Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my front sprocket to a 15 tooth, and in the process I broke one of the cap ends (forgive me I don't know what they are called) on the swingarm. Are these "caps" neccessary or are the just for asthetics. This is my first bike and I love it, so I don't want the missing caps to cause any problems.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Part number 24? If you broke that, then it is important. You need that cap to do a proper chain adjustment. How did you break that by the way?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the chain adjusted fine and the wheel is straight (I may add it took a while to do it this way). The piece broke very easily as I tightened the nut up against it. I don't know for sure, but it could have been cracked slightly when I bought the bike, it's only plastic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than chain adjustment do they serve any purpose? My wheel is on and torqued to spec. So I guess my real question is, would it be okay to ride until I can get the replacement in?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm curious on how you broke that piece as well. Did you loosen the axle enough when you tried to adjust the wheel??

I'm no expert but in my opinion if your sure that the rear wheel it straight and the axle is torqued correctly the wheel shouldn't move. You should be fine riding that way till you get another end cap ..... just keep a close eye on it.

This past weekend I noticed that one of my end caps was loose but the axle was tight and I wasn't having any problems at all. The wheel must have moved when I was torqued the axle and I must have missed it somehow. It's been a good 2 weeks since I moved the wheel last so I was riding like that the whole time :rolleyes Turns out one side was off by about 1mm but it didn't seem to effect the ride any ..... needless to say it's already been corrected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I loosend the caps before I loosened the axle just to look at the make-up of the whole thing. Then I began to re-tighten them before I loosened the axle, and that's when it broke. I guess I should have taken things for what they are instead of tinkering around, but the bike is new and a little tinkering around is okay (or so I thought). I checked the axle straightness according to the way a couple of others have done it, and it is straight as humanly possible.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I wouldn't guess that once the axle is torqued that the adjusters are playing much into anything at that point. Although that side may move over a period of time and that you don't want. I would get another cap coming as soon as possible. If you can't keep from going around the block a couple of times until it gets here, I doubt it will hurt anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll definately order another asap, but until it comes in I guess I'll just check it regularly.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
doublej said:
I loosend the caps before I loosened the axle just to look at the make-up of the whole thing. Then I began to re-tighten them before I loosened the axle, and that's when it broke.
That's what I though ..... when you tighten those nuts on the back the one closest to the cap actually moved the axle forward/back so you can adjust it, But you need to loosen the axle for that first.
That nut doesn't get torqued tight at all, it's the second one you put on that gets set to 12psi (i think) which keeps the first one from spinning. If you tightened the first one too much all's you were doing was making the nut push in on the center of the cap which caused it to crack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've figured all that out now, so I guess I'll just chalk it up to the Live and Learn category. Thanks for the help. :cheers

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I WOULDN'T RIDE IT WITHOUT THAT PLATE. There is a good chance that the axle will slip and loosen the chain that it can jump off the sprockets while riding. If you will notice, that plate is the only "positive" support for the axle against the chain's torque forces.

·
Registered
108 Posts
segue00 said:
I WOULDN'T RIDE IT WITHOUT THAT PLATE. There is a good chance that the axle will slip and loosen the chain that it can jump off the sprockets while riding. If you will notice, that plate is the only "positive" support for the axle against the chain's torque forces.

disagree completely. The adjusters are there for just that ... adjusting and getting things aligned as close as possible. Once that axle nut is tight, thats whats holding things in place. Think about it ... if those adjusters were holding things in place, they would have to be quite a bit stronger and b***** hardware than for him to be able to break them like he did.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
EdS-ooZX9R said:
disagree completely. The adjusters are there for just that ... adjusting and getting things aligned as close as possible. Once that axle nut is tight, thats whats holding things in place. Think about it ... if those adjusters were holding things in place, they would have to be quite a bit stronger and b***** hardware than for him to be able to break them like he did.
That's in addition to the axle nuts. Wouldn't take much together with the axle nuts. The axle nuts aren't in the right position to hold heavy shear movement. Those adjusters can actually move the axle rearward when turned even when the axle nuts are tight!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not when you've got it torqued to 87 lb-ft like you're supposed to. That's how he broke it in the first place. (doublej, I almost did that too the first time I tried to use the adjusters.)

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
fraggle1 said:
Not when you've got it torqued to 87 lb-ft like you're supposed to. That's how he broke it in the first place. (doublej, I almost did that too the first time I tried to use the adjusters.)
The chain puts out 98 hp of torque on that rear wheel that is held by an 87 ft/lb. clamping pressure. The axle is held on a "slot" to accomodate for alignment adjustment. The adjustment bolts is held by a "double" nut not just to adjust alignment, but also to keep it in that position preventing axle slide especially during heavy load, shock and vibration. Just be careful and watch out for the chain jumping out of the sprockets.

·
Registered
104 Posts
greatzippy said:
This past weekend I noticed that one of my end caps was loose but the axle was tight and I wasn't having any problems at all. The wheel must have moved when I was torqued the axle and I must have missed it somehow.
I've noticed when I torque down the axil the right side moves a little and I'm left with a loose end cap. How has everyone been correcting this?
greatzippy said:
Turns out one side was off by about 1mm but it didn't seem to effect the ride any ..... needless to say it's already been corrected.
Also curious as to how everyone is measuring each side. Haven't found a way I'm comfortable with yet. Much less that could tell me that I'm 1mm off.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
RamCutter said:
Also curious as to how everyone is measuring each side. Haven't found a way I'm comfortable with yet. Much less that could tell me that I'm 1mm off.
Haven't done it on a bike yet but if you count how many flats you turn the nut and turn both side the same amount it should be even on both sides. This will work if the wheel is true to start with and your adjusting the chain.

·
Registered
828 Posts
One more adjuster hazard to beware of: if those nuts vibrate loose the end cap can slide out of the swingarm, down the adjusting screw. When it's clear of the swingarm it can rotate to horizontal. The left end cap can then catch on the rear sprocket which will whack it until the adjustment screw bends enough that things no longer interfere. You'll hear a metallic sawing noise as this happens, then silence.

Don't ask how I know this. :rolleyes

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
RamCutter said:
There are marks on the end of the axle bolts (they're tough to see, but there are hashes there). Use those to line it up. I also use a ruler to measure from the center of the axle to the end of the swingarm to double check.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts