Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which will be my first bike: a sport commuter or adventure bike. But for right now sport commuter seems easier to find a good price on and more selection so I am deciding between the SV Gladius or Ninja 650.

I want to base on which one is more money efficient and fun/enjoyable to ride for the years I own it. I only demo'd the Gladius at a Suzuki demo day and I really liked it. I also like how it has a gear indictator on the LED screen so I never have to guess what gear I am in. I don't know if the Ninja 650 has that feature because I really want a bike that tells me what gear I'm in.

SV Gladius seemed very easy to shift and very smooth transition every time. And has that quick speedy feel that is responsive and practical. I really liked that bike but I haven't tried the Ninja 650r.

Also it seems easier to find better used deals on craigslist for Suzuki SV, like I found one for $4500 OBO being a 2009 SV Gladius with 2400 miles. Maybe I could ask for $3500-4000 since it says OBO?

Well let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started on a used 2007 Ninja 650. It had 5k miles and I got it for $4200.
The 650 is a great starter bike and is very forgoving of any throttle input mistakes, while in the low RPMs. I rode it hard all the time and I would get around 45mpg. This was mostly street and very little highway. So you'll get even better MPG if your ride mostly highway.

It was a fun bike for the mountains, it wants to be in the turns all the time and I was happy to put it there.

My only complaint was that the mirrors felt like they stuck out ALOT when I was lane splitting. So if your doing that alot then maybe get smaller mirrors.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Seriously the main considerations between those two bikes are this:
Looks(pick the one that catches your eye)
Wind protection( Is this important to you?)
Ease of suspension mods( If the gladius has the same sized parts as SV650...HUGE aftermarket compared to Ninja)

Other than that they accomplish the same task of going down the same road in a very similar manner.

Both are good enough to be your first AND last bike.

First gen Ninja 650s can run on 87 octane..btw if thats important.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I'm trying to decide which will be my first bike: a sport commuter or adventure bike. But for right now sport commuter seems easier to find a good price on and more selection so I am deciding between the SV Gladius or Ninja 650.

I want to base on which one is more money efficient and fun/enjoyable to ride for the years I own it. I only demo'd the Gladius at a Suzuki demo day and I really liked it. I also like how it has a gear indictator on the LED screen so I never have to guess what gear I am in. I don't know if the Ninja 650 has that feature because I really want a bike that tells me what gear I'm in.

SV Gladius seemed very easy to shift and very smooth transition every time. And has that quick speedy feel that is responsive and practical. I really liked that bike but I haven't tried the Ninja 650r.

Also it seems easier to find better used deals on craigslist for Suzuki SV, like I found one for $4500 OBO being a 2009 SV Gladius with 2400 miles. Maybe I could ask for $3500-4000 since it says OBO?

Well let me know what you guys think.
While I wouldn't recommend either 650 as a start bike per se, I will say that they are very similar bikes. Take a look at the SV650S and SV650N for basically the same bike, minus the looks, as a Gladius. If you wish to go cheaper (650S/650SF/650N), you will be sacrificing your stock gear indicator, though.

The Ninja 650 is still going to be a tad more expensive, since they just started production in 2006 and does not have a stock gear indicator, but the aftermarket is coming along, and sure enough one is available to add. Truthfully, the indicator is more help on higher horsepower and torquier bikes. On my bike short of maybe 5th and 6th on the highway I'm always pretty damn sure which gear I'm in, just due to the power delivery on this 70~hp bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gear indicators are cheap to add to just about anybike, by the way. Cant remember where I saw them but they run about $100 or so.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Just my $.02, but SV's are cheaper and cooler than the other two. The naked ninja is really cool though; EN6R?

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
er6n

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
First bike? Buy what you think looks better. They're too similar than different. I think most people would recommend you buy whatever used over new, so you worry less about dropping it and become more sporty and grow in experience/ability faster. With a new bike, you'll probably worry about dropping it much more.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I recommend a used sv650 n. More comfortable than the S. Also way more after market and used parts market than the ninja and gladius combined.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My only complaint was that the mirrors felt like they stuck out ALOT when I was lane splitting. So if your doing that alot then maybe get smaller mirrors.
Think of them as cat's whiskers. If you touch a mirror, touching a fairing isn't far off.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Think of them as cat's whiskers. If you touch a mirror, touching a fairing isn't far off.
I was talking to a new rider who was following me once. The way he expressed his thoughts reminded me of when I first started splitting. I used to think of mirrors too but now I do like you said (at low speeds of course) and focus on the cars movements, tires, and drivers head movements than I do the mirrors or even my knees and bars.

I split comfortably at high speeds now and I think what helps is to focus on them instead of myslef.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
First bike? Ninja 250 or 500. First street bike? Only the 650 if you had an extensive dirt background.

Since people usually have made up their mind long before asking someone who has actually ridden what their opinion is, and given these two options, the Kawasaki ER-6n. If you are tall, the Versys is pretty much the same thing.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
I'm usually a "2 wheels, is 2 wheels" kinda guy but the gladius just screams girls bike to me.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Buddy of mine from softball showed up at our game last night on his brand-spankin'-new Gladius. Nice looking bike in person; pictures didn't do it justice.

I'll try and get him to let me take it out on a rip in the near future :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm guessing the Gladius seat works for ya. i sat on the floor model and the seat was killer. for some reason, there feels like 2 lines going down the seat that are right in line with my boney butt. aggravated my butt in seconds.

If you have to go with 650cc, get an older SV. tough as nails, light, and a TON of aftermarket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts