Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be heading down to my local Toyota dealer to pick up a 04' DoubleCab but couldnt' decide what drivetrain to go with. The 4x2 comes with the rear locking differential, but the 4x4 is just that..... a 4x4. The 4x2 is about $22k for everything and the 4x4 is about $27k for everything. Can you off-road nuts tell me if it's worth getting the 4x2? I'm mostly going to be using it for tranportation getting to the track, packing my surf boards, and snowboards on the mountain. I do plan to do some MINOR off-roading, and ofcourse the snowy mountains would probably call for a 4x4, but for a $4.5k difference in price, do you guys think I can get by with just the 4x2 w/ locking differential? Please enlighten... this is my first truck so please bear with me. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I looked at the Tacoma's and after driving the Tunda I couldn't go back. I got a 2001 TRD 4X4 Tunda and Love it. I live in the country and use it a ton. From hauling my bike, a trailer, a boat, to dragging out a friend from the mud, its awesome. The V8 power won me over the V6. I've needed it many times from snow to mud. :) I bought used but paid less and its been a great truck.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
would you ever use the 4x4?

i agree, pony up and get the tundra (4x2)......:nice

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a 91' Toy 4x4 and I love it. I will never sell it either. They are right, if you don't plan on using the 4x4, don't pay extra for it. The "prerunner" is actually designed for fast off-roading. Not rock crawling or mudding. THey are used to scout race courses for races like the Baja 1000. However, you said you plan on MINOR off-roading. While the locking diff is a plus, you can still loose traction to both rear wheels, than what? Besides, if you off-road with it, you WILL get the bug and wish you had full 4X4. Think about that. The extra $ is worth it imo. Toyota's are a lot tougher than a lot of other trucks out there. I have seen some go more places than even the Jeep. And diffently full size trucks. The japs designed the 4x4 with off road use in mind.
Any more questions PM me. I have lots of websites and other info for Toy's.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts