Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got 1000 miles on my 07 ZZR600.

I set my idle right at 1300 yesrday running standard Honda 10/40 mineral oil.

I completely drained my oil and installed new filter and now I'm running Mobile1 15/50 full synthetic for motorcycles. (I figured a little thicker synthetic is better for hot Florida summer riding)

After about 2 min I noticed right away that she is running about 1600 at idle.

Is this just a coincindence?...or is friction that much lower that she idles 300 rpms faster? (holy crap!)

I also noticed that shifting is more "crisp" and difined. Instead of a light and dull "clunk" sound,..now she shifts with a light "click" sound.

Is just my imagination or is that normal for synthetic.

CT

·
Registered
105 Posts
Depends when you set the idle. You should set it after riding for a few minutes. If you set it cold then it will increase some when it warms up completely.

no this is not because of the oil.

Yes you will notice a slight difference in the shift.

Kawi dealer told me they do not recommend synthetic because the oil does not "stick" to the transmission bearings properly and causes early failure. It also causes the clutch to slip under hard accelleration (I found this out the hard way).

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
clutch slipage is only a factor if you use synthetic oil with phrases on the label as "Friction Modifiers" or "Energy Conserving".

I've been using synthetic or semi-synthetic oil for thousands of miles in all of my bikes with no ill effects.

as for your idle, it probably has to do w/ engine temp & atmospheric conditions more than anything else. Could it have something to do w/ the oil? Maybe... but doubtful. Doesn't matter though, just use the idle control knob to set it properly.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
What oil do you guys use? My bike has not hit it's first 600 mile service, so I was not sure what they put in it at the dealer. Anyone using Mobil1? My truck has over 100k miles and I was using Castrol GTX, thinking about going to Mobil1 in all my vehicles. Stuff isn't cheap...

·
Registered
29 Posts
ROYAL PURPLE FTW!!!!!!!! lol dunno if its good for bikes or not but its GREAT FOR CARS. Expensive as shit too. Around where im at $10.99 a quart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not diggin' Mobil 1 15/50 too much now. I picked it up at a Triumph dealer near me and they say that they use it in all of their bikes. (The bottle says "specially packaged for Triumph)

Anyway, that doesn't matter. What does matter is that I don't like the way mike bike shifts now. I might be a little anal about this,..but my bike is very "click" - "Clack" in the way it sounds and feels. I mean it's very smooth and she shifts well... it just sounds really "crispy"

Oddly enough,..my bike is running cooler in stop and go traffic with Mobile 1.

I have only put 100 miles on that stuff but I'm draining it out, throwing out the filer and going over to Spectro Golden instead this weekend. ($50 bucks down the drain)

CT

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I just like how much longer synthetic lasts between oil changes.

Both the Triumph and my BMW car take synthetic, so i use the Mobil 1 High Mileage stuff. I'm loving it so far. Damn car gets over 10,000 miles between oil changes, EASY.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This Mobil 1 feels like I poured 4 liters of WD-40 inside that puppy...it "feels" watery-thin. (even at 15/50)

I know it's ultra slippery stuff that is rated well. I was reading somewhere that Synthetic's can sometimes not "stick" to moving parts and that it slides off metal without leaving enough "coating" or "film" behind.

I'm not sure what to think. I know that shifting before with petro-oil felt like stiring a milk shake in a glass with a spoon....Synthetic feels like stirring up plain water in a glass.

It's a stupid analogy, I know,... but that's the only way I can explain it.

Wierd.

I like muffled "thud" and "clunk" shifting sounds,...not sharp "click" and "clack" sounds. lol

CT

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well what you like and what is good for your bike are two different things. But its your bike so....Why dont you go to your kawasaki dealer and get the right oil for your bike and not something thats made for triumphs? Thats what i would do, go talk to your local mechanic at the dealer and see what he says. I always used honda oil in my honda bikes when i rode MX. Never had a problem once, so use the dealerships oil .

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
cliff said:
Oddly enough,..my bike is running cooler in stop and go traffic with Mobile 1.

CT
Hmmm...was the ambient temp roughly the same when you checked? If it is running cooler with the Mobil 1, wouldn't that mean it cut some of the friction and thus less heat is being generated? Both are very good things if that is the case...

Not to hijack the thread here...but what are you guys running in your bikes?

·
Blue Wheels
497 Posts
it sounds to me like the synthetic oil is doing a ton of good stuff for your bike and you're getting rid of it because of that. maye it's just me, but that doesn't make any sense. if the engine is really running cooler with mobil 1, that means less internal friction which means less wear on the engine.

i have run synthetic oil in my bike for the past 16,000 miles and it has worked well for me and kept the engine internals very clean. i definitely recomend it to anyone who is going to be running their bike hard and wants it to last.

in the past, i have used castrol 10-40. last change i used maxima 15-50. this time, i put in repsol 10-50 because it was on sale at the local shop ($30 for a gallon didn't seem bad).

i don't know that it makes any difference which oil you choose except that penzoil has parafin in it which causes sludge build up. i do believe that synthetic makes a huge difference over mineral, though.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Looked like Wally World (Wal Mart) had Mobil1 around here for $29 for a 5 qt jug of the extended performance stuff, seems like it was $24 for same of the 'regular'. I might pick some up and ask my dealer to use it for the first oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am I reading this right? Standard car oil (barring extended performance, energy conserving) will work find in a motorcycle?

I've been riding an '87 Ninja 600 for at least 15,000mi (my first motorcycle), and just picked up an '07 ZZR600 this week and is still in the break in period, but in my Old Ninja I've always ran Valvoline Motorcycle oil 10w-40, thinking there was something necessary in the Motorcycle for the transmission and wet clutch. Has this been a mis-conception? It would certainly open up oil selection. Thanks.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
Correct, most automotive oils are just fine in motorcycles.... but I usually still use motorcycle specific oil in my 600 since I spin it like a top at the track quite often.

What you want to keep away from are phrases like "With Friction Modifiers", "Extended Performance", "High Milage" etc. as those usually contain ingredients that can affect your clutch.

·
Registered
178 Posts
wat kind of oil u use in that sweet ride in ur pic oreo? :lao

1 - 20 of 21 Posts