Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone I work with backed into my car. The good part is there is almost no visible damage. the bad part is there is SOME visible damage, most of it just wiped off. There are two little knots/bubbles/creases on the front bumper now.

I am not sure what to do. I don't want to be "that guy" and raise a fuss about it so we just said it would be easier if I go get an estimate and he pays me cash for the fix. I think it can be fixed for $200. He hit my parked car, my car is new to me, 2008 and less than 30K miles. One owner before me, perfect in every way. I just feel bad in general but I know also he is at fault. If it was my older mustang I would have been like "mehh dont worry about it" as it was starting to have paint failure anyway but this a $15K car that I am still paying on.

also I don't really want to go to the cheapest place in town and have it done badly or not blended well. :/

This guy isn't my boss but he is my superior on the Vol. Fire Dept / rescue squad.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Look, I love my little Mazda3. It was perfect until someone dented the door. I just told them not to worry about it. It's a car, you drive it, its going to get battle scars. Is a scratch/slight fuckup in the bumper REALLY that big of a deal? In the end, we still drive Japanese economy cars. Yours is a little more on the sporty side but still... I personally would tell him not to worry about it. I know its your pride and joy but in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to be worth anything in 10 years anyway. But sounds like you really want it fixed. I'd get an estimate and see how much it would be. If its cheap enough, then roll with it. If it's absurdly expensive for how small the area is, then I'd leave it. There are more important things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sorry but if I bought my car dent free, it stays that way. I got my wife a new 300 and she got rear ended. Small dent but I had that fixed because I am one of those neat freaks when it comes to vehicles. now my truck that I take off roading, I expect it to get scratches so I don't really mind as long as the paint is still on the metal.

Op dot be afraid of him, he did the damage he needs to fix it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
It's an Eclipse, a 5 year old Eclipse... Who cares?

·
Registered
269 Posts
A bit melodramatic with the title there, weren't you? Anyway, it doesn't matter that it's an economy Japanese car and other people wouldn't bother. It's your car that you put money into and the damage wasn't your fault. Get a written estimate and give it to your coworker. He agreed to pay anyway, so you don't have to worry about being "that guy".

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Look, I love my little Mazda3. It was perfect until someone dented the door. I just told them not to worry about it. It's a car, you drive it, its going to get battle scars. Is a scratch/slight fuckup in the bumper REALLY that big of a deal? In the end, we still drive Japanese economy cars. Yours is a little more on the sporty side but still... I personally would tell him not to worry about it. I know its your pride and joy but in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to be worth anything in 10 years anyway. But sounds like you really want it fixed. I'd get an estimate and see how much it would be. If its cheap enough, then roll with it. If it's absurdly expensive for how small the area is, then I'd leave it. There are more important things.
Wrong.

Well, right about your Mazda or that Eclipse, they won't be worth shit in 10 years, but my Tacoma is still worth 15k+ and it's 7 1/2 years old. That's in great shape. In it's current shape, I could probably still get 10k, but I don't plan on ever selling it so doesn't matter to me that my front end is fucked up and I have a huge dent in the rear quarter panel. I also use my truck, like a truck, so I expect dents and scratches.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
He damaged it, he fixes it. It sounds like the guy has agreed to fix it too, so what's the problem?

Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
As you may know by now any real damage is a lot more than 200 bucks to fix. Any damage to a bumper cover is about 1000 to fix because nobody messes with them. The cover is replaced and refinished.

I say ignore anyone who says it's an Eclipse, don't bother. It's your car, and this guy's carelessness should not diminish the value of your property. Maybe in a beater you let it slide, but not on a nice car like that.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
My bad yall. Didn't realize a Tahoe was a monster truck.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My stuff stays in the order that I intend it.

If someone hit my 1996 XJR, they'll pay every dime.

It gets fixed properly.

Get the estimate, ask for the cash, get the work done.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I'd get it fixed, or at least looked at, if I were you.

Related personal experience:

I had a guy idle into me while stuck in a comeplete-stop traffic jam on the interstate (said he was distracted by his dog and took his foot off the brake). It was such a light touch, I almost wasn't sure it happened. He was in a company vehicle, so gave me his info and DL number and said he'd talk to his boss about whether the co insurance would have it fixed. His boss refused, so the guy had to pay out of his pocket.

I thought it would be a quick fix to repair the finish on the paint (my truck was only about 6 months old at the time), but it ended up that some bracket or something behind the bumper was tweaked and they replaced that and the entire painted bumper. Cost the guy $1000. I felt bad for him, but I was really glad I had the truck checked out and fixed. You could not tell by looking at it what damage was really done.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wrong.

Well, right about your Mazda or that Eclipse, they won't be worth shit in 10 years, but my Tacoma is still worth 15k+ and it's 7 1/2 years old. That's in great shape. In it's current shape, I could probably still get 10k, but I don't plan on ever selling it so doesn't matter to me that my front end is fucked up and I have a huge dent in the rear quarter panel. I also use my truck, like a truck, so I expect dents and scratches.
I was talking about our cars lol. I know some cars hold value. Back to the topic, get it looked at. If it was over $250 I'd feel bad. People make mistakes, its whatevs. But you may think differently. He fucked up, if you want it fixed and he agreed to pay, I don't see the problem. Go somewhere somewhat reputable. So not Maaco.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I'd get it fixed, or at least looked at, if I were you.

Related personal experience:

I had a guy idle into me while stuck in a comeplete-stop traffic jam on the interstate (said he was distracted by his dog and took his foot off the brake). It was such a light touch, I almost wasn't sure it happened. He was in a company vehicle, so gave me his info and DL number and said he'd talk to his boss about whether the co insurance would have it fixed. His boss refused, so the guy had to pay out of his pocket.

I thought it would be a quick fix to repair the finish on the paint (my truck was only about 6 months old at the time), but it ended up that some bracket or something behind the bumper was tweaked and they replaced that and the entire painted bumper. Cost the guy $1000. I felt bad for him, but I was really glad I had the truck checked out and fixed. You could not tell by looking at it what damage was really done.
I'll tell you a secret Tammy:
If you can't tell the bumper moved, it probably didn't move. That shop took the guy who hit you for a ride and a half.

oh, and people with tacomas are delusional. no friggin 1/4 ton truck is worth as much as those guys claim they are worth. It's ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I don't think so, but you might be right. I went to the dealer where I just bought the truck. Though once they pointed it out to me, I could see it. And I got to keep all the pieces they replaced, since it wasn't an insurance job, and it looked legit to me.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
If you could see it, then that is a different story.

·
Registered
848 Posts
in m younger days, i'd rake the person over the coals. now that I'm older with kids, so much crap gets bent, broken, banged up that i've gotten much more relaxed about stuff. it's a car and not my child. they come and go. can always get another. My ride is still in great shape, but don't expect it to last since too many people don't care about other people's shit to respect it. if i REALLY care about my vehicles, i park away from everyone or at least try to. even then, that doesn't always work out as my wife's minivan shows...

just like my bike, it's brand new and i expect the paint to scratched up just by riding it. roads around here are not the best when they chipseal em. heck, my 750 had a good 8 inch scratch in the lower fairing that i have no idea how it got there except from a rock kicked up?

to the OP, totally your call... how important is it for your car to be "perfect"? if it means everything, rake em. if not, do't bother with the hassle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts