Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for a good tail bag, but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

I want one that is pretty roomy but not enormous.
Preferably attaches with straps and not bungee cords
Holds its shape when empty
Comes with a shoulder strap for carry around when not on the bike

I don't have passenger pegs so I have fewer places to attach things to the back seat.

Does anyone have one they really like they can recommend?

I really like this one, except it attaches with bungee cords:

Firstgear Silverstone Tail Bag - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Firstgear Silverstone Tail Bag
Heavy-duty 1680D nylon and 1200D polyester two-tone fabric and carbon fiber-look panels with PVC coating and UV protection
Easy-view grey interior lining
Three outer zippered pockets and one inside soft pocket with removable dividers
Flannelette sidewalls of inside bag used for camera or helmet storage
Comfortable soft-grip handle for convenient carrying
Reflective piping and reflective Firstgear® logo
Heavy-duty easy-pull zippers
Adjustable shoulder strap, bungee cords and black rain cover included

Compressed: 15"L x 14"W x 10"H / 2,100 CI
Expanded: 15"L x 14"W x 13½:"H / 2,830 CI

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
The cortech sport tailbag HAS bungees, but also can be connected by a thing that goes under the rear seat, or it has four clicky connector things to hook it up with straps. They are actually made to attach it to the saddlebags as a set, but I have used them with just straps before.

Not as tall as the one above, but comes with a shoulder strap. It holds shape well, is expandable width-wise. Can't hold a helmet, which is my only real complaint against it.

I don't have passenger pegs, either... but i ALWAYS find something to bungee it to. Used it on like 4 bikes now. The back bungees just go around the teailsection behind the license plate and I hook them to each other. Then the front bungees I just clip to whatever. Used it that way on SEVERAL 500+ mile days and it never so much as budges. Never a scratch on my paint from it either.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a set of Cortech saddlebags and a tailbag that I borrowed to see if it would work, but I can't figure out a reliable way to secure the saddlebags. The existing straps are too short. The tailbag attaches ok, but I don't like it very much and don't like the bungees. I guess if I have to settle for bungees I will. But I won't like it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
zip ties? no kidding, my saddlebags are held on with the velcro straps under my seat, BUT my tail bag is completely held on with zip ties. never sees more than ~ 5 lbs of load but so far so good. i trust them more than bungee cords, but then again i used to strap my backpack to the rear with bungee cords.....

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's also RKA, a friend told me about today. They are supposed to be at the International Motorcycle Show in Daytona next week, so I will check them out when I go next weekend. RKARearseat bag Page

I was just curious what people here are using.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zip ties? no kidding, my saddlebags are held on with the velcro straps under my seat, BUT my tail bag is completely held on with zip ties. never sees more than ~ 5 lbs of load but so far so good. i trust them more than bungee cords, but then again i used to strap my backpack to the rear with bungee cords.....

:lol

I want to be able to take it off and walk around with it, when I go places. That would be a PITA with zip ties.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I have a set of Cortech saddlebags and a tailbag that I borrowed to see if it would work, but I can't figure out a reliable way to secure the saddlebags. The existing straps are too short. The tailbag attaches ok, but I don't like it very much and don't like the bungees. I guess if I have to settle for bungees I will. But I won't like it.
You don't like the tailbag itself, or the way it attaches?

The little clicky buckles are easy to find mates for. I think even walmart sells the nylon webbing and the buckles that work with those bags. So you can make longer straps to connect wherever you want them to.

That's how I made my tank bag work on the Triumph. Stupid plastic tank....

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really like the bag, or the way it attaches. If I have to have bungees, I at least want one that looks better. I think I don't like it because it's black, and I have become pretty fond of the silver one above.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to Daytona today and walked through all the vendor tents outside the speedway. I found the Firstgear bag above, Yamaha had the hardcover Axio tailbags, one tent had Givi bags which were really nice and very similar to the Firstgear. But they were a lot b***** than I thought. They did have a velcro strap that would go under the seat as well as bungee cords, so that was nice. Held had a some nice bags too.

In the end, I decided to get one from Twisted Throttle, since I didn't really want a big bag at this point.

Retails for $89, straps under the seat, doubles as a tank bag, reflective piping, two side pockets, has a liner bag to make it waterproof (or at least resistant) on the inside.

It fits really well, and seems pretty secure. I'll test it tomorrow on the way to work to see how it does.

TwistedThrottle.com : Bags-Connection Reverse Tankbag and Tail Bag - BCK.HTA.00.052.100

A picture from Twisted Throttle's site:

I will probably also get the Firstgear bag eventually, for when I want more room.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Needless to say; but my tail section is a bit larger than yours and I use the Cortech sport tail bag. I just secure it using the bungies under the rear seat so it comes off as one unit (seat and bag). I used to secure it using the frakenstein bolts on the tail section and grab bar but got tired of having to remove the grab bar everytime I wanted to use the cowling. I would imagine the Cortech would be a little large for your GSXR, the bag you went with looks good!

The old way:

The new way:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts