Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do our bikes take an 1157 type bulb? The manual (owner's and shop) simply lists a 12V/5W bulb.

My bulb recently burnt out it looks like (at least, one filament did), it's only on during braking now. A friend of mine has a couple of 1157 LED bulbs he's willing to give me so I'm trying to figure out whether they'd fit.

-Q

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fraggle1 said:
I haven't tried an LED, but a standard 1157 fits just fine.
Excellent, thank you kindly for the info. I don't know why that wasn't listed in either of the manuals.

Cheers,
-Q

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ya, those LED replacement bulbs generally suck. Not as bright and really not as bright from an angle.

I think you can figure the value of them if your friend is willing to just give them to you. :lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sir Heavy FZ6 said:
Ya, those LED replacement bulbs generally suck. Not as bright and really not as bright from an angle.

I think you can figure the value of them if your friend is willing to just give them to you. :lol
Well, my friend is willing to give them to me because the ones he originally bought had 30 LEDs in them, and that didn't fit into the taillight housing on his Kawi Z7RS. He ended up getting 24 LED bulbs and those fit fine. The ones he's got are apparently much much brighter than stockers. I'll test them out and see I guess. I'll make sure to report back on them =)

-Q

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
qualdoth said:
Well, my friend is willing to give them to me because the ones he originally bought had 30 LEDs in them, and that didn't fit into the taillight housing on his Kawi Z7RS. He ended up getting 24 LED bulbs and those fit fine. The ones he's got are apparently much much brighter than stockers. I'll test them out and see I guess. I'll make sure to report back on them =)

-Q
Good luck, I hope they work for you. Free stuff is always the best, specially when it works as hoped.

Be sure to check the brightness from an angle as well as straight behind.

Let us know!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Standard bulb...my tail light burnt out two weeks ago. Grabbed the bulb from my 87 Yamaha TZR250 ;)

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
I bought a clear alternatives tail light lens which came with an LED bulb, that was really bright and value for money, now I've got bubmrtn's Intergrated taillight in there, which is very bright and very cool!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An update for you all.

I picked up a bunch of bulbs from my friend last night. Two bulbs with 12 LEDs each, and two with 30 LEDs each.

The 30 LED bulb unfortunately didn't fit, the bulb is wider than the opening in the bracket the bulb socket screws into. I may try to fit this in later by removing the taillight lens and doing it that way. We shall see. This bulb is really bright.

The 12 LED bulb fit just fine. I'd say performance wise, it's very similar to how bright the stock bulb is, but with obviously a lower power draw. This bulb uses red LEDs so I'm guessing it'd be even brighter with a clear taillight.

My buddy is using a 24 LED bulb on his ride and it's definitely bright! I think we'll see if we can fit one of those 30s in my gf's GS500 this weekend :D

-Q

1 - 11 of 11 Posts