Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sympathy for a Wanna Be

Hi all, I lurk around here all the time and drool over the thought of getting an FZ6 new or used but for right know, I have to be content to ride around on my 72 Honda K6 CB175. It's fun but not a highway bike by any means.

So here is my sad dilemma. I took this bike in for an engine overhaul back at the end of November.

The guy has not touched it. Keeps promising me he will have it done next month for the past three months.

Said he would have it done this week on Friday but when I called him back, it was clear that he had confused my bike with another customer's and had not in fact sent the head cylinders out and had not in fact even loosened the head.

I’ve given him a 200 dollar deposit and he has done nothing.

He always has an excuse

His power is out

He had a fire

His mother died

His employee quit

He thought he had the parts but did not and had to order them and then forgot to do so.

This week he said the shop overbooked and he did not want to sent the heads out until he could get them back the same day.

WTF!!!!!!

So I’m screwed. Can’t ride anything this season cause I can’t get the bike serviced anywhere in town during the season without having to wait until late fall (remember it’s a 72 so its not like everybody will work on it).

So I figure I’m at the front of the line at my shop but may not get it until it’s too late to enjoy it this season.

This guy is an old racer and a great mechanic but he has the worst case of adult ADHD I have ever seen.

He has enough parts to build about 20 vintage British Bikes, but in typical crackpot fashion, he could never get it together enough to sell one.

So what do ya think I should do next.

I’m thinking of walking in on the day it’s done and asking if he expects to collect the next 200 out of me given how long I’ve had to wait and how much bullshit he has been slinging.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
+1

·
me a "racer",i think not!
289 Posts
go pick that pup up, screw that waiting stuff especially with this clown, your the client/customer he should be kissing your ass for his screw ups, and time delays!!!
with out a doubt go pick her up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
we have all drooled over bikes that we would love to own ,it,s taken me the best part of 25 yrs to own decent bikes ,belive me some of my fondest memories are of my cb175,that i owned when i was 17 i could get that bike up to about 80mph thrash it all day long and it would still come back for more, it don,t matter what bike you have there,s alway,s another that you will drool over.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Definitely go get your bike and your $200, and bitchslap that mofo for being such a tool.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
What they said! Take her home, find a new mechanic (who has time for you) and save up for a daily ride, maybe something a little newer.

That's a cool little bike, don't get rid of her. I'm looking for something like that as a second bike!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Shomare said:
Sympathy for a Wanna Be

So I’m screwed. Can’t ride anything this season cause I can’t get the bike serviced anywhere in town during the season without having to wait until late fall (remember it’s a 72 so its not like everybody will work on it).

I can relate. No one wants to work on my '75 550 SuperSport either.
Parts supplies are not out there, AND theres no hand held diagnostics either!
LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

There she is. My little city bike.

I'll head to the shop on Tuesday when it's open and make arrangments to pick it up.

Just worried that it will be in pieces when I get there and that would be a lousey way to take possesion of the bike.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I wouldn't pick it up in pieces Shomare. If its in pieces your at his mercy to a point. I would kick his ass in gear(verbally) to finish it or have him re-assemble it in as is condition. A procrastinator in business is a bad way to be-flash some green backs in his face to hurry his lazy self. You brought it to him assembled, tell him you damn well want it returned assembled(rebuilt or not).
I had a VERY similar situation(with my 550F SS) where the shop said, 'We can tear it down and look at it(carbs need rebuild) but we can't guarantee we won't give it back in a box!'. I blew up on that. A shop receiving my bike whole and threatening to return it in pieces! :bsflag
Thats the bad thing these days, shops are more than willing to take your money, but DON'T HAVE THE SKILL.
BTW Shomare, clean old Honda-mine is in similar condition, 100% complete except for the passenger grab rail.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike repair problems.

I would take a friend with you so that if by chance he says something that you know to be false regarding the repair/deposit, at least a second set of ears could be handy.

Also, don't get involved with a verbal "take down" until you have all of the bike in the back of the pick up vehicle!

We could "send the FZ boys" around to the repair shop to "hurry" him along (Joke you know).

Good luck and keep the forum advised on your situation.

PS: Don't matter what you ride, it's who you are, which is most important!

·
Registered
898 Posts
First thing first, Make sure you have been keeping trackof all your conversations with this fellow. Then I would say if you are still havin problems with him take it to the court system. That is what small claims court is all about.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
ChesterMaddox said:
Then I would say if you are still havin problems with him take it to the court system. That is what small claims court is all about.
Doug Luwellen? <sp>

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oh yeah by the way if that bike is in that good of shape good job taking care of it it looks good

·
Registered
26 Posts
your 175,s looking good ,nice and standard still running the origional grey cables,the enginges are pretty easy to work on,so why not give it a go yourself,just take your time and use good tool,s as the bolts on these are pretty soft,when you do get a fz6 keep your little cb you dont have to go fast to have fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback.

I went down today and told him I was picking it up on Friday running or not, done waiting around and summer is upon us.

He said he would have it done, provided that the shop had finished with the cylinder head.

Told him either way, I'd be picking it up on Friday.

I'll get my money, all of it if it is in pieces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks folks. The bike sat for 15 years before it became mine. The owner said if I could get it running, it was mine.

After two weeks of tinkering, it started and ran.

I got it back today. guy gave me 275 and a bottle of bike cleaner when I picked it up even though I only left him with a 200 dollar deposite.

Guess he felt very guilty. Found a frined of a friend who restores bikes on the side and he will be picking it up on Monday to begin work.

Doubt that I will ride this season but sometimes things happen for a reason.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Shomare said:
Thanks folks. The bike sat for 15 years before it became mine. The owner said if I could get it running, it was mine.

After two weeks of tinkering, it started and ran.

I got it back today. guy gave me 275 and a bottle of bike cleaner when I picked it up even though I only left him with a 200 dollar deposite.

Guess he felt very guilty. Found a frined of a friend who restores bikes on the side and he will be picking it up on Monday to begin work.

Doubt that I will ride this season but sometimes things happen for a reason.
At least he made an attempt and correcting the situation, which is more than some will do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts