Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im planing on buying an sv650 for my first bike, but i really dont like the look of it... can you guys post some pics of your sv's so that i can get an idea of what i want to change on my bike....
thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,215 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
244 Posts
To heck wit looks. The SV is a good starter. Very smooth powerband. Doesn't have the ability to do 140+ cause as much as u say you will ride responisbly u won't.:lol It is one of the premier track school bikes. Still does like a high 11s low 12 sec quarter mile and won't loop if u sneeze in the first 3 gears. I personaly consider it a much better starter then a 250 or 500 due to its better brakes and suspension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,215 Posts
MIKEDPILOT said:
Don't ever buy anything other then like a crappy lookin cheap ninja 250 without full coverage. Trust me ur first new bike will be wrecked,stolen or vandalized.
Interesting set of statements.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
244 Posts
kneedraggin650s said:
Interesting set of statements.
a bike that can be had for 2800 otd and payin out the wazoo for full coverage or a bike that can be had for 9000 OTD. Crash the 250 and u can replace it with a like one for 2k or less,same as insurance would give u. They are tough bikes 2 total anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
MIKEDPILOT said:
To heck wit looks. The SV is a good starter. Very smooth powerband. Doesn't have the ability to do 140+ cause as much as u say you will ride responisbly u won't.:lol It is one of the premier track school bikes. Still does like a high 11s low 12 sec quarter mile and won't loop if u sneeze in the first 3 gears. I personaly consider it a much better starter then a 250 or 500 due to its better brakes and suspension.
It is not a much better starter bike. The 250 and 500's suspension and brakes are just fine and there is no way you are going to outride them in your first year or two no matter what you say.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
244 Posts
650, the 1000 is a detuned TL engine. Even those its de-tuned and mostly homosexuals ride the softer SV-1000 while real men ride the TL it still is a wheelie monster and can spin the tire out rather easily. The liter twins are fun bikes for more advanced rider but pretty bad for a first time. An SV-650 would be my bike of choice for track if i didn't have 4 other bikes.lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
MIKEDPILOT said:
650, the 1000 is a detuned TL engine. Even those its de-tuned and mostly homosexuals ride the softer SV-1000 while real men ride the TL it still is a wheelie monster and can spin the tire out rather easily. The liter twins are fun bikes for more advanced rider but pretty bad for a first time. An SV-650 would be my bike of choice for track if i didn't have 4 other bikes.lol
Do you want to modify the above statement, or do I need to ride up to NYC and bitch slap your punk ass?

:lol
 

·
The chick on the Beemer!
Joined
·
455 Posts
shop around... two years ago I got an 01 SV650S for $3100. You should be able to get an 03 for around that now... fuel injection :D Do not get the SV1000 as a first bike. For one it is a lot heavier and you really don't need that kind of power in a first bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
03' SV650S has been my first bike and I have no complaints whatsoever. People always ask me when I'm going to get something b*****/faster/etc and I always find myself telling them I'm content on staying with my SV for atleast another year....I just can't get enough of it....5 months 5,200 miles so far put on her by me. Bought used on Craigslist for $3,000 with less than 4,000miles = STEAL
 

Attachments

·
old member
Joined
·
13,079 Posts
gngsquared said:
Do you want to modify the above statement, or do I need to ride up to NYC and bitch slap your punk ass?

:lol
Wait, I'm coming with you. :)

The sv650 is a great bike (I had one for 5 years), but it's not a great first bike. It was my first street bike after many years away from bikes and I wish I had re-started on a 500. The learning curve would have been faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
Most say the sv has a lot of torque. I dont know, I think this is subjective. It may have more torque in comparison to its powerband, a 600ss has most of its torque in the higher rpms while the sv delivers equal torque throughout. At least thats what I understand.

I like my bike a lot. I would rather have a cbr600rr but im 19 and the insurance is enough as it is. My advice if you buy the sv. Dont expect a balls to the wall crotch rocket. Its fast but I never get the feeling that it wants to rip my arms off. The growlof the V-Twin is nice (opposed to the whine of the ss inline 4), the low end torque is real nice for the city. I dont know how well you ride but the bike is forgiving, just remember it still has 600 cc's... ss or not :) Oh and theres is an abundance of aftermarked parts. Kinda like a honda civic, but way better.

forgot- full farings, rear seat cowl,fender eliminator kit. One sweet lookin ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
TemplarForGod said:
Most say the sv has a lot of torque. I dont know, I think this is subjective. It may have more torque in comparison to its powerband, a 600ss has most of its torque in the higher rpms while the sv delivers equal torque throughout. At least thats what I understand.

I like my bike a lot. I would rather have a cbr600rr but im 19 and the insurance is enough as it is. My advice if you buy the sv. Dont expect a balls to the wall crotch rocket. Its fast but I never get the feeling that it wants to rip my arms off. The growlof the V-Twin is nice (opposed to the whine of the ss inline 4), the low end torque is real nice for the city. I dont know how well you ride but the bike is forgiving, just remember it still has 600 cc's... ss or not :) Oh and theres is an abundance of aftermarked parts. Kinda like a honda civic, but way better.

forgot- full farings, rear seat cowl,fender eliminator kit. One sweet lookin ride.

That is just the temptation of the beast. Every bike you own will become docile and not balls to the wall after a while. You will always yearn for more power. You can't get caught up in that because eventually your bike will be the biggest and fastest you can buy...and you will still yearn for more.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top