 250 is more comfortable on long rides, and two is I am having some problems with my SV and I fear if I ride it a long distance, I may encounter some problems. I rode the ninja about 80 miles straight the other night and it performed perfectly, so hopefully this will be the case tomorrow.

I don't have any rain gear really. I mean I suppose I could wear something that's made for rain, but then I won't have any protection if I go down (I'm not wearing rain gear OVER my leather jacket... not in FL, not going to happen).

I see what you're saying about the tools... I'll see if my friend is back from his trip and I can borrow his tank bag.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts