Sport Bikes banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Just for the record, the FZ6 USED to have the engine the YZF600 had, not the FZR. It currently has a detuned R6 engine, just as the FZ-1 has the previous genereation R-1 engine. I would not recommend the FZ6 as a first bike due to just the top heaviness alone. It's your money, but regardless of engine size or type, I wouldn't buy new GSX400.
Do you have gear, insurance, bike tools, etc. etc? Those are all things that need to be factored into the equation. Besides, since you are just getting started, you might find that you love v-twins and can't stand inline fours, or that clip-ons don't bother you but cramped rearsets do, or vice versa or maybe not at all. Anyway, you get my point. At the moment you just don't have enough experience to know what you will and won't like. Go cheap and used to get a baseline for comparison. Good luck.

M.

· Registered
17 Posts
The YZF600 would be a good choice. The FZ6 having the R6 engine would be a bit more powerful/faster. The YZF is comfortable, and very docile, but as you progress it has good power for when you're ready for it. It actually has more low end torque and HP than an R6. It's a bit heavy, but once moving, it's fine, and still weighs less than the FZ6. It handles very well, and has adjustible suspension front and back, where the FZ6 doesn't. The only thing I don't like is its very cold blooded. Takes a while to warm up. The FZ6 has the advantage of being fuel injected.

· Registered
7 Posts
Fz6

I bought an FZ6 as my first bike earlier this year. Love it. Comfortable upright riding position. Enough power to keep me happy for a while. Handles well in the canyons.

Downside: Jerky throttle response at low speed(1st and 2nd gear); Front suspension seems soft and not adjustable.

· Registered
393 Posts
The SV1000S might not be a good choice for you now, but the others would be okay. Don't discount the Katana 600. I started out on a Suzuki 88' Kan o' tuna and it was a great first bike. Not a true sportbike, but cheap thrills for a first bike.

· Registered
184 Posts
Go for the Yzf

I have a 2003 Yzf 600 and I love it. It's not the fastest bike out there by far but it does have plenty of power for the street. The handling is great with awsome brakes for the crazy car drivers you have to dodge. I am 6'1" 160 lbs and it fits me great. How much power do you need for the street anyway? My good freind has a 2004 Honda F4I and when I set on it I feel like my hips are being spread apart and I don't feel like that on the Yzf. They are cold blooded but it don't take that long to warm up. I don't notice the extra few pounds that they weigh especially since I have a tank bag on it for commuting to work anyway. The suspension settings are all there for you to adjust for the way you like to ride. I have mine set so that it launches when you get on it instead of pulling the front in the air. How much better can you get since Yamaha hasn't changed anything since 97 and still makes the same bike in 2005. I will say that get what you like and to HELL with what everyone says. YOU MAKE THE PAYMENTS NOT THEM.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
lawson said:
Get a 500. i havent got my bike yet and i want to start at a 500 or less becuase im afraid i will do somthing wrong and end up hurt on a more powerful bike
I started with a Honda CB500 (don't know if you get them in the states) but I got tired of it pretty quickly, so don't get a 500...

I have also had an SV650 which I really liked, however a Volvo came my way so now I own an FZ6. Out of the bikes I have owned I must say that I like the FZ6 best, and it is in my opinion a good bike to start with. It is easy to ride and won't give you any nasty surprises, and the upright riding position is very comfortable.

I actually think the SV is a less good choice for you since the seat isn't all that comfortable, the stock front suspension is way too soft (replace with Öhlins) and the brakes could be a bit better.

Do you get the Kawasaki 650 parallel twin in the US? If so, that is also a really good choice and alot cheaper than the FZ, atleast in Europe.

· Registered
3,215 Posts
You realize this was from 2004 right?

BTW welcome :twofinger <standard greeting

· Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,730 Posts
The "related threads" link sometimes drage these old things up. It will go away eventually when everyone understands that the situation was resolved three years ago.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.