Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
What-eva
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see these things in the dealers, brand new, with 2005, 04 and 03 models. I did some reading on them and did not see any bad reviews. So what is the deal?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My old roomate had an sv650s and I thought it was a cool bike. His insurance and taxes were always cheaper than my sportbike.

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
The don't have the cult following that the Suzuki TL series did (do). With the Honda VTR1000 out there along with the RC51 and the Aprilias nobody saw anything that said wow, plain and simple. They should have stuck with the powerful TL motor and put it in a lighter frame with new sleeker full plastics. A new suspension would have been great in the TLR stock. The SV1000 never has or will have the wow factor of the TL's or the SV650.

·
Registered
361 Posts
just a few guesses.

It's listed as a 1000cc motorcycle, but only has the performance of a 600 (in terms of HP) hence higher insurance

at least in my area, a great deal of the new motorcycle purchasers are the image concinous (they want a sport bike because it's the new black) and the SV1000 isn't a gixxer

for the price you can get a GSXR 600, full fairing, lighterweight, updated suspension

·
Registered
495 Posts
They aren't racer replicas like so many other sportbikes; that tends to detract from sales. They don't have the look for posers, or the performance for wannabees. They are great street bikes (like most sporting twins). They sound incrediable, and will do more than you should ever ask it on the streets. Nice, thin between the knees, decent handling, and fairly comfortable.

It is a shame such good motorcycles go unnoticed (TLS's, SuperHawk's, SV's, and many other non twins as well...). I do supose this creates excelent deals for poeple in the "know". Generally speaking, poeple you see riding these machines are a bit different than the cycling norm. They might not want what everyone else has, realize a 15,000 rpm speed machine with super taught suspension isn't the best on the streets, love the bottom end and exhaust note, and are less likely to be seen at a hangout and more likely to be seen actually riding.

Just my observations from my local area, interpreting magazine articals, this forum, and my mentality.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Str8away Hater has pretty well named it. Mind you they had a very uncomfortable saddle in the front area & suspension was not very good, fact is I think with the 1000, again, you could not adjust the suspension & same with the SV-650S so that to would have been a downer. Still the SV-650s was the winner.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Str8away Hater said:
They aren't racer replicas like so many other sportbikes; that tends to detract from sales. They don't have the look for posers, or the performance for wannabees. They are great street bikes (like most sporting twins). They sound incrediable, and will do more than you should ever ask it on the streets. Nice, thin between the knees, decent handling, and fairly comfortable.

It is a shame such good motorcycles go unnoticed (TLS's, SuperHawk's, SV's, and many other non twins as well...). I do supose this creates excelent deals for poeple in the "know". Generally speaking, poeple you see riding these machines are a bit different than the cycling norm. They might not want what everyone else has, realize a 15,000 rpm speed machine with super taught suspension isn't the best on the streets, love the bottom end and exhaust note, and are less likely to be seen at a hangout and more likely to be seen actually riding.

Just my observations from my local area, interpreting magazine articals, this forum, and my mentality.

+1 Great post!!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Str8away Hater said:

+1 :beer

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I'm going to look at a SV1000 this weekend. I think they look sweet. Throw some lower fairings on it, but a seat cowl and it looks just like any other sportbike and only have the insurance

:drool

EDIT: MT, i see you reading the thread..wanna go with me to look?

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
My guess is, no fairings, it's not a TLR, it's not a RC, so it must just not be cool.

I'd be surprised if they even bring it back in 06.

·
20,262 Posts

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
That bike has close to $5,000 worth of work on it. It is an amazing machine. I love my SV1000s. I will not sell that bike. It is my favorite. I have a GSXR1000 and 750.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
I ride with a guy who after two gix 1000s got a sv1000 and loves it. I've ridden twisties in the rain and seen that thing rail too. Toyed with the idea of getting one myself. I'd like to hear one with a decent set of pipes.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Twitch Macabre said:

That is damn cool.

I do like the SV1000S in stock trim but I've never ridden one so I can't speak much to the suspension/handling.

I tend to agree to the general theories here... the bike isn't a full fairing street racing machine and so its low (I won't say poor without knowing how many are made, what the margin is, etc) sales are a result of image.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I had to drop off my tire to get it plugged and was roaming around the store when a clean silver SV1000s caught my eye. It was clean! Lower fairing kit, full single M4 exhaust, Galfer wave rotors up front, and with a mere 1400 miles on the clock. The price was right at $6K. If I had the deniro, I would jump all over that. Some people just don't know a good deal when they see one.

·
20,262 Posts
Hams51 said:
I had to drop off my tire to get it plugged and was roaming around the store when a clean silver SV1000s caught my eye. It was clean! Lower fairing kit, full single M4 exhaust, Galfer wave rotors up front, and with a mere 1400 miles on the clock. The price was right at $6K. If I had the deniro, I would jump all over that. Some people just don't know a good deal when they see one.
Damn, that is a really good deal. Where's this at? :D

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I saw a few folks in Sierra Vista with them and they rode the hell out of em. I noticed thought that the guys how had em know how to ride, don't mean just going straigh either they hauled ass in the twisties too. And with an avermarket pipe ....those SV1000's sound beautiful. I was thinking about getting one myself due to the lower insurance GEICO claimed that it was a sport tourer.....I have yet to see one em "tour" lol.

Str8away Hater, you luck devil you live close to the Gap!! I took my brnad new 7 up there 2 weeks after I bought her and got bit. Not too bad, I was still able make a few more passes and did not have to leave anthing on the tree of shame. When I get back....oh yeah definate road trip to the Gap.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Twitch Macabre said:
I see these things in the dealers, brand new, with 2005, 04 and 03 models. I did some reading on them and did not see any bad reviews. So what is the deal?
If it's not a full fairing race replica or a cruiser it just doesn't sell in large numbers here is the U.S. As others have mentioned several bikes fall into this relatively unpopular category like the SV/TLS, Z1000, Superhawk, Honda 919/599 etc. They sell great in Europe. All are good bikes with certain strengths and weaknesses. Just about all of them make better street bikes than the race replicas and most will hang with the true sportbikes in sane riding situations. It isn't until you get to the track or on some long straight on the streets that the replicas out perform them. The more sport oriented naked standards are starting to gain some popularity in the U.S. though.

Personally, I love the looks and performance of my Z1000. It has way more power and capability than I will ever need and with dual Scorpion slip-ons it sounds outright mean.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts