Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at this SV1000 for sale. 03, 9500 miles fairings, undertail, etc for 5k...NADA price is 6475 high end. He has exhaust but converted the two into one. What would be the purpose of doing this? Better performance? It's a Yoshi Full exhaust.

Thanks!

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Rascus said:
Looking at this SV1000 for sale. 03, 9500 miles fairings, undertail, etc for 5k...NADA price is 6475 high end. He has exhaust but converted the two into one. What would be the purpose of doing this? Better performance? It's a Yoshi Full exhaust.

Thanks!
There may be some performance benefit going 2-1 but another reason would be weight saving.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, i knew it would save some weight off of it. I really like the dual exhaust look on it. Just curious if...heck I don't know. :D

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
From what I can remember, those exhausts are notorious for blowing up...

I think two members of SBN had that issue with the Yoshi 2 into 1 full system.

·
Registered
501 Posts
yeah, but not on a twin. i think 2-1 conversions totally take away from the vtwin look. the ducati monsters, rc51, superhawk, sv1000 should all keep the 2-2 exhaust. going 2-1 just makes it too Inline-4ish

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
I believe that going to a single improves low and mid range power and it should change the exhaust note as well. Heard a RC51 with a single conversion (funny the single pipe was on the left side of the bike) and it sounded very mean. Rascus, that bike is a beauty, I'll envy your ass if you get it! Always wanted a 03 svs in copper.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
TTsixxer said:
I believe that going to a single improves low and mid range power...QUOTE]

Yep. The V-twin magazines have proven time and time again that a two-into-one system gives the best low and mid range power gain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As an SV owner, I can give you the pros and cons. Pro is that the weight carried is much less than stock. However, the weight saved over dual aftermarket slipons (boltons for the SV) is not tremendously significant. The weight of aftermarket cans is much less than stock, so it might equal a 4-5 pound difference. I have heard that it increases low-end power, but I can tell you that I have never had an issue with the lowend power being insufficient on this bike. I just prefer the look of dual cans. As to these cans blowing out, this occurs because the power pulses generated by a 1000 cc twin come in 500 cc bursts whereas pulses in a 1000 cc four come in 250cc bursts. If not repacked when the manufacturer recommend, then the cans blow out. It really doesnt happen often, so it is really no big deal. It is just personal preference, and I prefer duals. Also, try this web address www.sv1000.zyns.com. They know their stuff. I am on it as dtsv. Let me know if I can answer any other Questions. Get it Rascus -- you wont regret it.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only thing i'm waiting on is the wife to finish up her business plan and I'll be able to pick it up.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to ask about the repacking. Going to look at it on sunday hopefully.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Rascus said:

Thanks!

That's a sweet looking SV - my favorite color.
I have to agree with a few of the others - the twin pipe look/sound on a V is NICE. And, as others have said, watch out for the exploding Yosh. I still think its BS they blame the problem on the owner not repacking correctly/at all. Some of the incidencts I read about happened well before a repack should have been needed.
I'd still buy the bike though. And change back to dual pipes if that one blows. Leave it for now.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
600f2 said:
If not repacked when the manufacturer recommend, then the cans blow out. It really doesnt happen often, so it is really no big deal. .
You are very wrong. The Yoshimura TRS 2-1 system has been blowing out at less than 7,500 miles. I had a titanium blow out at 11000. Replaced it with a carbon fiber trs canister and it blew out in two weeks. I have since found countless other SV1000s riders with the yoshimura trs system that have had problems as low as 3,000 miles. Yoshimura is not owning up to a problem with their canisters. They have blamed it on everything from repacking to a scratch on the can itself. It is odd though that all of the can's show identical blowouts. I have three bikes (a gsxr750 and gsxr1000) as well. I have Yoshi on every one of them along with the Decals and Yosh box's. I really feel this is a design flaw with their system on the SV1000. They are not taking care of their customer's and have pretty much put a bad taste in my mouth. I'm in search of a factory midpipe so i can put Dual Sato's on the SV.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
The SV1000 is still my favorite bike. I have not ridden it in two months thanks to yoshimura. I would prefer to ride my SV over both my GSXR's if I could.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Naughty76 said:
The SV1000 is still my favorite bike. I have not ridden it in two months thanks to yoshimura. I would prefer to ride my SV over both my GSXR's if I could.

That's one concern I have on this bike. I'll have to ask how long he's had it on for. He's pretty eager to sell so i shouldn't have a problem. Price really isn't a factor since it's way below NADA and KBB.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
You can come across some cheap factory exhaust if you have to. It's a great bike. You will love it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts