Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Looking to get one of these bikes. My choices are

Suzuki SV650S
Suzuki SV1000S
Yamaha FZ6
Honda CBR600 F4i
Yamaha YZF600R

What I'm looking for is decent power and handling. More importantly, comfort! I want to be able to ride for hours. I'm slightly 5'8" weighting in 190 lbs. As you can tell, I'm not physically fit for a true track bike nor do I have the need for speed. Just looking to ride freely on a comfortable bike that looks sporty. Does anyone here have any opinion for me. Thank you everyone in advance and any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

GSX400 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
FWIW - I test rode the Suzuki 650 and 650s before buying my FZ6. I found the seating position/ergos on the Yamaha better than all the other bikes (especially the "s" versions of the Suzuki due to the clip-ons and slightly farther back rear-set). The FZ6 also has great power available - now that I'm past my initial 600 miles check/tune I can open it up a bit more and this bike easily breaks ALL speed limits without leaving 3rd gear!! I also love the look of the undertail exhaust and the digital gauge. Lastly, the FZ6 comes with a centerstand (not an option for the Suzuki's per my local stealer/dealer).

Obviously I'm biased, but I really love this bike.
 

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
I would NOT recommend an SV1000. Great bike, but too much for a first bike.

Have you looked at the sv650 (non-s model)? It's naked, but the ergos are more upright. Lots of aftermarket parts including mini-fairings to block the wind.

The Suzuki GS500f or Kawi EX500 are also great bikes that would fit your described needs/desires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
<-----My votes for the FZ6. Great bike with great ergos. I give it a Best Bang for the Buck. I would also check out the SV650s....looks good with the V-Twin power. Ergos aren't that good, and if that's the issue than the FZ6 is where it's at. After a few hours on the FZ6, it can get a little uncomfortable. For this I'd suggest a Corbin or I've seen Gel Pads under the seat skin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I personally really like the look and feel of the YZF600R. It's a sweet bike. Yamaha's are all pretty comfy for me being 5'10'' - 150lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
SV 650's are probably pretty good as there isn't too much stuff to break on them when you drop it, but they have a lot of torque compared to inlines. Will come up like nothing in 1st. If you panic and yank some throttle, it won't be pretty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
extra said:
SV 650's are probably pretty good as there isn't too much stuff to break on them when you drop it, but they have a lot of torque compared to inlines. Will come up like nothing in 1st. If you panic and yank some throttle, it won't be pretty.
Not arguing with you or anything, but my brand new SV650S didn't feel anywhere near as powerful (or torquey for that matter) compared to ANY of the 600'ss I've owned. I've only sat on the FZ600, however compared to my YZF600, I'd take the YZF any day.

M.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, it looks like a hot topic. So far most of the vote is for the FZ6 and YZF600R. There seem to be a disagreement with the experience on the SV-S. However, I did not hear any suggestion on the Honda CBR600 F4i.

Does anyone knows which bike has the highest handle bar? I assume that will give me a better riding position allowing to sit a bit more upright. Correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
GSX400 said:
Wow, it looks like a hot topic. So far most of the vote is for the FZ6 and YZF600R. There seem to be a disagreement with the experience on the SV-S. However, I did not hear any suggestion on the Honda CBR600 F4i.

Does anyone knows which bike has the highest handle bar? I assume that will give me a better riding position allowing to sit a bit more upright. Correct?
That would be the FZ6. Not 100% on the other bikes but the FZ6 uses a single bar so it is a much more comfortable position. The rest have clip-ons? I like the YZF as a full faired clip-on bike but the semi-naked undertail exhaust with digital tach and 180 rear on the FZ6 sold me for 6500 instead of the YZF 7100. Did I mention a 5 gal tank sporting 50 miles to the gallon stock? The FZ6 has the same inline-4 as the YZF just tuned slightly differently (for more of a commuting or comfort riding bike).

I have heard the F4i is a great bike too but a little steep on the price for my budget.
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
SORRY, i disagree w/ all the above except for the ex500, and so does www.beginnerbike.com the nekkid 600's are less powerful then the 600SS bike BUTm they will still throw you on your ass in a millisecond. but that's IMO /shrug

what kinda experience do you have, if any?

and have you taken the MSF class yet? if not www.msf-usa.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
Wow... are you looking at buying a brand new bike as your first bike???

I wouldn't even buy a Ninja 250 brand new... cause when you drop it, you will cry!

Why not look at a bike thats about 3-6 years old? Maybe an older 600? Or a 2000 Sv650s? Sv's seems to be one of the best deals when it comes to used bikes...

If you're looking for a "comfortable" bike, I'd check out Honda F3, Sv650, Katana, Ninja 500 or GS500f... they sit upright a little more than other ss bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Again, everyone has their own experiences and preferences - but I got my FZ6 as a first bike. I was told by everyone I knew that rode that I would drop the bike at some point and accepted it as a risk of owning a nice bike. On the third day of being on the street my FZ6 was dropped at an intersection when I put my left foot down into some cages mess of oil and antifreeze. And did I cry? Nope...just picked up the bike, checked it for damage (just a few scratches in the alt cover and the back of the mirror), restarted it and finished my planned trip.

Honestly, my biggest concern about dropping a bike was not how to prevent it (happens to the best of us, so I'm told), but if I could actually get it back upright (I'm physically fit, but only 155lbs soaking wet). A friend let me try to pick up his HD Softail....and it was all I could do to get the 650+ lbs monster back on it wheels.

Bruce in Redding, CA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know this sounds crazy, but yes my first bike and I'm considering a new one. I don't know much ridding experience but ridden mopet in the past. I know it's not the same. I'm not afraid of dropping the bike either. I'm taking the the msf class later this month. I know I should consider the 250 or 500, but they just don't appeal to me. I want a bike that I wouldn't grow out of it in a few months.

It sound the FZ6 is an excellent bike. Compare to the YZF 600R (2005) which is better?
 

·
I own license2ill
Joined
·
5,679 Posts
the value of the fz6 is great and more upright but i personaly like the yzf 600 if your mind is set then your going to get one of these any way just be carefull and stay light on the gas or youll be picking the bike up off the ground they all have a good bit of power
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
After taking an MSF class my first bike was a 93 Yamaha Seca II. I bought the bright blue crapper for $900. I did not want to drop a shiny new bike on the ground or spend a bunch of money and come to find out that I can't ride. Well I never dropped it and I can ride but I am glad that I started on the Seca. It had managable power for a newbie. I wasn't afraid of damaging the bike itself so I could concentrate on my technique.

If you spend 1-2000 on a used beginners bike, you will be able to turn around and sell it the following year for pretty much what you paid for it. If you spend 6-8 grand on a new bike you wont be able to do that. I owned the Seca for a little over a year and sold the thing in 3 days for 50 bucks less than I bought it for. Now I ride a Liquid Silver YZF600R :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
djalterego said:
After taking an MSF class my first bike was a 93 Yamaha Seca II. I bought the bright blue crapper for $900. I did not want to drop a shiny new bike on the ground or spend a bunch of money and come to find out that I can't ride. Well I never dropped it and I can ride but I am glad that I started on the Seca. It had managable power for a newbie. I wasn't afraid of damaging the bike itself so I could concentrate on my technique.

If you spend 1-2000 on a used beginners bike, you will be able to turn around and sell it the following year for pretty much what you paid for it. If you spend 6-8 grand on a new bike you wont be able to do that. I owned the Seca for a little over a year and sold the thing in 3 days for 50 bucks less than I bought it for. Now I ride a Liquid Silver YZF600R :)

That might something I would consider. I'll consider it, thank you. This weekend I'll look around to see if I can find an inexpensive bike to start first.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top