Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you leave your ful synthetic in? I just filled my mazda6 with this and plan to go 10k. Do you think I am nut? I drive 50/50 hwy city. quite a few stop and go trips since traffic is hell in Seattle.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
I wouldn't leave a 5w30 in 5,000 miles let alone 10,000 but hey, It ain't my car :)

What kind of car is it anyway?? I know all the honda's sense around 97' have recommended 5w30. Just wondering.

Edit: Opps, yea actually paid attention when I read this time. Mazda hehehe.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Just get a couple oil analyses done along the way, reassurance from some guys on the internet isn't going to tell you anything useful.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
I'll go 3000 miles at the most...I've heard many people tell me it's fine to go 5000-7500, but I'm a skeptic...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Normal BMW oil changes (for the newer ones anyways) are at 15,000+/- mile intervals using BMW-branded or Mobile 1 oil. My 2001 330i doesn't have any problems......so far. It's up to over 80,000 miles and still going like the day I got it.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
i definately wouldnt go that far on that pennzoil synthetic. i work at a lube center, and as far as gasoline engines go, we never recommend going past 3000 miles with any oil, be it synthetic or conventional, unless were putting in Royal Purple or Amsoil.

even on BMW's which we suggest castrol syntec for, we still recommend 3000 mile intervals.

bottom line though, if you havent decided on what oil you're gonna put in, Royal Purple is the best thing you can do for your car as far as oil goes. ive researched extensively, and had first hand knowledge of the intricacies of motor lubricants and RP has no comparison. any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WISPER said:
I wouldn't leave a 5w30 in 5,000 miles let alone 10,000 but hey, It ain't my car :)

What kind of car is it anyway?? I know all the honda's sense around 97' have recommended 5w30. Just wondering.

Edit: Opps, yea actually paid attention when I read this time. Mazda hehehe.
I am using 5w-20. Its the rockin v6 manual.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The manual recommends every 7500 miles. The mazda6 comes stock with syn/blend oil. So I figure full synthetic must be good for a couple of more thousand.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
There is usually a severe service recommendation if you drive in the city a lot. On my 'yota it's 10k normal, 5k severe.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
in the end, it is your car and what you do with it is your business, but there are reasons why we only warranty our oil changes (cept RP and Amsoil) to 3000 miles, no matter what the make/model of vehicle or oil type.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
customer testimonials, independent literature on various products, test results, first-hand experience with RP-protected parts vs. non-RP protected parts, racer and non-competitive testimonials...

ive been vehemently trying to find another product that performs as well as RP, and i havent. this is my livelihood so i take it upon myself to know all i can about our products.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Kawa-ZX9 said:
The manual recommends every 7500 miles. The mazda6 comes stock with syn/blend oil. So I figure full synthetic must be good for a couple of more thousand.
Not to bash you or the car companys, but in reference to looking at the manuel......you Do realize that the car companys are there to sell you a car, and as often as they can. I'm not saying that their trying to damage their own vehicles but running a 5w20 any anything seems pretty extreme. Especially for extended millage, under "extreme driving conditions", which, if you look at there definition, we ALL drive in "etreme driving conditions" like 75% of the time or more.
Just my thoughts on the matter, I'm about as parinoid as they come though :) , and trust car company/dealerships/dealers about as far away as I can spit on'em

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
So Wisper do you think the 3k mile interval idea came from independent, concerned philanthropists who want nothing to do with your money?

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
brentsR6 said:
in the end, it is your car and what you do with it is your business, but there are reasons why we only warranty our oil changes (cept RP and Amsoil) to 3000 miles, no matter what the make/model of vehicle or oil type.
Yeah, and that would be to increase the monthly gross. The premuim margin on the expensive stuff already takes care of that.

·
Registered
944 Posts
nig said:
So Wisper do you think the 3k mile interval idea came from independent, concerned philanthropists who want nothing to do with your money?
:lao
In my experience theres no such thing. My bet would be Exxon, Mobil, or possible a combo supersized order of every single oil company in the world.

What I do know is friction is bad.....usually, and the longer your oil is in your running engine, or even just exposed to the air, the less well it reduces friction. I want to see a test of 5w20 taken out of an engine driven regularly after 10k+. If its still lubricating half as well after that long I'll start not changing my oil every 5k or so. :)

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
When is the last time oyu heard of an oil-related engine failure? The truth is you could run a modern engine all year without any oil and not get it to break or even lose power. Cold starts change that, as does dirt in the environment, but the required oil keeps getting thinner for a reason, it's less neccessary for normal operation and improves fuel efficiency due to less friction. The main job of oil is to clean and cool parts, meaning the suspension of particulates is the real issue, and modern oils with detergents extend the useful suspension properties and the life of those oils.

There was a time when even the oil companies called for changes every 5000 miles and focussed on viscosity breakdown, it was lowered to 3000 miles as the "jiffy" lubes became popular, all the while the same companies touting more and more superior oils along the way, with more detergents, more constistency, less viscosity breakdown, and less of a need for thick oils according to auto manufacturers.

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
license2ill said:
Yeah, and that would be to increase the monthly gross. The premuim margin on the expensive stuff already takes care of that.
it would be lovely if you know what you were talking about before you opened your mouth. we end our warranty to rid ourselves of the liability that comes with going 5000+ or whatever miles people go through before changing their oil. im not saying your motor is gonna blow up cause you went 8000 miles on a conventional oil, but it does damage it. period.

and btw, customers end up spending LESS money if they get RP than our conventional house oil.

so....
Yeah, and that would be to increase the monthly gross
holds little ground.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts