Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we finally did it. My girlfriend and I packed up for a three day ride starting in Arlington and ending in Burke's Garden. Our path was to take us down the whole skyline drive, most of the VA portion of the blue ridge parkway, and then through remote mountain roads ending near Tazewell at Burke's Garden, VA.

Well I have 14,000 miles on my Busa and my GF has put 2000 miles on her Ninja 250 since she got it a few months ago. Our journey started nicely:

Day 1 -

We got up early and hit the road - 66W to Front Royal where we jumped on the skyline drive. Having never driven the thing before, I figured in one day we could easily make it down to Blacksburg for the night. I was wrong. I didn't realize that it would be about 400 miles of 35mph twisty mountain roads. About half way through I was following my GF (she always leads for safety) and I went no-handed for a couple seconds and discovered I had a major headshake on my bike. I inspected my front tire and it was completely bald.

Hours of twisting back and forth and the tire was balled up all over the place. I was actually having a tough time keeping up with her because I didn't have the confidence in the tight corners (read - maybe she's faster than me, haha!). With all due respect, it is my original front tire so I can't complain. In any case, by dark we were both near collapse and I needed new tire so we decided to stop in Roanoke so I could get one put on the next morning. Turns out nobody would do it in one day so I had to bite the bullet and ride her a little gingerly for the remainder of the trip.

Day 2 - We drive through GORGEOUS scenery on our way towards Burke's. The weather is perfect. About mid-day we get to Burke's which is basically this eden of a place hidden in the mountains. We have to go up and over an extremely twisty and steep mountain pass and then back down to get there. On the way down there's this gayball UPS driver really tailgating me down the hill so I honk to my GF to signal that i want to let him by. She pulls of the road and there's this deep gravel and down she goes. She fell at about 2-3MPH so the only damage is a busted R. turn signal and two very minor scratches on the fairing. Her gear protected her and all is well. Except that gas is pouring out of the top of her gas tank so I jump over and help her lift the bike. or course it's all flooded so I had to use the ole running start trick to get her going again. Luckily it was a steep hill and that made it easier. We dig Burke's and head to a hotel for the night in Tazewell.

Day 3 - We were to make it all the way home this day but there's no way we have time/energy so we decide to take an extra day. We're both exhausted from the hard riding and really sore. We get from Tazewell back to N.E. roanoke and all is well.

Day 4 - Back up the blue ridge for half the day and then we bail and do the expressway the rest of the way home because we're about ready to die of fatigue.

That's the short version. We had perfect weather - low humidity and glorious sun. It was the best time of my life. Out riding through the mountains with my GF leading the way, it doesn't get any better. She did great considering I was on a Busa and she on a 250(!).

Things I've learned from the trip - I need handlebar risers, a touring windshield and a new seat.

Things she learned - she wants an SV650S before next years trip. Also she learned to use back brake only on extremely loose sand/gravel.

Of course here are some pics of from the ride...

Attachments

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And more...

Attachments

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more pics...

Attachments

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
:eek: You've got 14k on your front tire? Holy crap, it was time for a new tire like 8,000 miles ago! That's just plain dangerous, get a new tire NOW!

Looks like you had fun on the ride though! I need to find a girlfriend who rides! Good stuff dude!

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firefighter81 said:
:eek: You've got 14k on your front tire? Holy crap, it was time for a new tire like 8,000 miles ago! That's just plain dangerous, get a new tire NOW!

Looks like you had fun on the ride though! I need to find a girlfriend who rides! Good stuff dude!
It's already been changed. I'm pretty easy on tires. My rear lasted about 8k miles so it's cool. I was definitely overdue though - my bike does handle a whole lot better now!

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Nice pics and looks like a nice ride

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
nice pics, looks like it was a fun ride.

·
Politically incorrect
508 Posts
21 natas said:
nice pics, looks like it was a fun ride.
I agree, especially the nice weather.

So I go to work today, the first day of the school year in my dress up duds on my motorcycle since the weather will be perfect and the parking is always a nightmare. End up riding home at dusk in a 50 degree light drizzle. :(

Damn, it was still fun riding. :leghump

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey, I was on the BRP recently too. :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
pics

Thanks for the pictures, lovely scenery, I envy you, here in Iowa the scenery is rather bland.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You made your girlfriend wreck!!! Gezz what a guy! LO no really though that looks awesome I love the pics with you mimiking the signs good stuff!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice, sounds like a fun trip (except for the bald tire). I think I've asked before, but where in Arlington are you? I live right near Shirlington.

·
Registered
27 Posts
wow.. I cannot even imagine riding that much, but I enjoyed the details/pics sounds like you had a blast!

·
Registered
706 Posts
clsmitty said:
Thanks for the pictures, lovely scenery, I envy you, here in Iowa the scenery is rather bland.
I'm with you. That is one of (and one of the best) reasons I am planning my move to Western N. Carolina in the next 4 years. I am looking forward to, ummm, what are those things called, oh yeah, CURVES. :twofinger

Great pics. Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Granted, this is a picture of the Cherohala Skyway and not the BRP, but it's basically all you'll see when you're riding around the area...

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stang Man said:
Damn dude, awesome pics and sounds like a fun ride.

BTW Arnold is a badass, ever see the movie pumping iron? If not, I suggest it, its awesome.
That movie changed my whole life. My GF said she wanted to watch it with me and a that time I was 19 and 135lbs. 4 years after watching the movie I was over 220lbs. I always liked Arnold movies but I never knew how big he was BEFORE movies like The Terminator or Conan. Definitely the greatest body of all time. It started my obsession with bodybuilding. Of course I bought the new DVD when it came out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts