Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase one for the track. The question I have is would it be better to buy a 2001 carberated track bike and use the money saved to upgrade the front suspension or purchase a 2005 FI track bike that has the same stuff as the 2001 but only be able to change the internals of the front end to be set for my weight?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Buy an already built track SV. You'll save a bunch of money buying it already setup for the track, regardless of the generation.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
you should be asking the question on CMRA forums. In WERA you cant have different forks is superstock. 1st gens can be built to the moon and make better superbikes, 2nd gens have better chassis and are superior superstock bikes. Either one can win in either class. So figure out what you want to do in racing and build around that.

Shock, oil, and springs in that order....

dont bother with used shocks you will have to get them rebuilt if you're at all serious.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true PED hadnt thought to post up in there. The bikes I am looking at area already built but could still be built more. Most of them have the stock forks on the front and have the internals changed for the riders weight. I of course will have to do that again unless I find one already set to my weight.

Without changing the forks I can still go with much better setups than they have on them so I guess what I am trying to say is that if I buy a second gen then I will most likely only be able to do the springs and emulator set to my weight. If I buy the first gen I could go with cartridges and still end up at about the same price overall.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I mean built as in motor work. 2nd gen cranks tend to snap above 90hp Im told.

my buddy was a 2012 national expert runner up on an 01 with stock forks. So dont worry about spending money on the forks. even emulators aren't needed. They're just high speed compression valves more suited to the street. You really won't tell any difference. My bike doesnt have high speed compression and most newer bikes only have it in name only without work done to the valving.

It's all in the shock and having it fresh, sprung right and dyno'd.n Thermosman does all that for just under $200 if you buy one with a shock already on it. That's what keeps tire wear to a minimum and grip at the maximum.

down the road you can do the traxxion drop-in carts. A custom map and a quickshifter should be on the 2nd gen IMO.

If I were you here's what I would do.

-get the 1st gen IF it has a quickshifter and custom jetting (a dyno chart a big plus) and it has a shock on it. $2500 or so with plenty of spares and top grade shit.
-spend the extra money on a new front a two rear bridgestone or pirelli slicks, shock refresh and fork springs and good oil (if needed)
-do a few trackdays
-get your race license and do a couple rounds

see where you are and where the bike is and you'll have alot better understanding on where to go next.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Somehow I didnt see you had posted on this again PED. Thanks for the advice. I go in the morning to check out the 2001. I dont think it has a QS though. This is what the guy said about the 2001.

Nice sv650 track bike ,lots of aftermarket parts penske fully adjustable rear suspension, new custom springs and dampers in front forks, rearsets,new grips,full sharkskin body kit, steering damper, shorty levers, just had motor checked valves adjusted and carbs resinked , have receipts, lots of extra track parts, 2 sets of wheels and tires, extra sprockets, tire warmers, misc other parts. I know I have left things out but you get the just.
The 2005 the lady says this:

2005 SV650 Track Bike Race Ready
Vance & Hines Full Exhaust
Armour Bodies Full Race Body
Dzus Fasterners
Zero Gravity Windscrren
Vortex Rearsets
Penske Double with Remote Resevoir
Racetech Emulators & Springs
TechSpec Rank Rad
Woodcraft Frame Sliders
Woodcraft Clipons
Vesrah JRL Brake Pads
RK Gold Chain and Sprocket Kit QA
Dynojet PCIII
HealTech GIPro DS Gear Indicator
Dynojet Ignition Module
Dynojet Quickshifter
Safety wired per CMRA Rules
Factory Pro Shift Star Kit
Brembo 19 RCS Master Cylinder
Front Steel Braided Brake Line
BT003RS
The 2005 will run about $1000-$1500 more than the 2001 but it seems to have a bit more stuff done to it.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
the 2005 without a doubt....the other one saying things like "new custom springs and dampers" raises my eyebrows....nobody who knows shit talks like that.

That brembo is worth $300 alone AND it's safety wired for CMRA so you know it meets class rules. It's turnkey and owned by someone who obviously knows what they're doing. $3,500-4,000 is a going price.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet thanks for the advice Ped. Ill let ya know how it goes sometime later this week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts