Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been milling this idea around in my head for a few weeks now and want to know if you guys think this is feasible. I love my CBR954, LOVE it! I plan to continue to take it to the track for a long time. I was thinking that if I do dump it (god forbid). No big deal, I’ll just buy some race bodywork from Hotbodies. I checked the price and I can get everything I need for $600 + tax & shipping, and that’s well within my budget.

But then I was thinking maybe I should just buy a dedicated track bike, but I like my 954 and another 954 would cost me $4200 minimum and who knows what kind of problems it might have. Then if I add some suspension upgrades and stuff I wont want to ride the stock 954 anymore and bla bla bla. Then I was thinking a big V twin sure would be fun for the track like a Ducati or RC51 but now we are really talking some $$$$, OK so scrap the 2nd bike idea for now.

So then I got a bright idea (maybe), instead of buying the race bodywork AFTER I crash why don’t I buy it before! I have had all the bodywork off my bike except for the upper piece that holds the headlamps and those pieces come off no problem. So my question is do you guys think I could switch out the bodywork in about 4 hours? Hit the track and then switch it back in 4 hours. I could install some plugs for any wires that don’t detach easily and I really don’t think I would mind spending 4 hours prepping before each trackday.

Also If I do dump my bike my I won’t destroy my headlight, taillight (with integrated LED turn signals), side markers ETC, That is unless I really #$%^ up and bend my frame :(. So do you think it’s feasible to switch bodywork between trackdays? Say 6 times a year…

Thx in advance…

·
Registered
213 Posts
yes you can switch it , I do it every trackday on a 2006 zx10r put all the race bodywork on go to the track come home and put it back together it takes me about 1 to 1 .5 hours to do it and every time it gets faster the first time it took longer but now I know how to do it , so you can definetly do it easy.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I’ll just buy some race bodywork from Hotbodies. I checked the price and I can get everything I need for $600 + tax & shipping, and that’s well within my budget.
You can get race plastics for cheaper than that. I got a full set of E-racing plastics for 395 shipped. they work great and fit great

But then I was thinking maybe I should just buy a dedicated track bike, but I like my 954 and another 954 would cost me $4200 minimum and who knows what kind of problems it might have. Then if I add some suspension upgrades and stuff I wont want to ride the stock 954 anymore and bla bla bla. Then I was thinking a big V twin sure would be fun for the track like a Ducati or RC51 but now we are really talking some $$$$, OK so scrap the 2nd bike idea for now.
You dont' need a 954 or RC51 for a track bike. a 600 or SV650 work perfectly
and you can find them cheap as hell. a local guy is selling a newer 600RR for like 5500 thats race ready, another 600F4I for 3500 that track ready

So my question is do you guys think I could switch out the bodywork in about 4 hours? Hit the track and then switch it back in 4 hours. I could install some plugs for any wires that don’t detach easily and I really don’t think I would mind spending 4 hours prepping before each trackday. .
it takes me 30 mins to get my bike out of street forum into track forum. Plastic wise. i still gotta do the tires well 1 tire(front)

Also If I do dump my bike my I won’t destroy my headlight, taillight (with integrated LED turn signals), side markers ETC, That is unless I really #$%^ up and bend my frame :(. So do you think it’s feasible to switch bodywork between trackdays? Say 6 times a year
Yes i do it 1-2 times a month, depending on when the next track day is. If it is a few weeks away i don't change it back, If it is like 3 weeks or more i change to street and drive it. its easy to do after you get the track plastics drilled to mount up

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
If you wanna do it, do it, but take it from someone who rides on the track 20-30 days a year and sees people do this kinda thing all the time.... switching the bodywork back & forth gets old QUICK.... before you know it you're just gonna be leaving the bodywork that's on there one way or the other and you'll either stop riding on the street or stop riding on the track.

A race prepped SV650 can be had for as little as 3 g's, ready to go and riding different kinds of bikes makes you a more rounded rider.

·
Registered
327 Posts
definately a good question. I have enjoyed reading the comments you guys have. I currently am trying to save up some money for a track bike. I think I can get a nice cbr 600rr and leathers for around 5K. At least that is what I am hoping to do.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
just make it a dedicated track bike =-P

what if you did the opposite and try and get a different bike for the street?! something a bit more comfy and what not.. i'm just throwing a wrench into the mix
that is the plan i have, convert the 636 for track use only then get something else for the street.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
its really not that bad to switch back and forth from street to track. the track plastics are easy, its the street plastics that take longer. If you do 1 trackday/month then its just better to get a trackbike or convert ur 954 to track only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts