Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

Perhaps this question would better be answered in a specific forum, but the lack of traffic there leaves me doubtful of a timely answer.

My question is this...is the power delivery throughout the RPM range on, say, a Katana 600 as linear as one on a 600F4i? I ask because I am a little reluctant to pick up a sportbike with the initial "R" or "RR" attached to it and would like a little info on the power delivery of these two bikes I've mentioned. It seems to me that a sportbike like these two wouldn't be as "snappy", I guess, on the power delivery as would a bike like a 600RR. Do ya'll get what I'm saying here?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

P.S.- I'm not ruling out a 500 Ninja, by the way. I just don't want a bike that will scare me with a sudden burst of ponies when I hit a certain RPM. It tends to make me a little shaky, haha!!!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Definitely not.

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please elaborate, I'm a little dense, forgive me...thanks, man!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
there is no real sudden boost of power...but there is a power band on most bikes...i myself like to keep my bike in the power band when im riding around town so that the pwr is there at a flick of the wrist...i would recommend a "zuki" in most cases but if its your first bike id look at an used cbr600 f2/f3...

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Well, I've never ridden a Katana so I'm not ready to contest whether that has a linear powerband or not. But as a general rule of thumb, if the engine is an inline 4, there will be a total lack of bottom-end power and a wild powersurge after 7000 RPMs on a 600.

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a million for the input...I've been getting a little skeptical about the 600RR for a little while now. I've been liking them for a long time, I've just thought for about a month now that an RR would be a bit much. That's why I've been looking at an F4i or a Katana.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
For you, if you HAD to have either of thjose bikes, I'd go with the Katana. It is a nice bike, but I feel it is less dangerous than the other bikes, when it comes to sheer acceleration and newbie throttle induced mistakes. However, I'll recommend overall a Ninja 500 or an older 500-600. Even a 500 has enough power to make you shit your pants ;)

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stang Man said:
For you, if you HAD to have either of thjose bikes, I'd go with the Katana. It is a nice bike, but I feel it is less dangerous than the other bikes, when it comes to sheer acceleration and newbie throttle induced mistakes. However, I'll recommend overall a Ninja 500 or an older 500-600. Even a 500 has enough power to make you shit your pants ;)
That's the way I've kinda been leaning lately, a 500 Ninja that is. I don't have to have a 600, just thought it would be kinda nice, is all. I know a lot of guys/girls in the area looking to sell a 500 and I could pick one up for pretty cheap, around four thousand or so. I think I'll go that route for a year or so, work in a little track time, and then decide if a 750 or a 600RR is the way to go. A literbike is outta the question for at least the next two and a half to three years. We'll see...thanks again!!!

·
Registered
926 Posts
how about you meet in the middle and get a suzuki sv650s :) very rider friendly and just as fun as any 600, on the street.

between an f4i or a katana, i would definately go with an f4i. the katana i rode was a piece...just my oppinion.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
go w./ the ex500 or the gs500, problem solved

·
Registered
681 Posts
RACER X said:
go w./ the ex500 or the gs500, problem solved
yes, but even those has a slight kick-in at 8k rpms.....better a slight kick than an ass reamin' though. Get the 500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The F4i seems to me to be a good option. It is a bike yo can grow into and not necessarily grow out of quickly.

Just keep out of the max power RPM's and don't ride around with the throttle pegged and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
454 Posts
the F4i is not going to be any more friendly than the RR when it comes to power. They are very very similar, the RR makes a bit more power but the F4i is lighter. Both have a power "hit" at around 7500 rpms and both redline very high (f4i=14,300 rr=15,000).

even though the F4i is not the newest SS bike, it is still fast as hell and can be unforgiving to a newbie. Get a 500 and learn a lot!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Find the Dyno results of both bikes. That'll tell you what you are looking for.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've always been a huge fan of the F4i. However, it's certainly not a good choice for a first bike. Motorcyclist got better times in the 1/4 on it than on any other 600's. That means the thing is pretty fast. If you want a 600, look into older bikes. They will be cheaper and at least a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
454 Posts
doct0rxnick said:
I've always been a huge fan of the F4i. However, it's certainly not a good choice for a first bike. Motorcyclist got better times in the 1/4 on it than on any other 600's. That means the thing is pretty fast. If you want a 600, look into older bikes. They will be cheaper and at least a little more forgiving.
that is very true. In fact, Motorcyclist screwed up when testing the new GSXR 600 and said it was the fastest 1/4 mile 600 ever. I wrote in and let them know who is still king :D

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
On a slightly different note (not related to hp or if you can or can't handle a particular bike), I wouldn't pay 4k for a 500cc motorcycle. Seems awfully high to me.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Drifter said:
On a slightly different note (not related to hp or if you can or can't handle a particular bike), I wouldn't pay 4k for a 500cc motorcycle. Seems awfully high to me.
I was about to say the exact same thing, seems pretty high to me, I do believe you cac easily find some 500's for half that price...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts