Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question, maybe stupid, but i have to get it out of the way while deciding on bikes.

this guy's bike is track modded, 02 i believe i saw(sorry for picture jacking)

now on SVrider.com they seperate bikes, **-02 and 03+ forums. are 03+s virtually the same as before? or redesigned?

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
complete redesign.

Different fram, fuel injection added, a few more hp, etc. If you want the specifics, let us know and we'll post up.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure id like to see some specs. so if i were to buy an 03+ mods like that 02 there arent available?

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Everything (mods) that is available for one, is available for the other. ANY part you can name that you might want to change, is available.

1st gen has tubular frame
2nd gen has "flat" cast frame, which is supposed to be better (less flex) thus making it handle better.

1st gen is carb'd, 2nd is fuel injected making about 3 - 5 hp more.

2nd gen S model had more of an agressive riding position than 1st gen.

2nd gen has preload adjusters on the forks, 1st gen does not (EXCEPT on the 02 model 1st gen)

2nd gen styling is much more "angular"

2nd gen has an oil cooler

2nd gen radiator will smack the ground in a crash due to its width (frame sliders will protect it tho)

That is all the differences (i can think of at the moment between first gen (99 - 02) and second gen (03 and up).

below is a list of changes on the second gens....

---------------------------------------------

03 - 1st year of 2nd gen.

04, lower subframe making for (slightly) lower seating posistion.

05, same as 04 plus narrower radiator than previous models, black frame, black wheels, black everything (except engine). IMO, this is the BEST looking SV yet due to the blacked out everything. If they'd just offer it in black bodywork like the SV1k.....

On the 04+ models, both seats, rear plastics, plastic covers just below the driver seat, subframe, and exhaust are NOT interchangable to the 03's, unless you change EVERYTHING at once. Reason is due to the subframe being lower.

Also, I've heard that the 04 and 05 models were slightly neutured....as in, the pegs on the S model are lower and farther forward than 03 models....but still more aggresive than the naked. I'm not sure if this is fact or fiction tho.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a few more, does the FI make that big of a difference in its rideablly/potential power?

if so, is the FI adaptable?(or is that more hassle then its worth?)

im sure these sound like dumb questions, but if im gonna drop alot of cash for one, i wanna make sure it has the potential to make it fun for years to come.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
The FI in itself does nothing more than make driveability a little better. The HP gains come from a b***** (stock) muffler, and the cams are a little different.

Probably more trouble than it's worth to convert, as well as more expensive to tune (must buy a teka box, or Power Commander to tune FI). I'd rather have carb's for tuning.

As far as being fun for years, I've had my 03 for almost 2 years and 20k miles. I'm still not bored with it. All I've done for mods are gearing changes, lower handlebars, and a slip-on. 70 hp might not be a LOT, but it's more than enough to keep me entertained.

edit: FI IS better, but not THAT much better. I like FI, and cabs both...FI is much nicer for cold starts, but can be a little twichy with the on/off throttle response. If you do get the SV, you will be very pleased with it. I've yet to hear of anyone not like it after getting it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ZQ8Dude said:
a few more, does the FI make that big of a difference in its rideablly/potential power?

im sure these sound like dumb questions, but if im gonna drop alot of cash for one, i wanna make sure it has the potential to make it fun for years to come.

FI will make a difference if you plan on taking your bike into higher elevation areas (mountains and such). other than that, you'll be fine with FI or carbs.

are you wanting it for the street or for the track? or both? they're fun bikes - and i don't think you have to drop alot of cash for one. used ones can be picked up for $3000 and up. quite a bargain and a great bang for your buck IMHO.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
roadtripper said:
FI will make a difference if you plan on taking your bike into higher elevation areas (mountains and such). other than that, you'll be fine with FI or carbs.
The SV's FI is COMPLETELY open loop, so even elevation changes wouldn't make a difference.

Open loop meaning no o2 sensor, no map sensor, etc etc etc. It always runs on the same preset fuel/timing map, regardless of anything else going on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
right. i wan't very clear.

i meant . . . if you have FI and you plan to ride in varying elevations, you'll be fine. however, if you get a non-FI SV, elevation can be problematic.

sorry.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Sorry...what I meant was there is no advantage to FI on the SV as opposed to carbs with elevation changes. They will (for the most part), act the same.

Neither is a problem with elevation change as I've seen both at the beach and in the mountain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
right on.

i'm only speaking from my own personal experience with my 00 sv650 and elevation. maybe i had it jetted wrong, but when i got it up high, it was missing and ch-ch-chugging. a friend of mine 00 sv650, too, had the same problems.

but it was minor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I am going to like my SV when I finally get one! From what I can tell, the only complaint people have with them is the carb'd ones tend to chug a little bit in high altitudes. Living in Missouri, that would not be too terrible a problem.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
ZQ8Dude said:
quick question, maybe stupid, but i have to get it out of the way while deciding on bikes.

this guy's bike is track modded, 02 i believe i saw(sorry for picture jacking)

now on SVrider.com they seperate bikes, **-02 and 03+ forums. are 03+s virtually the same as before? or redesigned?
Ha Ha that's funny..The bike in the picture use to belongs to a girl by the name of Jen (Upallnite) And yes thay are redesigned. She sold the bike and
now has an 03!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts