• Backpack

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a backpack to commute to work. However, I find it rather cumbersome to transport everything, e.g. change of clothes, paper notebook, computer notebook, shoes, financial AND graph. calculator, etc. to school and work. I've been thinking about getting a tank and/or tail bag. I have a tail net I use occasionally esp. for long tours, but I wouldn't put calculators or textbooks in it.

What is everybody else using? Pictures, prices and opinions please!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I use an old Marsee magnetic, expandable tank bag. It's fairly small, but holds everything I need. It expands to about double its size and expanded will hold a change of clothes plus all the crap that I carry around normally in small mode (wallet, cell phone, water, hat, snack, tire plug kit plus CO2, house keys, maps, etc.). Sounds like you might need one of the larger ones, though.

·
Squidly McSquidster
559 Posts
i got an icon tank bag that rocks but wouldnt mind a saddlebag

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I use an oakley backpack that I've had for a couple of years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've got a Swiss Gear laptop bag that I can fit all my work junk in. It can also fit a pair of dress shoes. A full change of clothes would be a stretch and they'd probably end up more wrinkled than they get under my gear. The laptop is a heavy pig and hot on my back. However, I think it rides smoother on my back than strapped to the bike - especially with the crappy roads up here.

If I could only figure out how not to have to bring the laptop home...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Backpack and pockets. You wouldn't believe how much crap you can fit in your pockets if you really try. I'll throw stuff under my Targa cover, too. If I'm getting some food, I just jam it between my windscreen and tach.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I use a cargo net to strap my bike cover to my seat and a backpack to carry my lunch and small stuff.

Any excess is left at work....when I get to work I load up my backpack and use it all day.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a tank bag that I use most of the time. When I have to carry my laptop, I put it in a backpack and either wear it, or strap it to my tail with a mesh bungee type thing.

For when I need to carry more stuff than fits in my tankbag, and am not carrying my laptop, I put everything in a tailpack.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i use a back pack. but i woulnds mind haveing a tank bag because wearing the backpack to and from work and school can get rather uncomfortable.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I use a backpack to carry all my stuff, but when it's really loaded down (laptop, books, clothes, etc..) I put all the stuff in the backpack then put the backpack on the seat with my seat net. Seems to work really well as long as the bag is packed right.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
for your application, i'd say b***** back pack. it'd be hard to get enough cushioning for the laptop on a tank bag. and it would get less shock on your back.......unless you fall, of course........

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just can't see putting saddle bags on my bike or even a tank bag for that matter so I just use an Alpinestars backpack. The one I bought was specifically intended for carrying a laptop and actually has quite a bit of room. It was roughly $80. I'm attaching a picture of it, although the one I have is basically the opposite as far as the color scheme goes.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
I use all the above when on a road trip. Got the Tour Master "Sport" Saddle/Tail bag set ($160.00 for tail and saddle from Ride gear with coupon) and I have a JR tank bag for little shit on short rides. For the backpak, I have a European manufacture (can't recall the name right now) that is arched away from my back to keep it from getting hot and has provisions for the camelbak water/fluid resovior that I use with it. If I am carrying my laptop, I use my Tagus Laptop bag. Only laptop bag I have found that will fit my 17" screen laptop in it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
On Speed Triple... Factory rack, smallish frame that extends back from pillon seat. On this is a single compartment Black Diamond frameless rucksac held by a flat web strap under the seat and over the pack's top flap so the pack can be opened and closed without removing anything. It's held at the back by a short length of black parachute cord tied between the pack's waistbelt loops extended under the cargo frame.

This unit stays on the bike and carries the mail, water bottle, gum, fags and whatever. It'll expand enough to hold a gallon of milk and a six pack.

For more, I picked up a set of Oxford Panniers. Spot-on proper British road-bike gear. Love 'em.

See da pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
A quick PS to that last post... The panniers drag drops top speed from 144 to 137. The weight has little to no effect on handling. Plenty of clearance for higher pipes too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use saddlebags and a tank bag but if I had to give one up, I'd keep the saddlebags. They're not in the way, have no chance of scratching my tank, and give me more room to put stuff like rain gear, etc. They're better than a tailbag because it allows my wife to ride with me when she wants and I don't have to remove anything.

If I carry a laptop, it's in a backpack - no question there.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts