Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

this has probably been covered a million times but im curious....

im lookin gto buy my first bike and was looking into the sv650s. do any owners out there have any opinions or anything helpful that i should know about it, other then what the suzuki website says?

any info would be helpful.

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I, like you am a new rider and just order the SV650s. From what I have heard from quite a few people is that the 650s is a good starter bike, but not great. The Kawasaki 250/500 are still the best. But if you have the physical and MENTAL skill to grow with the bike you will be fine. Another great thing about the bike is that you shouldn't out grow if for a least 3years...where as for the 250/500 I know a lot of people that outgrew then in months not years.

For a great tips and dedicated forum check out SV650 forum

·
Registered
457 Posts
What I've heard is that the SV650/S, the FZ6 and the 599 are all marginal beginner bikes. The SV650 is considered marginal because it's apparently an accidental wheelie monster. The Fizzy and the Hornet are marginal becuase of their total HP potential.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah the SV can be wheelied really easy at low speeds, so don't crack the throttle unless you want the wheel to leave the ground. My bike had been running crappy for a while and I just got it fixed today, and as a test I whacked the throttle a little bit and before I knew it the front wheel was 3 feet in the air. Having said that. The bike is relatively tame if you want it to be. It's got pretty good ergos for a beginner, and you won't outgrow it anytime soon. The bad thing is they're a little top heavy and slow speed manuvering can suck sometimes. I would say get it. I starter on a Ninja250 and it was fun, but I'm really glad I have my SV.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
1st gear will wheelie VERY easy at nearly ANY rpm. 2nd will only wheelie if you WANT it to, and no chance of it happening in the rest.

Marginal at best for a starter bike, but then again, ppl have started on liter bikes and made it.....

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
99birdV6 has a super sweet 05 model he is selling for around 5K...it has some good mods like flush mounts and yoshi pipe and new lower fairings and some carbon fiber... He wants to move up so he is motivated to sell and could deliver the bike...

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
That SV that bumblebee is speaking of is the best looking SV I've EVER seen... It's a sweet machine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been riding my SV650S for about 3 weeks now. It has plenty of power for a begginer, I've never pulled the front wheel in first or second...but then agian never really tried to. So as far as that goes, just keep the wieght to the front if you nail it, works for me. If you're wondering top speed on this bike, I got it to 139...still had an extra 1K in the rpms to go but it just stopped pulling.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought by 02 650s about 4 months ago and I've found it to be a decent beginner. Like what was said previously, the ninja 250, 500 and suzuki gs500 are ideal but I think the SV is good to start and allows room to mature.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i own an sv and really love mine. it is an excellent starter bike, had a 250 ninja but would not reccomend one i got rid of mine after three weeks. the sv650s has the twin for a motor and it is a very torque bike, would definately reccomend it cause i love mine and am getting ready for the yoshi full exhaust which i hear sounds really nice of the sv650s. but what ever you decide to do let me know i would definately like to see ya with a suzuki SV650S cause i dont think you would be dissappointed with getting that bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just got my sv. love it. its a first bike for me. had it for almost a week now and already put 600 miles on it. i can't seem to find enough excuses to ride. its got some monster low end, sounds great too with a yosh. theyre not kiddin with the first gear wheel stands, just be careful with the trottle and u should be fine though. :fiddy

·
Registered
29 Posts
just picked up my 04 sv650s monday, I LOVE IT!! and prior to this I didn't even know how to drive stick much less anything else (sheltered life!haha) so i was/am the deffinition of ROOKIE and this bike is great, catches balance instantly, I personally think its great doing low speed turns, and she'll "scoot" if you work the throttle so it isn't "slow" but on the flip side don't plan on draggin a gixxer......ever. But personally I think draggin should be left to the cars, thats not riding, get a mountain of twisties now....now thats riding; which brings me to the last thing I want to mention the twisties on the SV, awesome! handles great only had 1 slight slip but thats not a bike error thats mine (miss judged some sand) but we got through it without meeting the pavement. and take and MSF course being I knew "jack" about riding I took it twice, well the 2nd time was free being my uncle was an instructor, didn't really have to but there is just so much knowlege shoved down your throat in a weeks time.
Anyway enough baballing

·
Registered
29 Posts
nick2fast said:
Anything is a good starter bike.... Even a Busa, just as long as you are always scared of it.
:rolleyes

repeat after me:......"thou shall not smoke crack and give advice to beginners"

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
nick2fast said:
Anything is a good starter bike.... Even a Busa, just as long as you are always scared of it.
That is by far one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am looking at an SV650, not the S model however.

I could be coerced into the S, if I can get some information on what is different. Thank you.

Hope to be joining the SV owners before too long!

·
Registered
29 Posts
drew03cmc said:
I too am looking at an SV650, not the S model however.

I could be coerced into the S, if I can get some information on what is different. Thank you.

Hope to be joining the SV owners before too long!
Cosmetic difference mostly, there are some other little differences that I can't think of off hand but pretty much same bike different look.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts